ImageImageImageImage

Official Draft Thread: Prospects Watch

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Re: Official Draft Thread: Prospects Watch 

Post#681 » by Def Swami » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:23 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:Interesting how Chad Ford has Trey Burke as a late lotto pick.

I still think the Magic are gonna try and add another first round pick, my "dream" scenario would be walking away with 1 of Bazz/McLemore/Goodwin and one of the pg's in this draft, ideally Smart or Burke.

If by outside chance we go big Noel has actually improved alot since the start of the season, if nothing else he could be a Chandler type big, he's a force on defense, finishes strong at the rim and plays pretty unselfishly, would be a nice compliment to our other bigs who don't have alot of defensive upside.

I agree with this. My hope is that we can acquire a mid-first round pick and use the top 5 pick on Shabazz or McLemore and use the mid on one of the remaining point guards.
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant
And1: 197

Post#682 » by Noonskadoodle » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:43 am

McLemores age was mixed up becuase draftexpress had him at one age & nbadraftnet had him at another.

It's confirmed, he's 19 not 20. Only a few months older than Shabazz.

His birthday is February 11, 1993. He is 19.
blue and white
Bench Warmer
And1: 57

Post#683 » by blue and white » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:02 am

VGOSWAMI wrote:

I still think the Magic are gonna try and add another first round pick, my "dream" scenario would be walking away with 1 of Bazz/McLemore/Goodwin and one of the pg's in this draft, ideally Smart or Burke.

If by outside chance we go big Noel has actually improved alot since the start of the season, if nothing else he could be a Chandler type big, he's a force on defense, finishes strong at the rim and plays pretty unselfishly, would be a nice compliment to our other bigs who don't have alot of defensive upside.

I agree with this. My hope is that we can acquire a mid-first round pick and use the top 5 pick on Shabazz or McLemore and use the mid on one of the remaining point guards.

I just dont see the need in that. if were not drafting a future franchise pg i think we have more needs at sf and backup c/pf. We already have moore whos turned out to be a great future backup pg so unless your picking the next irving or rose then i wouldnt waste a pick on pg
Dgbarnes
Junior
And1: 196

Post#684 » by Dgbarnes » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:27 am

Agreed, as far as PGs go. Seems like there is just so much more talent to be had in the 2014 draft as opposed to 13. I'd love to get a big chip in the 2013 draft (top 5 pick). But I think our superstar is going to come in 2014.

As far as PGs, let's hope we can nab this guy Kasey Hill.. Probably one of the smoothest games I've seen in a while not to mention he grew up and goes to school in CF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KYFLA0wlXM
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#685 » by drsd » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:29 am

Dgbarnes wrote:Agreed, as far as PGs go. Seems like there is just so much more talent to be had in the 2014 draft as opposed to 13. I'd love to get a big chip in the 2013 draft (top 5 pick). But I think our superstar is going to come in 2014.

As far as PGs, let's hope we can nab this guy Kasey Hill.. Probably one of the smoothest games I've seen in a while not to mention he grew up and goes to school in CF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KYFLA0wlXM

How come there are never mixed-clips on Youtube of bad TOs and missed fade-aways???

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#686 » by drsd » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:50 am

One name that is starting to pop up is Dario Saric:
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dario-Saric-5706/

He looks to be the next Hedo. A tall SF that can handle and distribute. If he is available in a 15-20 range, Orlando could easily trade for a selection.

claudio-br
Sixth Man
And1: 750

Post#687 » by claudio-br » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:31 pm

Noonskadoodle wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCd04jqe53Y[/youtube]

he seems to be way too small. he will have difficult to finish on traffic against NBA big men. how is he on defense?
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#688 » by Cigamodnalro » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:12 pm

claudio-br wrote:
Noonskadoodle wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCd04jqe53Y[/youtube]

he seems to be way too small. he will have difficult to finish on traffic against NBA big men. how is he on defense?

Really not good. Burke is pure offense at this stage in his career. He's more Mike Bibby (young) than he is Chris Paul (the popular comparison).
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
Cigamodnalro
RealGM

Post#689 » by Cigamodnalro » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:24 pm

Assuming we stay in the T6, I see Archie Goodwin being a serious sleeper pick for us. The guy scores at will, and has the athletic prowess, ball handling, and shooting ability to generate offense literally out of thin air. Every year there is someone in the draft that starts getting Wade comparisons at the combine--I think this year he will be the guy. He's a bit more Westbrook than he is Wade, imho, but he has every ability to be an elite SG in this league. Goodwin needs to work on finishing with his left hand, and probably even more so on restraining himself on offense and playing a more controlled style of basketball, but with dedication there is no reason he can't get there. I think he shoots up the rankings as the draft approaches, and that he'll rival McLemore, Mohammad, and Noel as the most promising players in this draft in the eyes of scouts and media by the time draft day approaches.

I'd definitely play Goodwin at SG--he's too offensively oriented and unbridled to play point. He'd be almost perfect next to a controlled, relatively slow-paced PG like Jameer though. And Jameer would be great for his development and for building up that BBIQ. There's no reason Goodwin can't be Tyreke-with-a-jumper the moment he enters the league.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM

Post#690 » by Cigamodnalro » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:44 pm

Have read scouting reports describing both Goodwin (offense) and Smart (defense) as "electric" in the past few days. Like that adjective :D

Edit: As to Goodwin (above), I meant to remark that I think he is a sleeper possibility for us, not that I necessarily am in love with him as a prospect. I think the potential is definitely there, but the BBIQ isn't always, and his unbridled style of offense may well be irreconcilable with Hennigan's philosophy for this team. The questions haven't gone away and likely won't until he starts to prove himself as a pro (much as was the case for another great talent with questions, Rudy Gay). He also isn't off to the best start to the season...I just see the guy as someone especially likely to benefit by the Draft Combine, where he can use his offensive skills and athleticism to separate himself from the pack a bit in direct competition. And a young, high-ceiling, offensive closer who plays SG has to be high on our list.
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#691 » by BaunceyChillups » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:14 pm

The more I watch Burke the more I think he'll just be Jameer 2.0

a long-term starter but not much beyond that
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#692 » by Def Swami » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:54 pm

blue and white wrote:
VGOSWAMI wrote:

I just dont see the need in that. if were not drafting a future franchise pg i think we have more needs at sf and backup c/pf. We already have moore whos turned out to be a great future backup pg so unless your picking the next irving or rose then i wouldnt waste a pick on pg

I don't think we have a solid back up point guard. I think Moore is a good 2-guard, but not point guard.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM

Post#693 » by Cigamodnalro » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:20 pm

Agree. Moore is a very good shooter (when he's on), but he's not someone I'd trust to run our offense on a regular basis.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,203

Post#694 » by thelead » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:23 pm

I agree with you guys. Moore is better suited as a backup 2 and a part time 1.
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant

Post#695 » by Noonskadoodle » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:20 pm

BaunceyChillups wrote:The more I watch Burke the more I think he'll just be Jameer 2.0

Trey is MUCHHHH better at creating for others.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

Post#696 » by Nyce_1 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:19 pm

Wiggins is playing on ESPN right now. #22 BLUE
thelead
RealGM

Post#697 » by thelead » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:18 pm

Noonskadoodle wrote:
BaunceyChillups wrote:The more I watch Burke the more I think he'll just be Jameer 2.0

How do you feel about his speed and athleticism? I've only seen the youtube vids and I haven't see too much speed in the clips. Am I mistaken?
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant

Post#698 » by Noonskadoodle » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:56 am

thelead wrote:
Noonskadoodle wrote:

How do you feel about his speed and athleticism? I've only seen the youtube vids and I haven't see too much speed in the clips. Am I mistaken?

Its not necessarily SPEED but he has AMAZING deceptiveness. That will keep him as an awesome PG in the league.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#699 » by cedric76 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:22 am

We need a PG and SF and Draft mock dont have any in their top 10, so we might fight for play off and still get the player we need
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
thelead
RealGM

Post#700 » by thelead » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:47 am

cedric76 wrote:We need a PG and SF and Draft mock dont have any in their top 10, so we might fight for play off and still get the player we need

We are not making the playoffs at this point. We are closer to having the worst record in the league than the 8th playoff spot.

Return to Orlando Magic