ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards @ Clippers - 1/19/13 - 10:30 PM EST

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Wizards @ Clippers - 1/19/13 - 10:30 PM EST 

Post#1 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:38 pm

The win over the Nuggets was a statement game for John Wall.

One game after missing crucial free throws in Sacramento; against Denver, Wall bounced back to make a game-saving block. He further sealed the deal by making free throws to close out the Nuggets. Take that CCJ, SVG, and Mike Lee. For a player who some have wanted to trade, who others have questioned whether he's franchise player, and who still others say he doesn't close games any better than AJ Price; John Wall just made them all reflect on how they may save face if he proves them all wrong. That is how you silence your haters!

It was also a seminal moment for Ted and EG. This moment was big and could be a sign of important developments. For Mr Leonsis and Ernie Grunfeld, they have to be feeling vindicated. The win over Denver, particularly with it being a team win, validates them IMO. Good character guys are learning to win as a team. That Okafor/Ariza deal is NOT looking bad all of a sudden. Can it continue to look good?

Tonight the Wizards meet the 31-9 LA Clippers. http://espn.go.com/nba/standings

LAC is second only to 32-8 OKC, who the Wizards defeated a few nights ago. A win tonight could show beyond all doubt the OKC win was legitimate and that Washington can win on any night. I don't know about predicting a final score. Like Vegas, I won't put a line with Chris Paul down....

This is a very winnable game since the Clippers are without Chris Paul. If Booker, Seraphin, or even Vesely can get DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin in foul trouble, that will bode well for the Wizards. The Clippers are going to underestimate this Wizards team. Regardless of records, the Wizards are not overmatched. If the Wizards can keep it close, the difference could come down to free throws once again. Jordan and Griffin are terrible FT shooters. John Wall and Bradley Beal, time to shine! Another Beal vs UK Teammate battle. Bledsoe v Wall. Should be really fun to watch.

ESPN Game preview
Bye bye Beal.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Re: Wizards @ Clippers - 1/19/13 - 10:30 PM EST 

Post#2 » by Induveca » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:48 pm

Agree CCJ. Paul is still out I believe which makes the focus of the game Wall vs Bledsoe. They both have something to prove to one another due to their roles at Kentucky.
RealGM

Post#3 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:53 pm

Induveca wrote:Agree CCJ. Paul is still out I believe which makes the focus of the game Wall vs Bledsoe. They both have something to prove to one another due to their roles at Kentucky.

I forgot about Chris Paul! I have edited and re-edited.

With Paul out, this is more than winnable. It's practically a toss up game and maybe one he Wizard can jump on the the Clips.

This will show us how competitive Bledsoe is with Wall. I like Wall in this matchup if John does not try to be too much of a scorer. Wall has had 14 points/10 assists followed by 14 points/12 assists in his last two games. John is dealing. I think if it's not broke don't fix it trying to score too much at the expense of being a distributor.

I'm excited about this, Induveca.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#4 » by nate33 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Paul is the 3rd best player in the league. With him out, I don't think the Clippers are all that good. This is definitely a winnable game.

That said, I think the Wizards lose. After several good games in a row, it wouldn't surprise me if the Wizards feel a bit satisfied with themselves and lose some of that hunger for a win. Also, I don't know how much longer the Wizards can continue to hit from 3-point range. The Wizards have shot 48%, 48%, 64%, 18% and 56% from 3-point range in their last 5 games respectively. That's an average of 47% overall. It's unsustainable.
RealGM

Post#5 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:03 pm

Good point about the three-point shot. If you live by the three you die by the three.

I hope to see the Wizards get inside and try to get the Clipper bigs in foul trouble. Grind the game out and try to win and inside-out game.
Bye bye Beal.
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#6 » by sfam » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:09 pm

nate33 wrote:Paul is the 3rd best player in the league. With him out, I don't think the Clippers are all that good. This is definitely a winnable game.

That said, I think the Wizards lose. After several good games in a row, it wouldn't surprise me if the Wizards feel a bit satisfied with themselves and lose some of that hunger for a win. Also, I don't know how much longer the Wizards can continue to hit from 3-point range. The Wizards have shot 48%, 48%, 64%, 18% and 56% from 3-point range in their last 5 games respectively. That's an average of 47% overall. It's unsustainable.

Agreed. This is a back to back game, and the Wizards are most likely going to suffer a let down. Our best chance is the same as the OKC and Miami games - that the Clippers will look at this as a vacation game and basically take the night off.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#7 » by queridiculo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:09 pm

I recall reading that the Wizards were up there in 3 point attempts earlier in the season, not sure if that's still the case.

What I have noticed since Wall has been back though is that Washington is getting much better looks on the perimeter.

Webster has been shooting at a .400 clip all season, and with Beal seemingly having found his rhythm I don't see why the Wizards can't continue their success from beyond the arc.

I don't expect them to continue shooting around the .500 mark, but I think it's realistic to expect them to be right around .400.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#8 » by jmrosenth » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:14 pm

At least I can say this is first game of the season I'm actually looking forward to watching (albeit probably via tape delay DVR). My interest has been rekindled after attending the OKC Beal winning game a couple weeks ago, and with Wall back, this team looks like it's going to be a competitive team even against the better teams in the league. I still have major issues with the front office and management, but let's give Ernie some credit - Wall, Seraphin, and Beal all look like legit NBA starting caliber players and a nice core for the future.
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#9 » by hands11 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:23 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/schedule/_/ ... s-clippers

If you look at their long win streak, there are a lot of teams on there that are either not that good or injured.

I don't think LAC are a good as their record shows and the Wizards are not nearly as bad as theirs shows.

And no Chris Paul ? That is going to help a lot.

LAC schooled the Wizards twice last year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?id=320215012

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?id=320204027

But this is a totally different Wizards front court with Nene and Okafor with Booker, Kevin, and Ves in the wings. And even Singleton if needed.

This is a way better Wizards defensive team. They can throw players like Trevor A or Temple at a SFs and SG if they need to shut him down. Iggy had 2 pts last night though the quicker Brewer went off.

In last years games you had Booker and McGee starting. This is not that team. Nene and Okafor are just a little bit better then Booker and McGee.

Randy will focus on shutting down Jamal Crawford. That will be up to Beal, Crawford, and Temple.
Trevor A will shut down Caron Butler.

I hope we just blow them out. I can actually see that happening. Time to get this party started.
RealGM

Post#10 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:25 pm

sfam wrote:
nate33 wrote:Paul is the 3rd best player in the league. With him out, I don't think the Clippers are all that good. This is definitely a winnable game.

Agreed. This is a back to back game, and the Wizards are most likely going to suffer a let down. Our best chance is the same as the OKC and Miami games - that the Clippers will look at this as a vacation game and basically take the night off.

sfam and nate, letdown is a legitimate concern but it would surprise me if they do. I expect just the opposite.

Washington is hungry. Price, Ariza, and Wall are all just in their first few games back from injury. They have fresh legs. Randy played ten guys and most only played 20-25 minutes. That keeps players fresh. Nene and Okafor are not counted out as contributors on a back-to-back. If either player is feeling it tonight they'll play big.

I expect the Clips to have the let down. I think for once, also, the Wizards have the star power to pull this game off. Wall is going to the line tonight. Beal and Crawford could torch the Clippers. DeAndre Jordan has to deal with a lot of different looking bigs tonight.

I wouldn't be surprised if with Paul out the Wizards didn't have a big night.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#11 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:27 pm

hands11 wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/team/schedule/_/name/lac/los-angeles-clippers

If you look at their long win streak, there are a lot of teams on there that are either not that good or injured.

I don't think LAC are a good as their record shows and the Wizards are not nearly as bad as theirs shows.

And no Chris Paul ? That is going to help a lot.

+1
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User

Post#12 » by hands11 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:27 pm

Really.

I have no worry about all about them losing their hunger. They are just getting started.

As for the 3 ball, yeah, they now have some 3 ball shooters. The floor is also more spread. I expect them to continue to hit.

Beal
Webster
Trevor A
Price
Crawford

They can all hit the 3 ball. I even saw Big Balls sitting on the corner 3 line last game. From there, he is .400 %
Webster is also a good corner 3 shooter. So is Beal now. Just because is something you are not used to seeing the Wizards do, doesn't mean they are not going to keep doing it.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#13 » by doclinkin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Loved the 9 blocks 9 steals from the Nuggs game. Swarming defensive effort has been there all year even when we sucked and could not score the ball. We'll need a similar effort today, which may be tough to manage on a West coast back-to-back-- but the benefit of Witts deep rotation is that players can rest some while still playing, players don't get rusty nor worn out. I suspect B-Real the Real Deal B-Bad Brad will be at 80% at best though after getting spiked to the floor last game. Kid has to be aching all over.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#14 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:30 pm

This is a winnable game with Paul out. Does anyone remember the last time we won back to back games on the road?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#15 » by nate33 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:36 pm

jmrosenth wrote:I still have major issues with the front office and management, but let's give Ernie some credit - Wall, Seraphin, and Beal all look like legit NBA starting caliber players and a nice core for the future.

I'm not quite ready to crown Seraphin a "legit starter" just yet. I think he has the tools to be a legit starter, and perhaps even a good one, but he's still got a ways to go in the bball IQ department. If he can play like he did last night on a consistent basis, I'd be thrilled.

It's also hard to credit EG with Wall since Wall was the consensus #1.
sfam
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by sfam » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:36 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
sfam wrote:

sfam and nate, letdown is a legitimate concern but it would surprise me if they do. I expect just the opposite.

Washington is hungry. Price, Ariza, and Wall are all just in their first few games back from injury. They have fresh legs. Randy played ten guys an most only played 20-25 minutes. That keeps players fresh. Nene and Okafor are not counted out, but if they're feeling it tonight they'll play big.

I expect the Clips to have the let down. I think for once, also, the Wizards have the star power to pull this game off. Wall is going to the line tonight. Beal and Crawford could torch the Clippers. DeAndre Jordan has to deal with a lot of different looking bigs tonight.

I wouldn't be surprised if with Paul out the Wizards didn't have a big night.

It has been awesome watching Beal's shot lately. And yeah, our Bigs have become a real the strength of the team. He's going to have to continue. I know I'm wanting things too early, but I'd like to see Wall approach 30 minutes tonight. Again, though, with the back to back, I really doubt it.
sfam
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by sfam » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:40 pm

nate33 wrote:
jmrosenth wrote:I still have major issues with the front office and management, but let's give Ernie some credit - Wall, Seraphin, and Beal all look like legit NBA starting caliber players and a nice core for the future.

I'm not quite ready to crown Seraphin a "legit starter" just yet. I think he has the tools to be a legit starter, and perhaps even a good one, but he's still got a ways to go in the bball IQ department. If he can play like he did last night on a consistent basis, I'd be thrilled.

It's also hard to credit EG with Wall since Wall was the consensus #1.

Seraphin still has some work to do, but the trajectory is definitely going in the right direction. Contrast Seraphin's growth with McGee, for instance. Seraphin is a legit threat down low now - he just has to work on his court awareness, which will be lots easier with a consistent offense and rotation approach.
hands11
Banned User

Post#18 » by hands11 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:42 pm

doclinkin wrote:Loved the 9 blocks 9 steals from the Nuggs game. Swarming defensive effort has been there all year even when we sucked and could not score the ball. We'll need a similar effort today, which may be tough to manage on a West coast back-to-back-- but the benefit of Witts deep rotation is that players can rest some while still playing, players don't get rusty nor worn out. I suspect B-Real the Real Deal B-Bad Brad will be at 80% at best though after getting spiked to the floor last game. Kid has to be aching all over.

Good point Doc. I was thinking that during the Denver game but forget. His chest has got to hurt. He could play through that game with all the adrenaline rushing but I would be a little shocked if he wasn't sore this morning.

That will be the story for tonight. How does Beal feel ? If he is ok, they may blow them out. If not, if will be a closer game.

But..... it doesn't hurt to have Big Balls in the wings ready to make sure no one forgot about him.

The team is deeper then I can remember it being in a long long long time.

Wall time limit. They raised it to 25 min from 20 already. That two games of 20 and two games of 26. If I was to guess, I would think they give him a couple more at 26... maybe like 4 games at 26. Then maybe they adjust it again. But if they need him tonight and he feels good, I could see them squeezing in 28.

Walls injury isn't like Nene or Trevor A or B. At this point, they are mostly trying to avoid him pulling a muscle or tendentious from coming back to quickly.

http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/2013/0 ... p4-2358857
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#19 » by Dat2U » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:09 pm

jmrosenth wrote:At least I can say this is first game of the season I'm actually looking forward to watching (albeit probably via tape delay DVR). My interest has been rekindled after attending the OKC Beal winning game a couple weeks ago, and with Wall back, this team looks like it's going to be a competitive team even against the better teams in the league. I still have major issues with the front office and management, but let's give Ernie some credit - Wall, Seraphin, and Beal all look like legit NBA starting caliber players and a nice core for the future.

IMO Seraphin has a long way to go before he can be classified as a legit NBA starting caliber player.

For the majority of his career and this season, he's looked like Andray Blatche's shorter, fatter & less talented younger brother.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#20 » by Dat2U » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:11 pm

sfam wrote:Seraphin still has some work to do, but the trajectory is definitely going in the right direction. Contrast Seraphin's growth with McGee, for instance. Seraphin is a legit threat down low now - he just has to work on his court awareness, which will be lots easier with a consistent offense and rotation approach.

So one game changes Seraphin's trajectory???

What makes Seraphin a legit threat down low that he hasn't been all season?

Return to Washington Wizards