ImageImageImage

Leafs extend Lupul, 5 years 5.25 per

Moderator: Crowned

Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,929

Leafs extend Lupul, 5 years 5.25 per 

Post#1 » by Ado05 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:48 pm

Not a bad deal. Theres some risk to it since he only had one good season, but overall im happy with it.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Re: Leafs extend Lupul, 5 years 5.25 per 

Post#2 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:58 pm

Apparently it might be front-loaded. Biggest risk is his health.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#3 » by whysoserious » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:39 pm

I like Lupul and all but seems a bit much with the way the cap is. You can't afford to make mistakes on guys in his salary range because they just eat up your cap. Also, the Leafs handed him a limited no-trade clause. Better than a complete no-trade but I hate the Leafs handing these things out. In a cap world you need to keep as much flexibility as possible.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#4 » by J-Roc » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:52 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Apparently it might be front-loaded. Biggest risk is his health.

Even front-loaded, doesn't the cap hit still get spread out? I haven't even read yet what's been updated in this CBA from the last.
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#5 » by UN-Owen » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:17 am

If Lupul is worth 26 million over 5 years then his trade value should be in the neighbourhood of multiple high end draft picks (ie. two 1st rounders, or a 1st and two 3rd rounders)

Same with Grabovski

These players aren't going to elevate the Leafs to the status of Cup contender, they'll keep them just competitive enough to prevent them from bottoming out to land a franchise player in the draft and they take up valuable cap space in the event a superstar hits the free-agent market

It's just poor asset management to continue signing these types of players to long term deals

Lupul was a perfect buy low/sell high candidate
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#6 » by whysoserious » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:01 am

UN-Owen wrote:If Lupul is worth 25 million over 5 years then his trade value should be in the neighbourhood of multiple high end draft picks (ie. two 1st rounders, or a 1st and two 3rd rounders)

Same with Grabovski

These players aren't going to elevate the Leafs to the status of Cup contender, they'll keep them just competitive enough to prevent them from bottoming out to land a top 3 pick and they take up valuable cap room in the event a superstar hits the free-agent market

It's just poor asset management to continue signing these types of players to long term deals

MLSE sure proves time and time again they don't know Asset and Cap Management. I mean Lupul is 29 coming off a career year. You're paying him as though you're projecting even better numbers over the next several years yet you have not had a true number one center in Toronto since Sundin and you really can't land one with they types of deals you've been handing out.

I really don't know what to say about this.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,384

Post#7 » by YogiStewart » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:49 am

he probably got $0.5-1 mill/year too much. and length is too much by 1-2 years.
but...in the grand scheme of things, you overpay some players slightly and get great deals on other players. not that much of a big deal.
i would have waited 20 or so games, though, before making this offer. he had one very good year and a few injury-riddled years. back injuries shouldn't be taken lightly.

this isn't Connolley-awful, but it isn't the most savvy of deals
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#8 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Our cap is still in great shape. Not really worried about their ability to manage it, frankly. We still have two buyouts and a significant portion of space in the off-season to add at least one major piece, be it a goalie or an upgrade at C as well as have some left over for Kessel's huge raise. We're retaining a strength, which is goal scoring. And goals are expensive. So are mobile D men, and we have those in spades.

The way I look at it is if we stink this year, we'll get another high pick to mitigate some of the salary swell that will occur trying to retain some of our better players. If we end up surprising and sneak in or get closer to the playoffs, we should have one of the key pieces under control.
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Post#9 » by _venom_ » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:39 pm

The thing that hurt the Leafs in these negotiations was that Lupul is already on a deal paying him 4.25 mil. There's no way he wouldnt get a raise from that considering he's basically been a point per game player for us since he's been here. He seems to have great chemistry with kessel and he's good in the lockeroom. After we buyout Komisarek, we will still have big money to go after a top free agent like Getzlaf (hopefully he makes it to FA). Hopefully Lupul can stay healthy, if he does then this deal is fine.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,929

Post#10 » by Ado05 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:32 pm

Actually, if Lupul can do what he did last year, this deal is very good value wise. But it was just to much of a risk for me, and I wouldnt have done the deal just yet.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,941

Post#11 » by CPT » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:41 pm

I think the risk:reward ratio was in favour of waiting to give him an extension.

Even if he repeats last year's numbers (per game), I don't think he'd be getting a ton more than they gave him.

If he fell short or got injured again, he'd probably be more in the 3-4 mil range over a shorter term, especially under the new CBA.

It's tough though, with Grabo setting the bar, and Lupul already making 4+.
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Post#12 » by _venom_ » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:27 am

Well It didn't take long for lupul to get injured...fractured forearm. In all likelihood that's the season for him. Awful.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,384

Post#13 » by YogiStewart » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:47 am

_venom_ wrote:Well It didn't take long for lupul to get injured...fractured forearm. In all likelihood that's the season for him. Awful.

YogiStewart wrote:i would have waited 20 or so games, though, before making this offer. he had one very good year and a few injury-riddled years. back injuries shouldn't be taken lightly.

this isn't Connolley-awful, but it isn't the most savvy of deals

not related to his back, but some dudes (read: Carlo C) can never stay healthy. oh well. only 5 more years of his contract. maybe this is yet another anomoly in a career riddled with injury anomolies
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#14 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:46 pm

It's kind of amazing that Colaiacovo has played in the league ten years. One of our worst trades in recent years, sending him and Steen out for Lee Stempniak. Was that Fletcher?

This wasn't an injury based on reckless play or anything. He'll be back for the playoffs.
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#15 » by UN-Owen » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:32 pm

Sign Lupul to a 5 year deal

Or

Trade Lupul for high end picks then use the created cap space to sign his replacement

Only one of those scenarios maximizes asset value

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs