2013 Season Thread

Moderator: Mr Swagtastic

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

2013 Season Thread 

Post#1 » by ajaX82 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:01 pm

Hopefully we get some good talk in here. Season starts tonight in St. Louis, a big first test for our guys!
drew_28
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: 2013 Season Thread 

Post#2 » by drew_28 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:07 pm

Tonight will be tough no question, but i'm not sure why everyone loves St. Louis this year. Colour me biased, but the blues have a great defence and a good goalie combo (if they play as well as they did last year) but nothing at all frightening up front. They have a bunch of guys that could get 30 points this year, but I don't feel like they have that 1 or 2 player punch that you can lean on for goals.

Aside from the blues talk, i'm very excited to see how Brunner, Zberg and Datz look up front. They'll need to carry this team because the third line is looking awful. I'd expect Nyquist gets a call, and i'd rather see him play with Cleary and Helm then Eaves or Mursak.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by ajaX82 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:50 pm

drew_28 wrote:Tonight will be tough no question, but i'm not sure why everyone loves St. Louis this year. Colour me biased, but the blues have a great defence and a good goalie combo (if they play as well as they did last year) but nothing at all frightening up front. They have a bunch of guys that could get 30 points this year, but I don't feel like they have that 1 or 2 player punch that you can lean on for goals.

Aside from the blues talk, i'm very excited to see how Brunner, Zberg and Datz look up front. They'll need to carry this team because the third line is looking awful. I'd expect Nyquist gets a call, and i'd rather see him play with Cleary and Helm then Eaves or Mursak.

Well I think we know why people like the Blues this year: fast, young, exciting, physical. I mean they killed us. We looked slow and old and couldn't even begin to match the physicality of the game.

I truly hope we go for a youth movement early. Samuelsson on the second line over a guy like Nyquist (or even Tatar) is a cruel joke.
drew_28
Sophomore

Post#4 » by drew_28 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:30 pm

I have to agree with you there...I clearly had my Red Wing blinders on, or simply hadn't watched enough Blues games. They were dominant and it was bad. I was expecting a lot more from the Datz line but the entire team looked slow.

Nyquist needs to be brought up yesterday, experience won't win this season, speed and youth will.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by ajaX82 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:42 pm

drew_28 wrote:Nyquist needs to be brought up yesterday, experience won't win this season, speed and youth will.

Exactly. And if there was ever a time to give these guys a tryout, to get acclimated to a season, I mean this is it. Let's have the growing pains now, so that next year, during a full season, the kids have played and know what the NHL is about.

We aren't winning the Cup this year; may as well set ourselves up for future runs and not cling hopelessly to vets and players that won't help in the future.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:39 am

Wasn't pretty but we eked out a win. Brunner's SO goal was nasty
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#7 » by Lionlifer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:46 pm

We couldn't buy a goal last night, so the loss was tough.

But on the bright side we get some rest before the new and improved (GREATLY) Wild come into town
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by ajaX82 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:47 pm

Lionlifer wrote:We couldn't buy a goal last night, so the loss was tough.

But on the bright side we get some rest before the new and improved (GREATLY) Wild come into town

Our forwards have not been good. I'm worried that scoring is going to be a problem all year.
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#9 » by Sheeeeed » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:28 pm

ajaX82 wrote:
Lionlifer wrote:We couldn't buy a goal last night, so the loss was tough.

Our forwards have not been good. I'm worried that scoring is going to be a problem all year.

The defense hasn't been so great either. All the injuries aren't helping either.

Holland really needs to make a trade, and hes going have to because the Wings could end up over the contract limit next season. They should make a trade for either Subban or Benn if they continue to hold out.
drew_28
Sophomore

Post#10 » by drew_28 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:00 am

I'm really hoping he pulls the trigger on Subban. We need defence bad.

The forwards will figure it out..we have to much top six talent to not get goals. But I feel awful for Howard, he's been left out to dry every game.

Our special teams needs to get better also (another reason why Subban would be great)

What would you do for Subban...

I'd do something like: Tatar, Lashoff and Abdelkader for Subban and a 3rd.

(I don't want to trade draft picks, we'll likely end up with a good one this year, and it's a deep draft)
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:36 pm

drew_28 wrote:I'm really hoping he pulls the trigger on Subban. We need defence bad.

The forwards will figure it out..we have to much top six talent to not get goals. But I feel awful for Howard, he's been left out to dry every game.

Our special teams needs to get better also (another reason why Subban would be great)

What would you do for Subban...

I'd do something like: Tatar, Lashoff and Abdelkader for Subban and a 3rd.

(I don't want to trade draft picks, we'll likely end up with a good one this year, and it's a deep draft)

P.K. just signed, but I sincerely doubt it was to be traded.

Another loss a couple nights ago, to the Hawks. Things aren't looking pretty outside the Minnesota game
drew_28
Sophomore

Post#12 » by drew_28 » Mon Feb 4, 2013 4:19 am

Yea..No Subban.

Sucks.

Our defence is hurting big time. At least the draft is deep this year.
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#13 » by Sheeeeed » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:07 pm

The defensemen isn't looking too promising in free agency this summer especially with Edler resigning with the Canucks. Unless the Wings make a trade for someone like Yandle, I can see Sproul or Ouellet having a real chance to be on the opening day roster.

Tatar has looked real good for the Wings. It'll be disappointing if he gets sent back down.
drew_28
Sophomore

Post#14 » by drew_28 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:37 am

Tatar has looked great out there.

I was hoping that with the injuries Nyquist would establish himself on a line.

I'm pretty disappointed with the play of Filpulia and it's time for Cleary and Sammulesson to hang up the skates.

Defence is definitely our top priority this off-season. They are looking way to slow out there.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by ajaX82 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:12 am

The kids SHOULD continue to play. Tatar is beyond GR and has looked comfortable and Nyquist is obviously super talented. Instead of letting the old guys crawl around the ice, why not continue to look to the future?

The D is bad. No Smith hurts, but they're just bad. Quincey has been a trainwreck

Return to Detroit Red Wings