ImageImageImageImage

The Tobias Harris Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

The Tobias Harris Thread 

Post#1 » by Skin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Henny cast some doubt in me 10 minutes prior to the deadline without any whisper of a rumor going on, then in a magical instant pulled off a heist that proved once again that he is a genius! I'm still teaching myself to trust him, but this one was another lesson learned.

Tobias Harris is a very promising young player who will fit in very nicely here in Orlando and be with us until at least 2016. His contract is the perfect example of what we need in the new CBA climate.

Here are some highlights of his young career:

2012 Summer League - 20.8 PPG, 7 RPG
http://www.nba.com/summer-league/2012/p ... as_harris/

•Tobias Harris, Milwaukee Bucks – Depending on what one thinks about Bismack Biyombo‘s birth certificate, Harris was either the youngest or second-youngest player in the NBA last season. The former Tennessee Volunteer played like anything but a youngin’ in Las Vegas, however, as he averaged 21.5 points and eight rebounds over five games. Whether or not he earned himself more minutes after an inconsistent rookie year is still up for debate, but it was clear he was better than almost everyone on the floor at Thomas & Mack Center.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... standouts/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h14uLDo0zAI[/youtube]
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,840

Re: The Tobias Harris Thread 

Post#2 » by JF5 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:09 pm

He looks pretty good...

I like the deal because you pretty much replace a role player with another future role player.

I liked JJ, but he was going to demand too much money. Especially when he's only a Sixth man.

So welcome to Orlando, Tobias.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,072

Post#3 » by SOUL » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:11 pm

TO-BY, TO-BY, TO-BY
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#4 » by SOUL » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:11 pm

TO-BY, TO-BY, TO-BY
JustDwight
Starter
And1: 111

Post#5 » by JustDwight » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:14 pm

Saint Nicolas wrote:TO-BY, TO-BY, TO-BY

OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#6 » by OrlandO » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:14 pm

Whoa 21pts over the summer? Not bad at all. I'm warming up to the trade. I think Bucks fans are disappointed he's gone, which is a good sign for us.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,355

Post#7 » by M-C-G » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:17 pm

Bucks fan here; I would much rather have tossed you the 1st than Tobes. He is an extremely driven man, hard worker and showed flashes of domination, albeit in summer league. He has a really awkward style that makes him tough to compare to other players, all the while maintaining great upper body control and a soft touch.

In Summer league, we saw him develop his above the rim game, which had us all drooling over what he might become. Then the season started, and he was basically instantly demoted and never saw the duty except for mop up time. There are a lot of concerns over his foot speed/quickness, but I think they are over blown. I think he was a guy that was never asked to play defense and will need to spend a lot of time committing to learning how to do it, but he definitely has the ethic to do it.

He is also a very very efficient scorer, but as I mentioned, it looks awkward.

I know that I , and quite a few other Tobe fans will be watching his career with great interest....I really believe that we are going to regret this trade. If JJ resigns it softens the blow.

So what can you tell me about Ish and Ayon, what do we have to look forward to?
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#8 » by Truth24 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:17 pm

Tobias Harris was the one prospect from the Bucks that I really wanted if we were to trade J.J. and Henny was able to pull him from them. I do believe we have our future 3 between Harris and Harkless and we get to see the complete opposite between these two. Tobias is a offensive machine he is able to drive, shoot, and do things offensively that Harkless can't. I can't wait to see Tobias get some game time in a Orlando Jersey.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#9 » by Skin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Tobias Harris ‏@tobias31

God is great! I walk in his path with his grace! #ThankyouLord
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#10 » by SOUL » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:27 pm

M-C-G wrote:So what can you tell me about Ish and Ayon, what do we have to look forward to?

We were really excited about Ayon and then he just.... never lived up to it. He was injured in the beginning and his defense was downright pitiful at times, however he does show flashes of brilliance, hustles hard, is a great passer for a big, and he's quick around the basket. He can potentially be really good for you guys, but it's all mental with him.

Ish, eh. Sometimes when he dribbles he will literally lose the ball. He's not a great shooter. He has hops though and will block people you don't expect him to block, also he isn't really horrible, just not good either. So I don't know if he'll get minutes.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,139

Post#11 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:31 pm

M-C-G wrote:Bucks fan here; I would much rather have tossed you the 1st than Tobes. He is an extremely driven man, hard worker and showed flashes of domination, albeit in summer league. He has a really awkward style that makes him tough to compare to other players, all the while maintaining great upper body control and a soft touch.

In Summer league, we saw him develop his above the rim game, which had us all drooling over what he might become. Then the season started, and he was basically instantly demoted and never saw the duty except for mop up time. There are a lot of concerns over his foot speed/quickness, but I think they are over blown. I think he was a guy that was never asked to play defense and will need to spend a lot of time committing to learning how to do it, but he definitely has the ethic to do it.

He is also a very very efficient scorer, but as I mentioned, it looks awkward.

I know that I , and quite a few other Tobe fans will be watching his career with great interest....I really believe that we are going to regret this trade. If JJ resigns it softens the blow.

So what can you tell me about Ish and Ayon, what do we have to look forward to?

From what I have read, the general perception of Harris is that he is a talented offensive player particularly in the paint and that his shot, defense, and quickness need work. What separates him from all the other tweener 3-4 prospects that come through the NBA? How would you rate his BBIQ?

And Ish is one of the worst PGs in the league. Can't shoot and gets very out of control. Ayon is a serviceable cheap big that will throw up some shots that will make your head ache, but will play aggressive defense and throw great passes.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 954

Post#12 » by Devin 1L » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Ah!

I really like Harris!

Assembling quite the young front court. And very cheap at that.
MoneyInDaBank07
Junior
And1: 210

Post#13 » by MoneyInDaBank07 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:40 pm

OrlandO wrote:Whoa 21pts over the summer? Not bad at all. I'm warming up to the trade. I think Bucks fans are disappointed he's gone, which is a good sign for us.

That's an understatement. Obviously our management didn't value him as much as the fans did :( . Hope he plays well for you guys though, he's a good guy.
"I love Sam Cassell. He's a great guy, but he does look like E.T." - Charles Barkley
Potterman
Lead Assistant
And1: 35

Post#14 » by Potterman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:40 pm

Looking at how he has played. I am indifferent on this trade. Oh well, I guess we will just see how he develops. We still have a pretty good logjam of healthy/unhealthy Fowards.
:rockon: DEFCON - FIRESALE ON THE MAGIC! :rockon:
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,331

Post#15 » by MagicMadness » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:42 pm

I don't know who this guy is, but if Bucks fans are unhappy to lose him then cool.

Maybe we've got another Vucevic-type on our hands, who knows.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#16 » by M-C-G » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:43 pm

I don't think Tobes is a 3-4 tweener...I think he is an old school SF with the ability to out muscle anyone that is guarding him. On the same token, I don't see him being able to defend an explosive SF like Harkless....Those two are pretty ying and yang if you ask me (not that I have seen much of Hark).

I actually think Tobes has a nice handle, and is a fairly decent passer. I think the major issue is that quickness, but after watching Ellis the quickest guy on the court get burned night after night, I don't think quickness is that huge of an issue on defense, so much as wanted to play defense well.

On offense I would think Tobes rates out to have a above average IQ...He plays within his strengths, doesn't seem to force, and based on the limited playing time I saw, can get others involved. Somewhere much much much higher than Ellis, but definitely below a Dunleavy or Redick.
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#17 » by CourtsideTV » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:44 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNireoJYV5I[/youtube]
Work Hard
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#18 » by M-C-G » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:46 pm

I think this is a pretty good indicator of what you get on offense, but definitely go check out his summer league stuff...He was on a whole nother level.

Edit: looks like I was just beaten to the Celtic highlights.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#19 » by RookieStar » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:47 pm

Eeerrrr who is this guy??
mbn23
Pro Prospect
And1: 76

Post#20 » by mbn23 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:48 pm

so everyone seems really high on Tobias, but what about Udrih and Lamb?
Just Sayin

Return to Orlando Magic