ImageImageImageImageImage

Wiz vs Denver Game Thread 2/22/13 7PM - Its a win

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,114

Re: Wiz vs Denver Game Thread 2/22/13 7PM 

Post#61 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:07 am

I'm one of the few that wouldn't mind seeing Okafor resigned if we could get him at a decent price. I mean his game isn't really based on athleticism, quickness, or anything else that will rapidly deteriorate with age. If he keeps up his play why no sign him to a 2-3 year contract.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#62 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:07 am

hands11 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:02 pm wrote:Its all you now Beal.

Should be interesting to see if they team comes out unified and playing good team ball.

If those report, you would think they circle the wagons.

Good chance Beal has a big game to make a statement.

:nod:
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,114

Post#63 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:13 am

hands11 wrote:
Three double doubles.

Wall
Beal
Okafor

When is the late time that happened.

7 players scored between 12 and 17 pts

Pretty impressive.

Actually, a couple games back Wall, Nene, and Okafor had double-doubles in the win versus Milwaukee.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#64 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:14 am

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:Beal was the only starter to play more than 30 minutes. I don't think anyones going to complain about 7 players scoring in double digits. I Wish randy would play Wall for the first 9-10 minutes, sit him until about the 10 or 9 minute mark and do likewise in the second half, enough with these prolonged benchings.

I don't think games like that can happen without good team play and good coaching.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User

Re: Wiz vs Denver Game Thread 2/22/13 7PM - Its a win 

Post#65 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:20 am

I'll have to go back and watch the rest. I feel asleep after the first quarter, but in that little bit I saw, they did seem to look very unified as a team. Something felt different. They just seemed to all be in the same page.

I still think the timing of the trade was bad and they got no value, but Crawford personality didn't fit the team. Been saying that for a while. Thats why I always thought they would move him one day.

At least its over. Like ripping a band-aid off.

Now if they just add the right kind of players, we won't have to worry about getting ride of them.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#66 » by dangermouse » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:23 am

BRADLEY

"CRASH"

BEALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

what a game for him.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
hands11
Banned User

Post#67 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:24 am

So did Webster get those extra 10 minutes at SG that Beal didn't play ?
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#68 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:44 am

Beal is the real deal, I love the scoring balance on this team. Wall played solid defense and passed great but he needs to cut down on those turnovers asap.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#69 » by nuposse04 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:48 am

I honestly believe that clinching jumper by Wall could do loads for his confidence. I haven't seen him make a potentially game sealing/winning shot since Kentucky. What also is odd, and maybe its just me, but he seems to hit baseline jumpers a bit better than ones from the elbows or top of the key. Couple turnovers too many by him but in a game this fast you can expect to get a few extra...still needs to cut it down.

Beal is so pleasant to watch. He's attacking more too, good to see.

Props to Randy for actually utilizing Booker and Singleton in a competent manner.
ST21
Junior
And1: 1

Post#70 » by ST21 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:02 am

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:Beal is the real deal, I love the scoring balance on this team. Wall played solid defense and passed great but he needs to cut down on those turnovers asap.

we all know that's not happening.

and that jumper doesn't mean crap for wall. we all thought these jumpers meant he was turning a corner as a rookie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPjs5-fpUS4

2:45
@garretts703 on twitter
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#71 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:15 am

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:Beal was the only starter to play more than 30 minutes. I don't think anyones going to complain about 7 players scoring in double digits. I Wish randy would play Wall for the first 9-10 minutes, sit him until about the 10 or 9 minute mark and do likewise in the second half, enough with these prolonged benchings.

That would mean Wall would play 40 minutes a game. Then people would complain about riding Wall for too many minutes on an iffy knee.

Please, enough with the whining about minutes distribution. There is nothing unusual about Wall's minutes. Wittman isn't icing him on the bench. If a starter plays 36 minutes a game, It's a mathematical fact that they must sit for a minimum of 6 minutes in the middle of each half (assuming that the starter also finishes the game). Wall played 33 minutes. That means he must sit at least 7.5 minutes in each half. It's impossible for him not to sit at least 7.5 minutes. The fact that Wall tends to come in after sitting and proceed to turn the ball over is Wall's fault, not Wittman's.

God! The complaining around here is just absurd sometimes!
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#72 » by 80sballboy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:33 am

RustyMagoo wrote:The Beal in the sky keeps on turning!

A Journey reference! Nice.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#73 » by 80sballboy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:41 am

Good game. Watched it on DVR and wasn't sure after a 64-64 half that we would get it done. Denver is absolutely horrible on defense. Javale should play more minutes for them because he protects the rim but he's such a poor offensive player.

Want to see Temple play more than 2 minutes. Andre Miller was just killing Price, then Ariza, then whomever guarded him. Temple did a decent job in the few possessions he had. I don't mind the Ariza/Webster combo at the 2-3 but both are horrible ballhandlers. That's why they are small forwards.

I thought John tried to match Lawson's speed a little too much and then overpassed some. If you take away the turnovers, he had a very good point guard game. But you can't. He still needs a better floor game but that jumper sealed the deal.

Love Beal. Kid's a bit reckless and I don't want him shooting technicals. Attn Randy: He's 19. Put Webster on the line.

Price had a great first half and then became AJ Price in the second half. He was awful. The whole bench was awful for the most part aside from Ariza. The way Okafor and Nene are playing right now, when Witt goes to the bench, there's a huge drop-off whether its Singleton, Seraphin or Booker.

Another speedy team on Saturday in the Rockets. Need more from the bench to win that game.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#74 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:46 am

80sballboy wrote:Good game. Watched it on DVR and wasn't sure after a 64-64 half that we would get it done. Denver is absolutely horrible on defense. Javale should play more minutes for them because he protects the rim but he's such a poor offensive player.

IMO, you've got that backwards.

McGee is a pretty good offensive player because of his ability to finish, and he has even developed some decent post moves. McGee is an awful defender who is always late on rotations and looking for the highlight reel block instead of just getting a hand in a guy's face. His lack of defense is why Karl can't start him. It's not a coincidence that we went from being one of the worst defenses in the league to one of the best as soon as we traded McGee for Nene.
hands11
Banned User

Post#75 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:31 am

nate33 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:Good game. Watched it on DVR and wasn't sure after a 64-64 half that we would get it done. Denver is absolutely horrible on defense. Javale should play more minutes for them because he protects the rim but he's such a poor offensive player.

IMO, you've got that backwards.

McGee is a pretty good offensive player because of his ability to finish, and he has even developed some decent post moves. McGee is an awful defender who is always late on rotations and looking for the highlight reel block instead of just getting a hand in a guy's face. His lack of defense is why Karl can't start him. It's not a coincidence that we went from being one of the worst defenses in the league to one of the best as soon as we traded McGee for Nene.

No. It isn't.

That's why we needed to trade. The Big Tease.

Just watched the post game interviews.

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... ec17ed0000

Wow. Was Crawford really that much of a drain. Everyone seems so much happier. Listen to background laughter in the locker room. I don't ever think I have seem Randy so relaxed and happy.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#76 » by jivelikenice » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:12 am

Went to the game and sat courtside on the baseline. It's gives you a totally different perspective on what you're seeing. I'll go into more detail later but here's my quick take:

1. Beal is a stud...outside of the offense, he stole a ton of rebounds that Faried otherwise would have come up with and got us possession. He has star potential...

2. Wall is like a five tool prospect....there will be ups and downs and it might take a little longer than we hope, but he'll get there. The problem is since we have no go to scorer, when the game tightens he has to make something out of nothing and it gets him in trouble. The defense is definitely accounting for him though and its opening up stuff for the other guys. You can also tell he's a rhythm player. He needs to get warmed up and in the flow and the long stretchs hurt. His touch on his passes is gone and it takes him a few to get the blood flowing again.

3. Néne struggles against length because of his inability to get off the ground. Randy was smart to leave Okafor in and take Néne out in the 4th

4. Refs were AWFUL. Couldn't believe how much contact Denver was allowed while Miller and Lawson got the whistle over & over again.....miller was just throwing his body into retreating players.
B-easy
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#77 » by B-easy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:15 am

ST21 wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:Beal is the real deal, I love the scoring balance on this team. Wall played solid defense and passed great but he needs to cut down on those turnovers asap.

and that jumper doesn't mean crap for wall. we all thought these jumpers meant he was turning a corner as a rookie

Woah, his jumper looked better as a rookie.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#78 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:24 pm

jivelikenice wrote:Went to the game and sat courtside on the baseline. It's gives you a totally different perspective on what you're seeing. I'll go into more detail later but here's my quick take:

1. Beal is a stud...outside of the offense, he stole a ton of rebounds that Faried otherwise would have come up with and got us possession. He has star potential...

He's got a nose for the ball - something you can't teach which is easy to overlook. I think it's a major thing that separates him from Lamb from UConn/Ok City.

2. Wall is like a five tool prospect....there will be ups and downs and it might take a little longer than we hope, but he'll get there. The problem is since we have no go to scorer, when the game tightens he has to make something out of nothing and it gets him in trouble. The defense is definitely accounting for him though and its opening up stuff for the other guys. You can also tell he's a rhythm player. He needs to get warmed up and in the flow and the long stretchs hurt. His touch on his passes is gone and it takes him a few to get the blood flowing again.

Does he hit for power and average? :) He's got to keep defenses honest. If not, the defense packs it in inside - making everything much more difficult.

3. Néne struggles against length because of his inability to get off the ground. Randy was smart to leave Okafor in and take Néne out in the 4th

I wonder if Nene is going to play today. You're right that length has bothered him more lately.

4. Refs were AWFUL. Couldn't believe how much contact Denver was allowed while Miller and Lawson got the whistle over & over again.....miller was just throwing his body into retreating players.

The one criticism of our guards' D last night was Miller was out-physicalling them - I noticed him picking on Price and Beal for a stretch when they were paired up. An old PG like Miller shouldn't be beating us.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#79 » by willbcocks » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:12 pm

I love Beal. Love him. Sent flowers and chocolates to his house after the game.

Wall prides himself on getting back on defense, and he is doing a fantastic job at stopping/slowing down the opponent's fast break. Since that's a key task for a pg, it's helping our defense a lot. It's almost like watching Westbrook though--he does a lot of great things and a lot of terrible things. Even if Wall gets his act together, he'll probably be like that, just with more things in the great direction.

Side note: Iggy's really not that good. He's just invisible so much. It's a career year for Webster, so maybe it's unfair to use this year as a point of comparison, but has Iggy been any more of an impact player this year?
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#80 » by GhostsOfGil » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:38 pm

B-easy wrote:
ST21 wrote:

Woah, his jumper looked better as a rookie.

:banghead: It does. His release is so much quicker in this video.

Return to Washington Wizards