2013 Draft Targets (#9, #26, #52, #59)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#301 » by The J Rocka » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:38 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:McLemore is okay, but Oladipo's motor and athleticism makes up for his limited skill set, so I think we can all agree that's the way to go

The way to go is to get a guy that can make shots. McLemore does it from everywhere.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,576

Post#302 » by Klomp » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:20 am

The J Rocka wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:McLemore is okay, but Oladipo's motor and athleticism makes up for his limited skill set, so I think we can all agree that's the way to go

The way to go is to get a guy that can make shots. McLemore does it from everywhere.

We scored 111 points tonight. We have guys who can make shots.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 681

Post#303 » by karch34 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:43 am

But we don't score 111 every night and they don't make shots consistently. I really wouldn't have an issue with any of Muhammed, McLemore, Smart, or Oladipo with our pick.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#304 » by The J Rocka » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:41 am

Klomp wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:

Not consistently we don't. Our outside shooting has been pretty poor. Budinger & Love are only going to lift us to be average at best. We're obviously going to be better with McLemore's offensive game or Oladipo's defensive game but I'm taking the shooter to put next to Rubio & AK. He doesn't need to be a no. 1 option either because chances are he's going to be your 2nd/3rd best player. I don't think he's ever going to be a superstar, face of the franchise player (hence the overrated draft) but that's no problem having Love & Rubio here.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#305 » by Tirion » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:51 am

The J Rocka wrote:

You can find shooters elsewhere. McLemore is just too damn passive. He's Jeremy Lamb 2.0, which is nice, but why settle for that, when you can do better? If you're drafting in the top 10, you need to pick the most talented guy, providing you can identify him.
JDthrillinger
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#306 » by JDthrillinger » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:57 am

[RCG] wrote:I'd throw McCollum in there as well. He's a guy we could potential trade back a couple of spots for if we see a lot of those guys taken already. He shoots lights out and has since he was a freshman. Capable ball-handler too.

I'd probably add him as 9th on the list but at just 6'3" we're almost better off keeping both Luke and JJ as Mccollum is unlikely to be a significant upgrade to either of them in year one. I still think it's very likely that this pick is traded(possibly with D-Will) for an established player whether it's for better or worse.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#307 » by NikolaPekovic » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:05 am

I wonder wat kahn would do if we somehow got a top 3 pick in the lottery.

noel, mcelmore , shabazz would make us better and ensures us a good future. not sure what veterens i would trade the pick for.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#308 » by The J Rocka » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:29 am

Tirion wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:

You can find shooters elsewhere. McLemore is just too damn passive. He's Jeremy Lamb 2.0, which is nice, but why settle for that, when you can do better? If you're drafting in the top 10, you need to pick the most talented guy, providing you can identify him.

I think he'll learn to be more consistent as time goes on. I don't think he has much confidence in his ball handling skills so that's why he'll sit in the corner or look to be a bit passive. I don't think he'll be that leader of a squad but I think he can fill in nicely on our team and go on to have a nice NBA career. I wouldn't expect a 6x all-star or any scoring titles but he could be a JR Smith/Jason Richardson type player if he reaches his full potential. I see him as the safe pick.

Most talented guys are Noel, Bennett, Shabazz, and even Oladipo. In a good draft, I think McLemore would go 6-12, but seeing that this draft is pretty weak, I'm not surprised to see him in the top 5 all year around.

The key will be to see how he handles himself in the spotlight come MM time.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#309 » by Worm Guts » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:34 pm

Does it worry anyone that Olapido is sort of coming out of nowhere as a junior?
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#310 » by AQuintus » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:40 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Does it worry anyone that Olapido is sort of coming out of nowhere as a junior?

Of course not. After all, NBA superstar Wes Johnson came out of nowhere as a junior and he's been a huge success story. :wink:
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#311 » by C.lupus » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:01 pm

Klomp wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:

That must be why we are 30th in the league in 3 pt shooting %, 25th in the league in FG%, and 23rd in the league on ORtg.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,576

Post#312 » by Klomp » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:04 pm

C.lupus wrote:That must be why we are 30th in the league in 3 pt shooting %, 25th in the league in FG%, and 23rd in the league on ORtg.

I said we CAN make shots, I never said that we do it often :D
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#313 » by [RCG] » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:04 am

Otto Porter :o
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#314 » by Mattya » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:23 am

First time I got to watch Cauley-Stein tonight. I would like him if we got a wing with our pick and traded up from the Memphis pick. Very active, and mobile. Showed some really good passing instincts as well.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#315 » by cpfsf » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:18 am

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,007

Post#316 » by moss_is_1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:22 am

If we can't get a top pick to grab McLemore, Shabazz or Noel...idk who to pick. I hope we could trade it for a decent veteran.

Oladipo looks like the best bet for us. He could be the hyper athletic defender at the 2 for us, with Shved being able to play the 6th man role.

I guess this could be a good time to grab a nice athletic backup 5 or as insurance if Pek were to leave.

Rudy Gobert would be pretty cool as a backup 4/5...then use the other guys like D-will(hopefully playing better all the way to the end of the year) to get us a real SG.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#317 » by andyhop » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:10 am

Worm Guts wrote:Does it worry anyone that Olapido is sort of coming out of nowhere as a junior?

His defensive ability was there last year ,the big difference this year is his offensive production which has spiked out of the norm due to his 3 point shooting (on a limited amoounts of shots).If you are getting him to be a defensive wing who might be able to chip in with a bit of scoring and possibly develop into a 3rd or 4th scorer down the line ,I don't see it as a worry.If you expect him to be a defender who can hit the 3 at a high rate on the way to 15pts+ a game then it is a worry .
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,007

Post#318 » by moss_is_1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:33 am

The more i watch and read up on Oladipo, the more I love him for us.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#319 » by Worm Guts » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:27 pm

andyhop wrote:

His defensive ability was there last year ,the big difference this year is his offensive production which has spiked out of the norm due to his 3 point shooting (on a limited amoounts of shots).If you are getting him to be a defensive wing who might be able to chip in with a bit of scoring and possibly develop into a 3rd or 4th scorer down the line ,I don't see it as a worry.If you expect him to be a defender who can hit the 3 at a high rate on the way to 15pts+ a game then it is a worry .

If we're going to spend a top 10 pick on the guy, we probably need to expect at least 12-14 ppg. Perimeter players drafted mainly because of their defense haven't turned out great either.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#320 » by andyhop » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:19 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
If we're going to spend a top 10 pick on the guy, we probably need to expect at least 12-14 ppg. Perimeter players drafted mainly because of their defense haven't turned out great either.

If you don't believe that the massive jump this year in his shooting is real then he really doesn't fit what we need for the team.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves