Victor Oladipo

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Victor Oladipo 

Post#1 » by Hogified05 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:38 am

How good is this guy? He is starting to really impress me. He affects the game in so many facets and has tons of athleticism. He kind of reminds me of Dwade expect not as good of a playmaker/dribbler. Do you think he has worked his way into the top 10? He could be a pretty nice sidekick to a big time scorer IMO in the league.
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Re: Victor Oladipo 

Post#2 » by Cammo101 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:51 am

He has played his way into the top 10 and I currently have him going #8 to Minnesota. He is not as good as Wade was in college, and Wade coming out of college was not supposed to be the elite player he became. That said, Oladipo is a solid, well rounded player, and in this down draft, the sky is the limit.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#3 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:13 am

Chad Ford has him in his top 5 right now and moving upward especially after McLemore and Smart played horrible tonight.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Sterling_Archer
Rookie
And1: 47

Post#4 » by Sterling_Archer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:23 am

Guy looks like a solid defender and Athlete but he doesn't have that great of an outside stroke or at least doesn't use it enough. A guy who is a definite lottery selection but I don't think top 5.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#5 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:14 pm

Sterling_Archer wrote:Guy looks like a solid defender and Athlete but he doesn't have that great of an outside stroke or at least doesn't use it enough. A guy who is a definite lottery selection but I don't think top 5.

Well, what I said in the McLemore thread bears repeating here.
Have you ever seen a shooting guard who takes over defensively the way Oladipo does? And he does it on a consistent basis. Offensively, he hasn't been a big volume shooter, but his efficiency numbers are off the charts - you don't see many guards with a 71% TS% and 69% eFG%. Obviously, he can score more if his team wants him to.

Now, if he could only make a simple dunk... http://deadspin.com/5985621/have-you-ha ... moment-yet

Stars take over games when games are on the line. We saw Oladipo take over at both ends when the the biggest game of the year was on the line. And we saw a double OT game against Smart where McLemore barely touched the ball when the game was on the line.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#6 » by BaunceyChillups » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:11 pm

Looks like a young Michael Finley. Better prospect than McLemore because he forces his will on games whereas BMac runs away from the ball in crunchtime as demonstrated last night.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#7 » by Johnlac1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Sterling_Archer wrote:Guy looks like a solid defender and Athlete but he doesn't have that great of an outside stroke or at least doesn't use it enough. A guy who is a definite lottery selection but I don't think top 5.

While not in McLemore's status as far as shooting, Oladipo has improved him outside shot enormously since last year. You won't find a player more dedicated to improving his game than Oladipo. And if you look up desire in the dictionary, Oladipo's picture is next to the definition.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#8 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:25 am

I think he's not just a good prospect, he's a great prospect. He's my favorite draft prospect in this draft. I'm curious to see how he develops. I mean, here's a guy who combines potential with production, on both ends of the court, for the top team in the nation. There's something to be said about that. Not sure where he ends up in this draft, but I could easily see him go top 5.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#9 » by Wizop » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:31 pm

all my dreams about him being overlooked and available to my Pacers late in the first round have been shattered.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#10 » by Johnlac1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:05 am

Wizop wrote:all my dreams about him being overlooked and available to my Pacers late in the first round have been shattered.

He'd look real good in a Bucks uniform, but we're playing too good, .500 ball, to have a shot at him. I blame myself because I was touting Oladipo before the season started when just about nobody outside the Big 10 knew who he was.
Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#11 » by Hogified05 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:49 am

I think he would be the best fit in Minny, Rubio needs some athletic wings that run the floor around him. He will get them the ball. Give them some defensive toughness as well. With that being said if the Magic for some reason get like the 5th-8thish pick I'd love to nab him.
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#12 » by Grits n Gravy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Hogified05 wrote:I think he would be the best fit in Minny, Rubio needs some athletic wings that run the floor around him. He will get them the ball. Give them some defensive toughness as well. With that being said if the Magic for some reason get like the 5th-8thish pick I'd love to nab him.

i agree he'd be an outstanding fit for us and allow shved to assume the harden/manu scorer role off the bench.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:28 pm

Wizop wrote:all my dreams about him being overlooked and available to my Pacers late in the first round have been shattered.

I think that's the case with a lot of teams. I remember the first time I started paying attention to him, draftexpress.com had him as a late 2nd rounder. He's gradually moved up and up and up every week.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Gilles
Rookie
And1: 70

Post#14 » by Gilles » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:31 pm

While like him a lot, and think he'll be a very good late lottery pick, people should not overlook few facts:
1. He's still a junior. His TS% jumped to .709 from .545 last year, while other advanced stats stayed the same
2. He's not a featured ball-handler or offensive option, he's probably fourth offensive player on the floor at best most of the time.
3. They basically have the same team from last year that was very good offensively despite inexperience even last year, so off-season and another year added a lot to offensive cohesiveness.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#15 » by Mattya » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:21 am

Grits n Gravy wrote:
Hogified05 wrote:I think he would be the best fit in Minny, Rubio needs some athletic wings that run the floor around him. He will get them the ball. Give them some defensive toughness as well. With that being said if the Magic for some reason get like the 5th-8thish pick I'd love to nab him.

i agree he'd be an outstanding fit for us and allow shved to assume the harden/manu scorer role off the bench.

The amount of turnovers Rubio, Oladipo, and AK47 could cause is mind bottling. AK47 could be a great mentor for Oladipo as well.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#16 » by mhd » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:34 pm

You think he a more athletic Shane Battier?
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,482

Post#17 » by 165bows » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:10 pm

Yeah I was hoping this guy would be available for the Celtics at 16. Not going to happen now.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,482

Post#18 » by 165bows » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Gilles wrote:While like him a lot, and think he'll be a very good late lottery pick, people should not overlook few facts:
1. He's still a junior. His TS% jumped to .709 from .545 last year, while other advanced stats stayed the same
2. He's not a featured ball-handler or offensive option, he's probably fourth offensive player on the floor at best most of the time.
3. They basically have the same team from last year that was very good offensively despite inexperience even last year, so off-season and another year added a lot to offensive cohesiveness.

Agreed, he probably can't sustain he shooting levels he's got now.

On the other hand, ESPN had a Jay Bilas video clip citing one of the college coaches tracking deflected passes. He said that they had Oladipo tipping more balls than any college player since Wade. If you can get average offense and great defense and rebounding, that's a great player.

Probably a guy that looks better on a good team rather than the top offensive option on a bad team, IMO.
Assistant Coach
And1: 601

Post#19 » by 8305 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:44 pm

I will be surprised if if he's not a top 5 pick. In IU's biggest games this year he has been dominant while being ridiculously efficient. Not sure how it will go for him on a bad NBA team (which he will no doubt wind up on).

His explosion on the college scene reminds me of Russell Westbrook and Dwayne Wade. I think he's that kind of athlete and worker.
EB2
Rookie
And1: 52

Post#20 » by EB2 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:34 am

He's definitely been the most fun player to watch this year in CBB. He'll definitely be a top 3 pick when all is said and done.

Return to NBA Draft