Adams declares

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Adams declares 

Post#1 » by No-Man » Wed Apr 3, 2013 5:42 am

He's really raw, but the potential is there, probably will be a late lotto pick (Dallas or Portland)
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Re: Adams declares 

Post#2 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Wed Apr 3, 2013 6:25 am

This guy has some personality to him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... s7tysxMNs8

:lol:

I'm curious, is he strictly a C prospect all the way, or could he play PF in the NBA as well?
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#3 » by Elden Payton » Wed Apr 3, 2013 8:03 am

He actually declared?, too raw imo though with WCS staying another season at UK I imagine Adams takes that late lotto-mid first spot.
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#4 » by Joel Embust » Wed Apr 3, 2013 9:13 am

This definitely comes as a surprise to me.
beans-boy
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#5 » by beans-boy » Wed Apr 3, 2013 9:29 am

He should have stayed another year at Pitt IMHO.. even though the system there did not fit this skillset. The inside word is that he was finding the school work a bit hard to cope with as well as homesickness.. also his girlfriend was supposed to transfer to Pitt before they had a coaching change.

7 footers with his strength / agility / speed and ability to guard the PNR don't grow on trees.. I see him going mid first round.. He career could go either way and largely depends on which team picks him..
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#6 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Wed Apr 3, 2013 9:30 am

Sik Infant wrote:He actually declared?, too raw imo though with WCS staying another season at UK I imagine Adams takes that late lotto-mid first spot.

...that hopefully will be announced as 'the Portland Trail Blazers select...'

Philly and OKC are probably going for a center in the draft judging by their current roster, both teams pick ahead of Portland.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#7 » by princeofpalace » Wed Apr 3, 2013 10:01 am

hes a mid to late first imo
TruthTelling
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#8 » by TruthTelling » Wed Apr 3, 2013 1:02 pm

I can't see that he should go before #20 or so.. There are too many center prospects in the first round and not all team want raw center projects which is what Adams is.
Joel Embust
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Joel Embust » Wed Apr 3, 2013 2:11 pm

TruthTelling wrote:I can't see that he should go before #20 or so.. There are too many center prospects in the first round and not all team want raw center projects which is what Adams is.

I'd rather take a chance on Adams than go for the other C prospects that are projected ahead of him. (Outside of Len maybe)

He had a good year at Pitt, really showed his upside on both ends of the floor.

With Steven's length and strength he can only get better by going up against the biggest and strongest players in the world. He'll learn quickly at practice and off the bench.
dmize
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#10 » by dmize » Wed Apr 3, 2013 5:06 pm

He didn't have a good year, he had an okay year which is expected for a raw 7 footer, but he stuggled at times too.

Looked pretty good against Wich St. though in his final game, which is a good sign.

I think I read he has something like 14 siblings and his father died when he was in H.S, which must be the reason for this decision.
Joel Embust
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Joel Embust » Wed Apr 3, 2013 5:21 pm

dmize wrote:He didn't have a good year, he had an okay year which is expected for a raw 7 footer, but he stuggled at times too.

That's why he had a good year in my opinion. It's what was expected from a raw teenage New Zealander who started taking basketball seriously around the age of 15.

He had a good enough year to show off his tremendous potential. He's a top five prospect this year.

I like that he's coming out. Next year will be top heavy with a ton of hyped up players. This year he's probably going to be the hype after draft workouts and rightfully so. People are projecting him around 20. That's just stupid, he'll easily be top five when it's all said and done.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#12 » by EddieJonesFan » Wed Apr 3, 2013 5:36 pm

I thought he had a really good chance to develop into a good center, but I don't know if he'll develop well sitting on a bench playing 5-10 mpg.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#13 » by ManualRam » Wed Apr 3, 2013 8:18 pm

EddieJonesFan wrote:I thought he had a really good chance to develop into a good center, but I don't know if he'll develop well sitting on a bench playing 5-10 mpg.

if he doesn't develop practicing and working with pros then thats on him. if thats the case, then he wouldve likely never developed as hoped. players CAN develop without getting meaningful minutes if they put in the work, can learn and put into practice what they learn.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#14 » by Jazzfan12 » Wed Apr 3, 2013 8:48 pm

I'm pretty sure that a guy who has little offensive potential (when you airball layups in college, I'm writing off your chance of averaging more than 12 PPG in the NBA) and has no idea how to defend a pick-and-roll or how to play aggressively is not going to go top 5.

Probably will end up a lottery pick though.
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#15 » by boogie-reke » Wed Apr 3, 2013 11:02 pm

Potential to be the best pick setting big in the game.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#16 » by EddieJonesFan » Thu Apr 4, 2013 12:25 am

ManualRam wrote:
EddieJonesFan wrote:I thought he had a really good chance to develop into a good center, but I don't know if he'll develop well sitting on a bench playing 5-10 mpg.

if he doesn't develop practicing and working with pros then thats on him. if thats the case, then he wouldve likely never developed as hoped. players CAN develop without getting meaningful minutes if they put in the work, can learn and put into practice what they learn.

Do you think that's worth as much as regular in-game playing time in college?
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#17 » by Rockmaninoff » Thu Apr 4, 2013 1:56 am

Some of the commentary in this thread reminds me of what I read about Andre Drummond last year.

With Cauley-Stein returning to UK, I have Adams as the best center prospect in the draft. I think he's a Top 10 pick in this draft based upon statistical analysis and perceived upside. Unfortunately for Adams, several of the teams picking in that range already have either established or young centers on their rosters.

I'll guess he ends up on the Celtics.

EDIT: Forgot about OKC. That's another option.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
They_Them_Hatin
Sixth Man
And1: 548

Post#18 » by They_Them_Hatin » Thu Apr 4, 2013 2:00 am

He has like 18 siblings and his father died and he's really poor so financial reasons is most likely why he's leaving sad but hey has to support his family. Hopefully a team is patient with him and he lives up to his full potential someday.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#19 » by ManualRam » Thu Apr 4, 2013 5:34 am

EddieJonesFan wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

Do you think that's worth as much as regular in-game playing time in college?

absolutely
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#20 » by Grits n Gravy » Thu Apr 4, 2013 11:55 am

i'm a little nervous about hgim entering...wish he would of stayed a year longer at pitt but i'm absolutely stoked i'll have a fellow kiwi to watch and pull for in the league. dude has outstanding genes and physical tools to work with(look at his sister valerie, she is pretty much the female version of nikola pekovic at 6'4 and 110-120kg)...i really hope that he goes to the right team where they are patient and he can develop, hell i hope it's my t'wolves. i disagree about him being weak in pick n roll defense, i think that is actually one of his strengths in using his quick feet to hedge out and recover.

Return to NBA Draft