Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Is Peyton Siva an NBA player? 

Post#1 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Apr 9, 2013 5:41 pm

The good:
Elite quickness, elite handles, elite passing, very good defender, explosive, fast in the open court, can run an offense. True pass first point guard.

The bad:
Can't shoot, size limitations.

Thoughts?

I think he can be a backup in this league. Not an offensive threat but certainly someone that can find the open man and run a fast break. Then again former Illinois point guard Dee Brown did the same things. Is Siva an NBA player?
bigbadstevenson
Banned User
And1: 365

Re: Is Peyton Siva an NBA player? 

Post#2 » by bigbadstevenson » Tue Apr 9, 2013 5:52 pm

He's no worse than Austin Rivers, is he?
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#3 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Apr 9, 2013 6:05 pm

^ THats kind of a bad comparison.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#4 » by Upperclass » Tue Apr 9, 2013 6:10 pm

Didnt think he was prior to the tourney.. but if he learns to shoot, he's basically the same player as Bayless, but with more of a playmaking acumen vs all out scoring. I love his fearlessness. He has to get a J though.. immediately
Starkiller
Assistant Coach
And1: 269

Post#5 » by Starkiller » Tue Apr 9, 2013 6:13 pm

I would cool it on the elite passing claim.
This ^
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#6 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Apr 9, 2013 6:28 pm

Ok maybe not elite but I certainly don't ever see him make a bad pass bro. Always seems to find the open guy. I don't like the Bayless comparison either. Bayless is a scoring guard and is about 3 inches taller than Siva. He's also a hell of a lot stronger but also doesn't have the point guard skills or knowledge that Siva has for the position.
Starkiller
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by Starkiller » Tue Apr 9, 2013 6:33 pm

I live in Louisville, I know all about Peyton Siva. Basic PG skills are not his strong suit. Speed, handling, and defense are. He'll never be an elite floor general a la Chris Paul type player. He is turnover prone, makes bad decisions, and all his elite passing is just driving to the lane full of defenders, crashing into someone and passing it out on the way down, or he goes to the line.
This ^
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,524

Post#8 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Apr 9, 2013 6:38 pm

I can only see him sticking if he can shoot in the NBA
twozeroMM
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,718

Post#9 » by twozeroMM » Tue Apr 9, 2013 6:43 pm

Besides his size, I think he'll translate into the league pretty well. He has speed, he isn't afraid to attack the basket, and he is pretty good at controlling the floor and setting the pace. So I think with a little time, he'll be pretty good.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#10 » by Scoonie » Tue Apr 9, 2013 6:46 pm

Yes, I think he's an NBA player. He needs to make better decisions and play more under control at times, but he is the real deal. His shooting is actually not bad, and he has incredible speed and athleticism.

I would strongly consider drafting him in the 2nd round.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Starkiller
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by Starkiller » Tue Apr 9, 2013 6:54 pm

Then why is he absent on every single NBA mock?
This ^
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#12 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Apr 9, 2013 7:05 pm

Starkiller wrote:Then why is he absent on every single NBA mock?

Because you live in Louisvill doesn't mean your'e an expert. Jesus I hate when people say crap like that. I live in TN and it in no way makes me an expert on the Vols. Quit hating...I asked a simple question..Is he an NBA player and you have yet to even give a straight forward answer.
FootballFan33
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#13 » by FootballFan33 » Tue Apr 9, 2013 7:18 pm

He's horrible.

The final game will cost some team a wasted pick on him.

Complete garbage.
Starkiller
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by Starkiller » Tue Apr 9, 2013 7:21 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

Because you live in Louisvill doesn't mean your'e an expert. Jesus I hate when people say crap like that. I live in TN and it in no way makes me an expert on the Vols. Quit hating...I asked a simple question..Is he an NBA player and you have yet to even give a straight forward answer.

By saying I live in Louisville I'm saying I've pretty much seen his entire career and know his game better than most people. I thought my answer was pretty straight forward. No, he will not be an NBA player. Not unless he somehow discovers a jumpshot or finds a magical pair of Ray Allen's sneakers.
This ^
Mundo
Pro Prospect
And1: 34

Post#15 » by Mundo » Tue Apr 9, 2013 7:34 pm

Starkiller wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

By saying I live in Louisville I'm saying I've pretty much seen his entire career and know his game better than most people. I thought my answer was pretty straight forward. No, he will not be an NBA player. Not unless he somehow discovers a jumpshot or finds a magical pair of Ray Allen's sneakers.

I was pretty sure that he was going to suck, but this cleared up everything. Thanks Starkiller. I guess explosionsindasky just wasn't smart enough to infer that message. Similarly, I went to school at UNC and felt that none of the players last year were solid NBA players. It still amazes me how Harrison Barnes could go that early when Mo Harkless was putting up better stats.
fugop
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#16 » by fugop » Tue Apr 9, 2013 7:52 pm

I'm a Louisville alum, and watched Siva's career as well. I don't think his shot will ever improve to the point where he can play in the NBA. I think he goes overseas for a few years, then becomes a coach somewhere. Good guy, excellent intangibles, no jumpshot and no height.
Starkiller
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by Starkiller » Tue Apr 9, 2013 8:30 pm

Another thing: one of his pros is listed as "elite quickness". He played head to head against John Wall. Wall had 17 points. Didn't light it up, but for a guy who is supposed to have elite speed and defense, Siva didn't really hold him in check well. 5/10 shooting as well.
This ^
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#18 » by ManualRam » Tue Apr 9, 2013 9:31 pm

Starkiller wrote:I would cool it on the elite passing claim.

i would cool it on the elite handles too. his left hand is weak.
he's quick going to his right and he plays tough defense. that's about it.

i have trouble envisioning him as a professional basketball other than d-league, low level europe or china.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#19 » by machu46 » Tue Apr 9, 2013 9:36 pm

He might get picked at the end of the 2nd round, but I doubt he'll be an NBA player. No shot, might be 5'11", good college defender, but he'll get manhandled in the NBA, forces passes far too often, and he's really only effective in the fast break.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,524

Post#20 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Apr 9, 2013 11:19 pm

Siva can neither score at the rim or via a perimeter jumpshot and he's an erratic decision maker. Not a great combo to have. Unless you're Doc Rivers' son, then you can still bank a rookie deal contract worth of millions

Return to NBA Draft