ImageImageImageImageImage

Jason Collins has come out as gay

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Re: Jason Collins has come out as gay 

Post#21 » by DCZards » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:02 pm

fishercob wrote:Here's why it will be impactful: NOT because Collins is a household name or a superstar that sells jerseys, cell phones or sugared "sports drinks." Rather, because half the league has played with -- or played with someone who has played with -- Jason Collins. He's universally thought of as a great teammate. And so half the league -- many of whose upbringing may have taught them otherwise -- will say to themselves "huh, Collins is a great guy and he's gay? I guess being gay can't be all bad." It will help shapes attitudes and perceptions within locker rooms.

In doing so it will make it that much easier for the next guy to come out. And the next guy. -- until, one day, it's just no big effing deal.

So true. It's been said that the main reason that a clear majority of Americans now support gay marriage is that, as more and more gays "come out," more and more of us realize that we have friends, family and co-workers who are gay. And pretty much all of them are good and decent folks...with no desire to convert the rest of us into gays, as some crazies suggest. What gays want (and deserve) are the same legal and civil rights that the rest of us enjoy.

I enjoyed reading Collins' account of his gradual coming out. It was well done.
dorianwrite
Rookie
And1: 271

Post#22 » by dorianwrite » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:19 pm

In addition to congratulating Collins, I'd like to congratulate this board. When I first started coming to this board (as the token openly gay occasional poster), nothing regarding sexuality in sports/society could be discussed here without rampant homophobic comments, and I don't see that anymore. It is heartening to see that Collins's coming out can be discussed rationally and seriously, too, as it has been on the first couple of pages of this thread.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#23 » by daSwami » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:23 pm

Total diva move, AM I RITE?
:banghead:
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#24 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:33 pm

yay! awesome for Jason.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#25 » by montestewart » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:53 pm

dorianwrite wrote:In addition to congratulating Collins, I'd like to congratulate this board. When I first started coming to this board (as the token openly gay occasional poster), nothing regarding sexuality in sports/society could be discussed here without rampant homophobic comments, and I don't see that anymore. It is heartening to see that Collins's coming out can be discussed rationally and seriously, too, as it has been on the first couple of pages of this thread.

Yeah, over on the main board they keep locking threads that degenerate into nonsense.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#26 » by fishercob » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:21 pm

dorianwrite wrote:In addition to congratulating Collins, I'd like to congratulate this board. When I first started coming to this board (as the token openly gay occasional poster), nothing regarding sexuality in sports/society could be discussed here without rampant homophobic comments, and I don't see that anymore. It is heartening to see that Collins's coming out can be discussed rationally and seriously, too, as it has been on the first couple of pages of this thread.

Dorian!! I was thinking of you and was going to post something to that effect since I have not seen you around here in ages. Very glad to know you're still around and hope you find some pride and comfort in JC's announcement. I really hated some of the things you have had to read through the years and am glad that you're heartened by this thread. All the best, my man.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#27 » by dobrojim » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:40 pm

actually there is another long time poster on our board who I have figured
was gay although I can't remember any explicit mention of it. S/he is one
of my more favorite posters with a Oscar Wilde like wit. TBH, I had forgotten
about you Dorian but I'm glad you're here.

all people deserve to be judged based on how they conduct themselves
towards their fellow citizens of the planet. Shame on those who can't
abide. Homosexuality is natural, homophobia is a choice.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#28 » by Induveca » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:43 pm

On a far more serious note, I would like to thank Jason Collins for forcing ESPN to push Tebow getting cut to a second rate story.

Wonderful timing Collins, bravo!
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#29 » by jmrosenth » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:58 pm

I can't believe Jason Collins would openly admit to playing for the Washington Wizards.

https://twitter.com/ChaseMit/status/328896216375115776
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#30 » by Ruzious » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:19 pm

jmrosenth wrote:I can't believe Jason Collins would openly admit to playing for the Washington Wizards.

I coughed coffee on my screen reading that. Yes, it's coffee, sheesh! Haters gotta hate. :noway:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#31 » by GhostsOfGil » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:23 pm

jmrosenth wrote:I can't believe Jason Collins would openly admit to playing for the Washington Wizards.

:lol:
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#32 » by truwizfan4evr » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:28 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:

:lol:

wow :lol:
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#33 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:20 pm

God is love. Who am I to judge?

I say a lot of stuff and think a lot of stuff but at the end of the day I have to walk in love and make the most of my days. I wish peace for everyone.

I think if anything this gives Collins a better chance of making the roster.

It is amazing he is the first to come out. There is probably one gay player on average for every team. Rosters have 13-15 players. My guess is there are anywhere from 25 to 40 gay NBA players.
Bye bye Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#34 » by FAH1223 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#35 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:04 pm

I'm proud to be a poster on this board. I logged on expecting to find a mixture of support and homophobia... but have seen nothing but classy (and hilarious) posts.

Thank you all... posting and reading here is WAY more fun than actually watching Wizards games.
In Rizzo we trust
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#36 » by hands11 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:01 pm

I guess its a sign of how far things have come so quickly.

I'm sure it took a lot of courage for him to decide this and props to him for being the first to do it. Regardless of him doing it at the end of his career. Someone had to be the first.

But as I said, things have changed so quickly I am honestly not phased. I was like. Ok. Jason is gay. That's interesting.

So who do you'll think will be next to come out. Nash ? You know what's where the conversation is headed next. Speculation on who is next to come out. The stage is set for a bigger name now.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#37 » by JWizmentality » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:12 pm

Good for JC, but I'll play devil's advocate here. He stinks as a basketball player, and now we can't immediately drop his roster filling ass because of bad PR.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man
And1: 26

Post#38 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:41 am

Jason Collins is a BORING gentrification era gay.

The real gays in DC were over at 12" Dance Records on P Street back in the day.
99% of the employees who worked there and customers who shopped there were all openly gay.
From men dressed as women all the way to shirtless muscular incredible hulk body type dudes on rollerblades that place was just as gay if not gayer than any gay nightclub in DC or Baltimore.

I remember walking up to the register one time with a stack of albums I wanted to purchase and the cashier behind the register ignored me, pulled out a mirror and started applying lipstick and other makeup products to his face. "I'm busy right now" "Just leave the albums on the counter and come back and pay for them in 10 minutes" he said.

Sometimes the store phone would ring and nobody would answer it because they did not want to lower the music and disrupt the live in store DJ who was mixing house records in the back of store.

I still have one of their shopping bags.

One of these days I might frame it along with many of my other shopping bags from local businesses which have long since closed just to remind myself how interesting this city was before the CVS, Starbucks and Whole Foods invasion.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#39 » by JWizmentality » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:55 am

Oh wait, he's a free agent...nevermind.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#40 » by BigA » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:06 am

Wes_Tiny_Abe_ wrote:
Jason Collins is a BORING gentrification era gay.

True that. I ran into him at the last No Pants Subway Ride.

Return to Washington Wizards