ImageImageImageImageImage

Jason Collins has come out as gay

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,879

Re: Jason Collins has come out as gay 

Post#41 » by Effigy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:11 am

JWizmentality wrote:Oh wait, he's a free agent...nevermind.

Yeah, but now if you don't give him a contract at least some morons will claim it's because he's gay.
Deivy202
Senior
And1: 9

Post#42 » by Deivy202 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:05 am

SMH gay. Want him off the team.
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#43 » by WashWiz54 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:20 am

I don't care if the guy is gay, but any comparison to Jackie Robinson needs to end right now. That's a slap in the face to 42 and any other person of color who grew up in that era.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man
And1: 26

Post#44 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:38 am

BigA wrote:
Wes_Tiny_Abe_ wrote:
Jason Collins is a BORING gentrification era gay.

True that. I ran into him at the last No Pants Subway Ride.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8oF7QGPF4E[/youtube]

http://www.tracksdc.com

http://www.metroweekly.com/scene/?k=1882&fa=0

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2013/04/ ... ed-fondly/

Speaking of no pants being worn, you do know there was a Tracks reunion this past weekend right?
I did not go because I never really was a part of that scene. But I knew people who always went there.
Now as far as the original Tracks is concerned, Collins would not have lasted 5 minutes in that place. BOOM BOOM BOOM.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,879

Post#45 » by Effigy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:09 am

Deivy202 wrote:SMH gay. Want him off the team.

You should want him off the team for being a 35 year old scrub who doesn't contribute much. His sexual preference shouldn't enter into it. If you found out Wall or Beal was gay you'd want them kicked off the team?
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#46 » by fishercob » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:57 am

Wes_Tiny_Abe_ wrote:Image

The real gays in DC were over at 12" Dance Records on P Street back in the day.
99% of the employees who worked there and customers who shopped there were all openly gay.
From men dressed as women all the way to shirtless muscular incredible hulk body type dudes on rollerblades that place was just as gay if not gayer than any gay nightclub in DC or Baltimore.

I remember walking up to the register one time with a stack of albums I wanted to purchase and the cashier behind the register ignored me, pulled out a mirror and started applying lipstick and other makeup products to his face. "I'm busy right now" "Just leave the albums on the counter and come back and pay for them in 10 minutes" he said.

Sometimes the store phone would ring and nobody would answer it because they did not want to lower the music and disrupt the live in store DJ who was mixing house records in the back of store.

I still have one of their shopping bags.

One of these days I might frame it along with many of my other shopping bags from local businesses which have long since closed just to remind myself how interesting this city was before the CVS, Starbucks and Whole Foods invasion.

HOF post.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
fishercob
RealGM

Post#47 » by fishercob » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:59 am

What an ignorant piece of sh*t you are. I know from trying to decipher your posts that you're either a complete idiot, a teenager, or both. But that doesn't excuse this type of garbage.
— Steve Martin
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#48 » by Dat2U » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:13 am

There's always gotta be one. SMH
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,111

Post#49 » by AFM » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:11 pm

fishercob wrote:

What an ignorant piece of sh*t you are. I know from trying to decipher your posts that you're either a complete idiot, a teenager, or both. But that doesn't excuse this type of garbage.

His posts are generally terrible. I just assume he's 12.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,700

Post#50 » by montestewart » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:50 pm

I forget, does the "S" stand for "scratching" or "shaking"? Or both, maybe?
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#51 » by Nivek » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:02 pm

The S probably stands for "searching."

I'm glad Collins is happy. Glad he felt like he could come out. Don't care one way or the other about his sexuality. I also don't care about any other player's sexuality. It's irrelevant to the job of playing basketball.

I'm not quite as blown away by the courage of making the announcement. Folks are making a big deal of him being an "active" player, but he's been playing on borrowed time for years now, he doesn't have a contract for next year, and he waited until after the season to make the announcement. Whether he's an active player or not is to be determined.

That said, I'm glad he made the announcement and the collective response has largely been to say a) it doesn't matter; and b) it's good that he felt like this was something he could talk about. Whether he turns out to be an openly/publicly homosexual player next season or not, I think his announcement and the conversation happening now will make it easier for the next guy.

One thing in the "media" response has bugged me -- the intimation that Collins might not get a contract next season because he's gay. He's 34 years old and he's been a terrible player for years. If he doesn't get a contract, the biggest reason will likely be that GMs don't think he's going to help them win games.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#52 » by fishercob » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:14 pm

Nivek wrote:
One thing in the "media" response has bugged me -- the intimation that Collins might not get a contract next season because he's gay. He's 34 years old and he's been a terrible player for years. If he doesn't get a contract, the biggest reason will likely be that GMs don't think he's going to help them win games.

Kenny and Charles both pointed this out last night and basically said "this guy is at the end of the line, let's not go crazy if no one signs him." A cynic might say that Collins knows that there will be a push to make sure he;s on a roster next year and that this was actually a savvy move to extend his career a year or two. Rightly or wrongly, teams clearly value old guys who are great in the locker room and in practice -- even if they can't score to save their lives. I'd wager he's in DC, Boston, or somewhere else come opening night.
— Steve Martin
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,300

Post#53 » by dobrojim » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:24 pm

fishercob wrote:

someone pls refresh my memory as to how to ignore someone.
It's been a while since I've felt I needed to use this feature
but I think I need to use it now.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#54 » by verbal8 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:37 pm

[quote="dobrojim]
someone pls refresh my memory as to how to ignore someone.
It's been a while since I've felt I needed to use this feature
but I think I need to use it now.[/quote]

You add them as a foe.

I think this link will do what you want:
ucp.php?i=zebra&mode=foes&add=Deivy202

If not, click on the user profile link and you have an option to add as a foe there. Also I there is a tab on your user profile page to add friends and foes.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#55 » by Nivek » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:49 pm

fishercob wrote:
Nivek wrote:

Kenny and Charles both pointed this out last night and basically said "this guy is at the end of the line, let's not go crazy if no one signs him." A cynic might say that Collins knows that there will be a push to make sure he;s on a roster next year and that this was actually a savvy move to extend his career a year or two. Rightly or wrongly, teams clearly value old guys who are great in the locker room and in practice -- even if they can't score to save their lives. I'd wager he's in DC, Boston, or somewhere else come opening night.

My impression of Collins is that he's smart and thoughtful. Given what he does on the floor, I'd rather hire him as an assistant coach than as a player at this point. Or, maybe he has value as that veteran mentor type guy on the end of the bench. Either way -- league minimum salary isn't going to have any affect on what the team can do. Given a choice, I'm sure he'd take the player gig for as long as he can get it -- players get paid a lot more than assistant coaches.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,300

Post#56 » by dobrojim » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:54 pm

thanks Verbal

deed is done. I think this is the appropriate response.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#57 » by Higga » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:59 pm

What he does in his spare time is his business, but I'm proud of him for coming out.

Unfortunately being that he's a marginal player who probably won't even make a team next year, I don't think this is that impactful. We need a major star caliber player to come out and then see the after affects.

Good for Collins though. Hope he inspires others to come out, athletes or not. There are a lot more accepting people out there nowadays than ignorant haters.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#58 » by doclinkin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:00 pm

fishercob wrote:
Wes_Tiny_Abe_ wrote:Image

The real gays in DC were over at 12" Dance Records on P Street back in the day.
99% of the employees who worked there and customers who shopped there were all openly gay.
From men dressed as women all the way to shirtless muscular incredible hulk body type dudes on rollerblades that place was just as gay if not gayer than any gay nightclub in DC or Baltimore.

I remember walking up to the register one time with a stack of albums I wanted to purchase and the cashier behind the register ignored me, pulled out a mirror and started applying lipstick and other makeup products to his face. "I'm busy right now" "Just leave the albums on the counter and come back and pay for them in 10 minutes" he said.

Sometimes the store phone would ring and nobody would answer it because they did not want to lower the music and disrupt the live in store DJ who was mixing house records in the back of store.

I still have one of their shopping bags.

One of these days I might frame it along with many of my other shopping bags from local businesses which have long since closed just to remind myself how interesting this city was before the CVS, Starbucks and Whole Foods invasion.

HOF post.

Done. I was wondering how in heck WTA was going to swing that around to a good old days rant.

Masterfully swung. So stupid, so funny.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,111

Post#59 » by AFM » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:02 pm

Who's next? Chris Bosh? I think he's married doe. Although that hasn't stopped Tom Cruise.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,700

Post#60 » by montestewart » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:11 pm

jmrosenth wrote:I can't believe Jason Collins would openly admit to playing for the Washington Wizards.

https://twitter.com/ChaseMit/status/328896216375115776

This one's pretty HOF too

Return to Washington Wizards