Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Tension
Sixth Man
And1: 121

Sixers hire Rockets Asst. GM Sam Hinkie 

Post#1 » by Tension » Fri May 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Per Woj

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 3m
Philadelphia has reached agreement with Houston assistant GM Sam Hinkie to be the 76ers new GM, league source tells Y! Sports.

A Daryl Morey disciple? Not PJax, but I'm geeked! Anybody know anything about this guy?

"Prior to joining the Rockets, Hinkie advised two NFL teams on draft strategies and ways to use statistical analysis to improve decision making. Hinkie also has experience as a consultant for Bain & Company, a leading global-strategy consulting firm. In addition, he worked in private equity and venture capital where he led diligence teams and provided strategic direction for his firm’s investment companies.

Hinkie graduated from the University of Oklahoma and was named one of the top-60 undergraduate students in the country by USA Today. He also holds an MBA from Stanford, graduating with highest honors as an Arjay Miller Scholar."

Wow a draft advisor for two NFL teams whose huge into analytics. Can't wait for the draft now!
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Re: Sixers hire Rockets Asst. GM Sam Hinkie 

Post#2 » by PhilasFinest » Fri May 10, 2013 7:44 pm

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/?p=9623

Glad we looked outside the box and got someone who's worked with a organization/MgM Morey who's been active in trading/drafts/etc.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
x-
Analyst
And1: 133

Post#3 » by x- » Fri May 10, 2013 7:50 pm

Huge congrats to Sam Hinkie & Sixers. Ridiculously bright, great teacher, better man. My favorite person in the NBA. Will be sorely missed.

https://twitter.com/JasonCFriedman/stat ... 4603683840
Sixers now have themselves one of the best and brightest big picture thinkers in the game. Thank goodness they're in the Eastern Conference.

http://twitter.com/JasonCFriedman/statu ... 1121969153
Hinkie played huge role for Daryl Morey in Rockets decision-making, cap moves, analytics along with Gersson Rosas. Will be tough to replace.

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/sta ... 6467523584
Sam Hinkie is a fantastic hire by the Sixers. As smart a guy as I've encountered in the NBA.

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status ... 8128635904

As a Rockets fan, I've heard nothing but great things about Sam. Exchanged E-mails with him a few times about some scouting/GMing related stuff. Very nice, pleasant, smart guy.

Very good hire for you guys. Happy for Sam. Too bad for my team. :(
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#4 » by PhilasFinest » Fri May 10, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks for the insight X.

I'm excited about getting a fresh new perspective. Hopefully he is aggressive and does things the right way in terms of rebuilding our franchise.

Other than Presti and RC Buford I think Morey is one of the better, more aggressive GM's in the league.
Now we just gotta get a coach from a winning system and we can kick start our rebuild.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#5 » by ZarcMumoff » Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm

A very good move. The Rockets are a strong organization. Glad to get a Morey disciple. He's a guy that is about winning, but more importantly the big picture. Sounds like Hinkie is too.

We're in good hands. Get Malone & we have two young, bright guys leading our organization. Very different from Thorn & Collins.
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#6 » by PhilasFinest » Fri May 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Supposedly this guys big on the new "analytics" aspect of things and all which is a total change from our lame philosophies in the past.

I've heard nothing but good things about this dude being an incredibly bright basketball mind and how his is bg for our franchise.

Genuinely excited for the first time in a long time to see what this does for us.
Strange Clouds
Banned User
And1: 222

Post#7 » by Strange Clouds » Fri May 10, 2013 8:31 pm

Weren't the Rockets a lot like us before the Harden trade? No superstar, big market with a middling team.
Chamberlainship
Sixth Man
And1: 213

Post#8 » by Chamberlainship » Fri May 10, 2013 8:49 pm

I Love PA wrote:Weren't the Rockets a lot like us before the Harden trade? No superstar, big market with a middling team.

Yes. I remember thinking that last summer. They spent three years in the lottery before they turned the corner with the Harden trade. They seem to be heading in the right direction now. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer Pat Riley. But I'm willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt. Looks like the nerds are beating the jocks for dominance in the philadelphia front office.

Glad the sixers finally have a new majordomo and the coach-hiring process can proceed. Also, glad the three-headed monster (collins, thorn, diLeo) era is over and we can at least assign blame with more confidence.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,773

Post#9 » by Skates » Fri May 10, 2013 8:54 pm

With more and more of the beat writers doing articles about a housecleaning in the FO I figured something was up.

Holy Bat-turds, Batman, fresh thinking by the Sixers!!!!

Now, Mr. Analytics, get us Wiggins next year and your job will be a lot damned easier. :D
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,880

Post#10 » by LarsV8 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:59 pm

thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#11 » by thenbaman » Fri May 10, 2013 9:01 pm

If he sends bynum packing then im on board with the hire.
:lol:
Skates
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Skates » Fri May 10, 2013 9:09 pm

LarsV8 wrote:Anyone remember this gem?

http://articles.philly.com/2012-10-15/s ... oyce-white

I liked the work DiLeo did with the draft, but he seemed in over his head with the GM position, which is probably why so many other teams interviewed him for the position over the eyars and said no.

Mitchell is such a doofus. When you stockpile as many first round picks as the Rockets did you can take a flyer on a talented guy like White in the mid first round and not sweat it.

They really did have to sweep all of the old regime out the door, now let's hope this guy doesn't crap the floor.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#13 » by LongLiveHinkie » Fri May 10, 2013 9:23 pm

If we were patient, we probably could've had Harden.

Why wasn't he hired last year?
RdGzKP
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#14 » by RdGzKP » Fri May 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Spencer Hawes threw some shots at this move on twitter.

immediately after the news leaked he tweeted "Hate hate hate"

then followed up with "Analyzed my last tweet, crunched the numbers and confirmed my last tweet was not related to the hiring of Sam Hinkie. Welcome to Philly Sam!"

so if u put 2 n 2 together he's makin a joke of this numbers guy we hired..
All Philly Everything
Skates
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Skates » Fri May 10, 2013 9:50 pm

RdGzKP wrote:Spencer Hawes threw some shots at this move on twitter.

then followed up with "Analyzed my last tweet, crunched the numbers and confirmed my last tweet was not related to the hiring of Sam Hinkie. Welcome to Philly Sam!"

My guess is that the new guy looks at Hawes and sees nothing more than a tall, tradable asset to clear more cap sapce and acquire picks or younger players. Goodbye Spence, don't let the door hit your bony butt on the way out.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#16 » by LongLiveHinkie » Fri May 10, 2013 9:55 pm

He said "hate hate hate" to a fan who told him he hopes he is traded. Don't try to stir up nonsense, bro.
RdGzKP
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#17 » by RdGzKP » Fri May 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Westbrook36 wrote:

He said "hate hate hate" to a fan who told him he hopes he is traded. Don't try to stir up nonsense, bro.

that's your interpretation.. I saw it differently
All Philly Everything
Skates
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Skates » Fri May 10, 2013 10:07 pm

Hawes is a pretty bright guy, he was probably just being a bit snarky about it, he isn't usually the type to cause trouble. Still think he is gone, had a pretty good season for his salary (wasted and overexposed as the main big on this team), has only one year left on his contract and isn't a build-around kind of piece. Hinkie isn't the type to care about tweets, more the cold and, pun fully intended, calculating type.

If nothing else, the new hire makes me look forward to watching draft night this year.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,460

Post#19 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri May 10, 2013 10:12 pm

I always seem to like what the Rockets do in the draft....Chandler Parson, Patterson, Jones, White (even though he didn't work out). These are all players I wanted us to draft and we never did. Not saying this guy has completely everything to do with things like that but he will for us. If we could build a team that is "like" the Houston Rockets I would go out of my mind with over stoked-ness. That team is going to be terrific these next five-six years and maybe more. I want us to do the same.
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#20 » by PhilasFinest » Fri May 10, 2013 10:37 pm

I Love PA wrote:Weren't the Rockets a lot like us before the Harden trade? No superstar, big market with a middling team.

They rebounded from 2 big injuries to there franchise players (yao tmac) IMO rather quickly and if they were in the east would have likely been in the playoffs still every year.

They retooled pretty nicely and added a lot of young players to the roster with upside and freed up cap space as well. I'm not saying they're the thunder but they added youth/assets, shed Salary and stayed fkexible enought to set themselves up to make a big move when it was possible.

We did have ourselves in a position to make a splash. But the splash ended up not being able to walk.

Honestly I'm just excited that we finally went with a different approach.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers