Mike "The Moose" Muscala

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,161

Mike "The Moose" Muscala 

Post#1 » by TrueWarrior » Wed May 29, 2013 8:18 am

Whats everyone's opinion on this guy? I think hes a major sleeper right now, but may not be a sleeper for long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... tGdt51d96A

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider 24 May
Muscala, by the way, had the highest shooting percentage of anyone at NBA Draft Combine.

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider 24 May
Muscala had one of the best workouts I've EVER seen for a big man. Literally missed just 2 shots entire workout. Crazy skills for big.

Guy can do it all. Nice shooter, athletic, long, posts up, faces up, can finish with either hand, good passer, blocks shots, rebounds, plays D, smart.

Seems his 2 biggest knocks are he needs to bulk up and his level of competition.

His frame seems like it can handle much more weight to me. He has absolutely no muscle at all, but hes also not skin and bones. Just needs to add about 10-15 pounds and tone up and that should be easy with an NBA regime. Plus hes only 21 and young for his class. I see him as more of a PF/C than just a C because of how offensively skilled and mobile he is.

As far as his competition went he did play pretty poorly in the tournament against Butler but he dropped 25 pts, 14 rebs, 4 asts, 2 blks against Missouri. The guy is too talented to not be a 1st rounder to me, and it seems hes creeping up draft boards as more teams get a look at him.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Mike "The Moose" Muscala 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Wed May 29, 2013 10:20 am

He's going to have strength issues his whole career.

Maybe he can develop and be a useful back-up.
SixerFever215
Pro Prospect
And1: 78

Post#3 » by SixerFever215 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:12 am

I really like this kid yes he has to get stronger but this kid has alot of tools and knows how to play the game. I love the fact he's willing to play inside that half the battle in the NBA most guys don't want too
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#4 » by Dr Positivity » Wed May 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Hard to say whether he has the physical tools for his post game to translate, but has enough skill and feel to be a rotation guy sure.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#5 » by Golabki » Wed May 29, 2013 7:34 pm

Among centers I have:

1. Noel
2. Adams
3. Gobert
4. Len
5. Deing
6. Muscala
7. Withey
8. Olynyk
9. Plumlee

That puts Muscala in the 15-20 range. That said 5-8 is a pretty tight group.

I think he's going to be a solid overall defender/defender and he's got a killer mid-range J. That's a very solid role-player in the NBA.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#6 » by Datruth345 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:35 pm

and a mid range J can make all the difference for big men
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#7 » by 165bows » Wed May 29, 2013 11:02 pm

Golabki wrote:Among centers I have:

1. Noel
2. Adams
3. Gobert
4. Len
5. Deing
6. Muscala
7. Withey
8. Olynyk
9. Plumlee

I think he's going to be a solid overall defender/defender and he's got a killer mid-range J. That's a very solid role-player in the NBA.

I agree this guy is getting sold short a bit by not being included in the group of top big men. He seems like someone who might be higher on teams' individual boards than on the mock drafts.

And I can't remember the specifics, but doesn't Butler have a bit of a history of shutting some top prospects down?
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#8 » by deepeeenn » Wed May 29, 2013 11:21 pm

I really like Muscala. Love his offensive game, seems really smart. His strength worries me a little going up against bigger stronger guys in the NBA but I think as a backup big he can do alright. He won't stop your offense, capable passer, good enough on D and better with more strength and coaching.

I liken him to a big man version of Chandler Parsons as far as being underrated and what type of unexpected impact he could have. Some one that offers him a contract like Parson's got will be ecstatic to have him.
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#9 » by Old Man Game » Thu May 30, 2013 12:12 am

I like him. He's got great rebounding numbers which I think will translate. That and the mid-range jumper will enable him to have a long career even if nothing else makes the jump to the pro game.
Golabki
General Manager

Post#10 » by Golabki » Thu May 30, 2013 12:25 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Hard to say whether he has the physical tools for his post game to translate, but has enough skill and feel to be a rotation guy sure.

He's certainly not to be an offensive focal point out of the post, but he's good enough to space the floor and he won't be a hiding spot for no-D big men on opposing teams.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#11 » by bondom34 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:35 am

Yeah, I think he's a great potential sleeper late first round type guy. He should be great against weaker defensive bigs and can def shoot. He rebounds very well which translates, and I always feel like its a huge plus when a big is a good FT shooter.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
teamjosh04
Senior
And1: 17

Post#12 » by teamjosh04 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:45 am

165bows wrote:
Golabki wrote:Among centers I have:

1. Noel
2. Adams
3. Gobert
4. Len
5. Deing
6. Muscala
7. Withey
8. Olynyk
9. Plumlee

I agree this guy is getting sold short a bit by not being included in the group of top big men. He seems like someone who might be higher on teams' individual boards than on the mock drafts.

And I can't remember the specifics, but doesn't Butler have a bit of a history of shutting some top prospects down?

Butler's Andrew Smith did a very good job defending Cody Zeller earlier in the year so it wasnt a surprise he did well against Muscala too. Smith was really the perfect defensive guy to go against Muscala because he moves well and is long. Smith isn't strong in the post, but neither Zeller or Muscala were the type of guys who could take advantage of that.

Muscala to me is a faceup PF and should be taken in the second round.
Pacers1967
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#13 » by Pacers1967 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:00 am

He barely shot 50% from 2pt his senior year. He's too weak to be an NBA center. I wouldn't draft him at all. His rebounding might get him on the roster, but his stats are inflated by being in the Patriot League. At his size he better be dominating the boards in a low-major. If he can't be efficient in the Patriot League, he won't be efficient in the NBA. Huge pass from me.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,715

Post#14 » by Ell Curry » Thu May 30, 2013 12:14 pm

I thought he looked way too slow and unathletic to be an Nba big man against Butler. He would have to do what Hibbert did and be ready to remake his body once drafted.
Where's the D?
Golabki
General Manager

Post#15 » by Golabki » Thu May 30, 2013 4:25 pm

Ell Curry wrote:I thought he looked way too slow and unathletic to be an Nba big man against Butler. He would have to do what Hibbert did and be ready to remake his body once drafted.

True... but don't think an NBA conditioning program is going to be a little more rigorous?
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,715

Post#16 » by Ell Curry » Fri May 31, 2013 12:45 pm

Golabki wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:I thought he looked way too slow and unathletic to be an Nba big man against Butler. He would have to do what Hibbert did and be ready to remake his body once drafted.

True... but don't think an NBA conditioning program is going to be a little more rigorous?

Sure. I think if a team thinks they can seriously increase his fluidity and athleticism, and they like his feel for the game, they should draft him. He apparently is a fantastic shooter and he has the height.

But I can't see him being quick enough to play the 4 or good enough defensively to play the 5 without being able to move his feet a lot faster. Unless Andrew Smith on Butler is Noah or Bosh level quick or Muscala was hurt, Smith shouldn't have been moving so much better than Muscala in that tourney game. That's literally the only time I've seen Muscala play, so I'm not an expert here.
Where's the D?
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#17 » by Dr Positivity » Fri May 31, 2013 4:43 pm

I see Ryan Kelly's style of offense as a bigger guarantee at C. Plus Kelly should be able to defend bigger Cs easier.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,350

Post#18 » by Nuntius » Fri May 31, 2013 7:09 pm

I would definitely draft Muscala. I was impressed by his DX scouting video.

He lacks strength but that's something that can be fixed. He is reported to have a great work ethic so he should be able to work around it.

And if he struggles against Cs then put him at PF. He has enough athletic tools to play at PF. I would certainly like him as a scoring big off the bench.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
pistons
Senior
And1: 16

Post#19 » by pistons » Mon Jun 3, 2013 6:00 pm

That DX video had me wondering why he wasn't projected to be a lotto pick lol
stanley14
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#20 » by stanley14 » Mon Jun 3, 2013 10:01 pm

He should be a solid player for a long run in the NBA, I also think he's underrated but he will be struggling like crazy if he doesn't add wight.

Return to NBA Draft