The Enigmatic Tony Mitchell

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,162

The Enigmatic Tony Mitchell 

Post#1 » by TrueWarrior » Sat Jun 1, 2013 11:16 am

Ultra athletic dude from a small conference who beasted last year looking like a sure lotto pick only to regress in every way this season racking up Ls under a new coach.

What are your opinions on this guy?

Theres been issues about his motor and all that but in a draft like this with very little PF prospects I have a hard time believing this man wont at least go top 20 based off his physical tools alone. Once he starts workouts I imagine some team will fall in love with his hops.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Re: The Enigmatic Tony Mitchell 

Post#2 » by princeofpalace » Sat Jun 1, 2013 11:19 am

He's Tyrus Thomas 2.0- he doesn't play with effort and doesn't have great ball IQ. I dont think he should go top 20 but he will get overrated because of size/athleticism
TrueWarrior
RealGM

Post#3 » by TrueWarrior » Sat Jun 1, 2013 1:05 pm

princeofpalace wrote:He's Tyrus Thomas 2.0- he doesn't play with effort and doesn't have great ball IQ. I dont think he should go top 20 but he will get overrated because of size/athleticism

Well Tyrus Thomas isnt a bad pick in the 15-25 range. He obviously wasnt top 5 pick material but I think many teams would take a healthy Tyrus with a late 1st. Mitchell seems like hed at least be able to rebound, block some shots, run the floor and be a decent backup just off his athleticism. Hes shown flashes of a jumper (shot 43% from three last year) and other stuff too. So yea hes got upside you cant ignore. Could be out of the league in a few years sure or could carve out a nice niche for himself. You can teach a jumpshot but you cant teach springs.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#4 » by 8305 » Sat Jun 1, 2013 2:05 pm

He would be well served if he landed on a team with a good culture, populated by guys who work hard at improving. Most very good athletes succeed if they work hard. Decent chance of that happening if he goes to a playoff team. A playoff team that can fit him into their rotation would be ideal.
TrueWarrior
RealGM

Post#5 » by TrueWarrior » Sat Jun 1, 2013 2:28 pm

8305 wrote:He would be well served if he landed on a team with a good culture, populated by guys who work hard at improving. Most very good athletes succeed if they work hard. Decent chance of that happening if he goes to a playoff team. A playoff team that can fit him into their rotation would be ideal.

Agreed. Personally I want my Knicks to take him if hes there. We have a huge hole at PF with Amare likely on a minute restriction/injury plagued and KMart might not be brought back. Plus KMart is old and injury plagued himself if he is brought back. I think Mitchell would fit nicely here. We have some vets and Shumpert is a hard worker so hopefully theyd rub off on him.

We just need some more high potential guys who could also play a little off the bat. Sort of like how Shump was for us. Mitchell fits that too. He should be able to give 10-15 minutes fairly soon since he already has an NBA body. Anything more than that is gravy.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#6 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jun 1, 2013 4:11 pm

Aside from the other weaknesses, anybody think he's an overrated athlete? One of those players who can throw down an amazing dunk, but in the game footage he doesn't look like this otherwordly athlete IMO. Doesn't look like he moves that well to me, haven't seen explosive first step plays, even vertically perhaps not quick off his feet, instead excelling in max height when he has time to prepare
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#7 » by ManualRam » Sat Jun 1, 2013 6:30 pm

i think he'll do much better in a less pressurized, more specialized role. he was never equipped to be the man on any team. just tell him to rebound, block shots, make athletic plays and be opportunistic on offense. keep it simple for him and i think he'll be productive in his time.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
SixerFever215
Pro Prospect
And1: 78

Post#8 » by SixerFever215 » Sat Jun 1, 2013 8:11 pm

ManualRam wrote:i think he'll do much better in a less pressurized, more specialized role. he was never equipped to be the man on any team. just tell him to rebound, block shots, make athletic plays and be opportunistic on offense. keep it simple for him and i think he'll be productive in his time.

I totally agree with this! People don't realize this kid was a really good rebounder many scouts say a good rebounder in college will be a good rebounder in the NBA. The NBa game is wide open so a guy like him will thrive Blake Griffin is a guy he gets compared too and look what he's done in the league with NO back to the basket game
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#9 » by ManualRam » Sat Jun 1, 2013 9:11 pm

SixerFever215 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:i think he'll do much better in a less pressurized, more specialized role. he was never equipped to be the man on any team. just tell him to rebound, block shots, make athletic plays and be opportunistic on offense. keep it simple for him and i think he'll be productive in his time.

I totally agree with this! People don't realize this kid was a really good rebounder many scouts say a good rebounder in college will be a good rebounder in the NBA. The NBa game is wide open so a guy like him will thrive Blake Griffin is a guy he gets compared too and look what he's done in the league with NO back to the basket game

i dont see the blake griffin comparison. blake might not be overly skilled as a scorer but he's a good enough of a threat to draw extra attention from the defense, even commanding doubles at times. i don't see mitchell as that type of player at all. trying to reprise the role of josh smith, or the role that josh WOULD play if he was a more disciplined, self-aware player, i think should be mitchell's goal. i think that's a role he can play in the future if he focuses his energy on defending and rebounding, while just being athletic and opportunistic on offense.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
TrueWarrior
RealGM

Post#10 » by TrueWarrior » Sat Jun 1, 2013 9:43 pm

Yea Im with you on this. No reason he cant just concentrate on those things. Sort of like how KMart was for us this year. Mitchell obviously wont need to be a go to scorer at all. Just work on a reliable jumper and other small offensive moves, but just rebound rebound rebound. He has a place in this league if he can do that.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#11 » by Jazzfan12 » Sat Jun 1, 2013 10:51 pm

Pure (meaning, they still suck defensively while being limited offensively like Faried or Evans) rebounders aren't valuable.
pfm
Sixth Man
And1: 1,652

Post#12 » by pfm » Sat Jun 1, 2013 11:01 pm

Jazzfan12 wrote:Pure (meaning, they still suck defensively while being limited offensively like Faried or Evans) rebounders aren't valuable.

Faried isn't valuable?

Wut.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 386

Post#13 » by pad300 » Sun Jun 2, 2013 3:02 am

princeofpalace wrote:He's Tyrus Thomas 2.0- he doesn't play with effort and doesn't have great ball IQ. I dont think he should go top 20 but he will get overrated because of size/athleticism

I'm hoping he falls to SAS... From his first year, he's not TT; he has more tools (ie something that can be a good jumpshot - 43% from the college 3). The big thing he has to realize and accept is Josh Smith truth - you are a PF not an SF; you aren't winning skills competitions with guy who are 2-3" shorter and 30 or so lbs lighter. As a full time PF with good developmental coaching (something SAS can provide), he could become something quite nice - at a peak, Josh Smith with a BRAIN...
teamjosh04
Senior
And1: 17

Post#14 » by teamjosh04 » Mon Jun 3, 2013 12:24 am

Hes accepted that he is a power forward. Hes training to be a power forward.
teamjosh04
Senior

Post#15 » by teamjosh04 » Mon Jun 3, 2013 12:24 am

Hes accepted that he is a power forward. Hes training to be a power forward.
TrueWarrior
RealGM

Post#16 » by TrueWarrior » Mon Jun 3, 2013 3:28 am

Yea Mitchell's future is clearly as a PF. He has the size and could develop into a nice stretch 4 once his shot becomes more consistent. A stretch 4 who can rebound and block shots is much more valuable than another SF.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 386

Post#17 » by pad300 » Mon Jun 3, 2013 7:34 pm

teamjosh04 wrote:Hes accepted that he is a power forward. Hes training to be a power forward.

Really? Let's just say he wasted this NCAA season then...
teamjosh04
Senior

Post#18 » by teamjosh04 » Mon Jun 3, 2013 8:56 pm

Thats what he told me.

With the lack of spacing their team had, it was really hard for him to score inside. Especially without a post game and seeing constant double teams and sagging defenses. It just seemed he got frustrated and played more and more on the perimeter. I do think he believed he was a SF at one point, but this season seemed to be a wake up call.

Besides that though, the season was definitely a waste though because his motor was so poor.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#19 » by cedric76 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:04 am

Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic