Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

need4detroit
Analyst
And1: 769

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope 

Post#1 » by need4detroit » Thu May 30, 2013 1:03 am

What does everyone think of KCP? Any Gerogie fans or people that have had an extended look at KCP last year?
Detroit Sports Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/need4detroit
bkseven wrote:He's between average and above average.
teamjosh04
Senior
And1: 17

Re: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope 

Post#2 » by teamjosh04 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:09 am

http://nbaprospects.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... -pope.html

Just did up my scouting report on him. I like Allen Crabbe better.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,527

Post#3 » by Dr Positivity » Thu May 30, 2013 5:35 am

KCP and Tony Mitchell are the two guys that could go high-ish, that I'm way out on, like out of my top 40 out on. KCP to me has two huge problems in that he doesn't attack the rim very much and he has a weak feel for the game. If that holds, puts him behind the 8 ball to be anything valuable. As for his jumpshot, I never entirely trust sub 80% FT shooters in NCAA (could go one way or the other) plus he had a poor freshman year from 3. If he's a standout shooter as advertised I only see him as a solid rotation player due to his other flaws. If he doesn't have 3pt range I see him as out of the NBA quickly. Most likely scenario is somewhere in the middle, a guy who's hot/cold from 3 in part from a erratic shot selection and if that's his entire offensive game, that's not a lot to go on.
nickforthreee
Sixth Man
And1: 217

Post#4 » by nickforthreee » Thu May 30, 2013 8:34 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:KCP and Tony Mitchell are the two guys that could go high-ish, that I'm way out on, like out of my top 40 out on. KCP to me has two huge problems in that he doesn't attack the rim very much and he has a weak feel for the game. If that holds, puts him behind the 8 ball to be anything valuable. As for his jumpshot, I never entirely trust sub 80% FT shooters in NCAA (could go one way or the other) plus he had a poor freshman year from 3. If he's a standout shooter as advertised I only see him as a solid rotation player due to his other flaws. If he doesn't have 3pt range I see him as out of the NBA quickly. Most likely scenario is somewhere in the middle, a guy who's hot/cold from 3 in part from a erratic shot selection and if that's his entire offensive game, that's not a lot to go on.

I want some of whatever your smoking.

seriously though, we are on opposite ends of the spectrum on this one.

to answer the OP, I watched most of georgias games this season solely to see this kid play. he is one of the very few players in this draft who I see having allstar potential. in my opinion he is the 2nd best pure shooter in the draft (behind allen crabbe). ive never seen a player have to carry his team like KCP did for georiga. his teammates looked like they were from a pickup game at the YMCA. Thats why people looking in from the outside see a bad shot selection but people who watch Georgia know that most of those shots were necessary for him to take, because his teammates shot enough bricks to build a house. Caldwell-pope was TRIPLE TEAMED at times, still managed to score. averaged 7 rebounds per game, hustles on defense, and gets chase down blocks like LeBron. He is the complete 2 guard scoring package because he can get you in so many ways, transition, spot up, off screens, off the dribble pull ups. His only glaring flaw is he needs to tighten up his handle because he is going to get the ball stolen when he tries to drive to the rim. once he gets to the rim hes a good finisher, its getting there that's the problem. good size and athleticism for a 2guard. also really deadly in the clutch. has range beyond NBA 3point line. quick release, great mechanics. I see him as a starting 2 guard in the NBA especially if he gets picked to the right team like the Timberwolves or Trailblazers. For an NBA comparison right now 3 guys come to mind: Nick Young, Klay Thompson, JR Smith (without the ego and offcourt problems). But that's the kind of player I see him as being right now, I think he has the potential to be better than all 3. Top 10 pick in this draft for sure.
Brapman
Starter
And1: 443

Post#5 » by Brapman » Thu May 30, 2013 8:55 pm

I think KCP is going to get a serious look see from the Pistons at #8 and then every team that picks after that selection until he's selected.

It seems to me that the thing he most needs is to get stronger, and when that happens his shot and his ability to finish through contact, plus his ability to defend, will all fall nicely into place for him.
jhern87
Starter
And1: 128

Post#6 » by jhern87 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:29 pm

The fact that he seems incapable of attacking the rim is a serious red flag for me.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#7 » by MalonesElbows » Thu May 30, 2013 10:00 pm

Brapman wrote:I think KCP is going to get a serious look see from the Pistons at #8 and then every team that picks after that selection until he's selected.

It seems to me that the thing he most needs is to get stronger, and when that happens his shot and his ability to finish through contact, plus his ability to defend, will all fall nicely into place for him.

As do I, but at the end of the day they will go with Bazz due to his superior length, athleticism, and upside.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,053

Post#8 » by Marvin Martian » Thu May 30, 2013 11:35 pm

jhern87 wrote:The fact that he seems incapable of attacking the rim is a serious red flag for me.

Is that really true?...KCP has a FTA/FGA of .39 which is identical to Shabazz. Not to mention that KCP has Shabazz beat in multiple categories while being the same age.
teamjosh04
Senior
And1: 17

Post#9 » by teamjosh04 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:11 am

Hes explosive going to the rim but is a weak ball handler and lacks a true mid-range game. He can finish when he gets to the rim and draw contact.

not sure why everyone wants to compare all wings to Shabazz like hes the ultimate measuring stick. shabazz had a relatively poor season.
jhern87
Starter
And1: 128

Post#10 » by jhern87 » Fri May 31, 2013 6:35 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:
jhern87 wrote:The fact that he seems incapable of attacking the rim is a serious red flag for me.

Is that really true?...KCP has a FTA/FGA of .39 which is identical to Shabazz. Not to mention that KCP has Shabazz beat in multiple categories while being the same age.

Watch his draft express video. Maybe he can but I got the feeling that its a part of his game that he struggles with.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,053

Post#11 » by Marvin Martian » Fri May 31, 2013 7:51 pm

jhern87 wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:

Watch his draft express video. Maybe he can but I got the feeling that its a part of his game that he struggles with.

I saw it but I see a bit of a disconnect. Players do not get fouled on jumpshots and if you are truly "incapable of attacking the rim", then your FTA/FGA should not be this high. It's common sense.

Terrance Ross from last year draft had a similar problem and he had the .2 FTA/FGA to back it up. KCP doesn't.
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 884

Post#12 » by Niko23 » Sat Jun 1, 2013 1:37 pm

Wow I was getting excited as a Cavs fan that he might land to #19. Could he play the 3?
hussamga
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#13 » by hussamga » Sun Jun 2, 2013 9:17 am

His handle needs work. But regarding getting to the rim, he has the speed to get there, its just UGA had no post offense so zone defenders just waiting, making penetration difficult. Also offense was pretty stagnant moving ball along the perimeter and no cutters. Pretty much they worked pick n roll and screens to get KCP the ball. The offense was terrible, especially early in the season.

His footwork is good, doesnt ever pound the ball, quick pullup, shot fake side step, or pass pretty much. Once he adds more handles with combination of jab step and he will be able to get to the rim quickly with players playing him close for shot.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#14 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Jun 4, 2013 2:58 am

Niko23 wrote:Wow I was getting excited as a Cavs fan that he might land to #19. Could he play the 3?

The latest mock from draft express actually has him falling to #19, with Cavs taking him.
stanley14
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#15 » by stanley14 » Tue Jun 4, 2013 3:29 am

I have him going 21 to the jazz, reminds me of Richard Hamilton.
KCP is a solid player but there's not many teams that need a shooting guard, even the ones that do before the jazz will have better players available, here's my top 10 SG's:

1. Ben Mclemore
2. Victor Oladipo
3. Jamaal Franklin
4. Allen Crabbe
5. Tim Hardaway Jr
6. Alex Abrines
7. KCP
8. Archie Goodwin
9. Erick Green
10. Ray McCollum
DiabeticSteve
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#16 » by DiabeticSteve » Tue Jun 4, 2013 7:41 am

To be fair, I must say that I'm in China and watched precisely zero college games this year. With that said, from what I've read and seen from KCP (DraftExpress, NBADraft.net), I really like his game. He can shoot, has length, and isn't a bad defender. I personally love shooters, and as a Wolves fan, they've lacked an actual SG for years and years, so I always look at the SGs around the time of the draft, wondering if they'll get any of them. If I'm Flip, I would heavily consider KCP at #9, but maybe that's just me. His shot selection can stand to improve, but I think he would fit in really well with Love and Rubio, and would give the Wolves some 3-point shooting, which they need.
BossHoggin wrote:It takes skill to be worse than a team that lost 26 games in a row.

Indeed.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#17 » by Goldbum » Thu Jun 6, 2013 5:00 am

i'm starting to like this kid more and more. Not sure if I want my Blazers to take him but I believe he is going to be a real nice NBA for 10+ years.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Blast Tyrant
Banned User
And1: 3,059

Post#18 » by Blast Tyrant » Thu Jun 6, 2013 6:02 am

Dr Positivity wrote:KCP and Tony Mitchell are the two guys that could go high-ish, that I'm way out on, like out of my top 40 out on. KCP to me has two huge problems in that he doesn't attack the rim very much and he has a weak feel for the game. If that holds, puts him behind the 8 ball to be anything valuable. As for his jumpshot, I never entirely trust sub 80% FT shooters in NCAA (could go one way or the other) plus he had a poor freshman year from 3. If he's a standout shooter as advertised I only see him as a solid rotation player due to his other flaws. If he doesn't have 3pt range I see him as out of the NBA quickly. Most likely scenario is somewhere in the middle, a guy who's hot/cold from 3 in part from a erratic shot selection and if that's his entire offensive game, that's not a lot to go on.

I read your site every couple of days, and I usually agree with you but this is one player I really differ on.

He seems to have a solid grasp of use of screens, both when he is in pick and roll and moving without the ball. One of his best strengths is the ability to get to HIS spot and stick pullups. He's got that knack for shaking guys with the step back, and he's got the length and elevation to get his shot off against NBA level Shooting Guards. One thing I love about him is how he's so aggressive in transition, and it shows that he may be able to create a slashing game. He's a better Terrence Ross, which is a pretty damn good player. Top 5 potential in the draft, but may not go til 15-20 range just because of the pure depth at SG in this draft with McLemore, Oladipo, Hardaway, and Crabbe. CJ McCollum too if you consider him a SG. It's the strongest position in the draft which may actually serve him well. Falling to a veteran team like Boston, Chicago, Memphis or San Antonio could benefit him long term if he were to drop that far.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#19 » by Catchall » Thu Jun 6, 2013 9:09 pm

I like Glen Rice Jr. and Jamal Franklin as much as KCP. I might actually put those two guys ahead. It has to do with feel, athleticism and aggressiveness. He looks like a solid shooter though.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Post#20 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Jun 6, 2013 9:26 pm

Pope has got some Kerry Kittles to his game and for those that remember Kittles he was a very solid 2guard that played on some good teams.

Return to NBA Draft