ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: 2013 Offseason 

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Fri May 31, 2013 3:33 am

Here is what I want this offseason:

FAs:

Let Miller, Cleary, Filppula and White walk (I will scream if any are brought back, though I'm sure Cleary is in line for the classic Wings over 35, 2 year deal). Bye byes hopefully all around. Resign Brunner. Bring back the RFAs. It isn't a strong FA class, at all, that I can see, so unless some trade is coming, I'm for bringing up the farm permanently.

My EARLY lines:

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen
Brunner-Zetterberg-Sammy/Bert
Tatar-Helm-Abdelkader
Eaves-Andersson-Tootoo (Emmerton)

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Ericsson
Qunicey-Kindl
(Colo-Lashoff)

Howard
Monster

What I notice: We still need a top-line forward; specifically not one of the old guys on the second...a real sniper. A guy who can notch 25-30 and not some lumbering ass. I want Nyquist and Tatar getting big minutes and the D to go young. We cannot keep signing these 35+ vets to two year deals anymore.
tldr; Bring up young guys (Nyquist/Tatar/Andersson) permanentlyFind a top-6 scorer
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,717

Post#3 » by Timmaytime » Mon Jun 3, 2013 9:46 pm

Agreed on team needs, could still use an elite scorer and a #1 d-man. We are likely going to have to go without that this free agency due to the weak class. Our best hope is to ride the youth and Z/D until 2014 free agency comes around.

Run this lineup next year
Nyquist-Dats-Franzen
Brunner-Z-Tatar
Eaves-Helm-Abdelkader (imagine the scrapping)
Tootoo-Andersson-Bert

Kronwall-Big E
Smitty-Danny D
Quincy-Kindl
(Cola)

Jimmy
Mrazek

draft Valentin Zykov, and i know this is for the current offseason but i'm going to wait for 2014 when we can go after the likes of Kris Letang/Phil Kessel, we then run:

Zetterberg-Dats-Kessel
Nyquist-Helm-Tatar
Brunner-Andersson-Franzen
Callahan-UFA-Abdelkader

Letang-Kronwall
Smitty-Danny D
Kindl-Ericsson

Howard
Mrazek

That's my dream
ComboGuardCity wrote:If Bellinelli drops 50 and we lose I’ll eat my dog
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by ajaX82 » Wed Jun 5, 2013 8:26 pm

^ I like your lines better.

I've also forgotten that we have a couple of amnesty options in the next few seasons to use. Like the NBA amnesty...link below for those interested. Given that and the need to resign Brunner and Smith/RFAs, I would be thrilled to amnesty Bert and Sammy. Sammy seems more likely and is arguably one of Hollands dumbest contracts ever. By getting rid of both, you would save 5 million to sign our important young guys and maybe open some room up for a trade.

Thoughts on amnesty options?

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013 ... o-summers/
drew_28
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#5 » by drew_28 » Sat Jun 8, 2013 7:55 pm

I like Nyquist a lot...but I don't think he jumps to the top line. I may be a minority, but I actually think Abby on the top line isn't a bad idea. He hits anything that moves and creates a lot of space. I think the Wings should go hard after Clowe. He played well in NY and I think he'd fill out that second line much better than Cleary. More offense and more hitting. I'd also try to go after Streit in FA. Let Bert retire, buy out Sammuelson and let Flippula walk and try to trade Quincy and the Monster at the deadline for a 4th or 5th rounder or anything really...

Draft wise i'd look hard at Zach Fucole if he falls...or Anthony Mantha (50 goal scorer good size)

I'd be happy with this combo

Forwards

Franzon Datz Abby
Nyquist Zetterberg Clowe
Tatar Helm Brunner
Miller Anderson Cleary

4th line alternates: Emmerton, Eaves

Quick call ups: Mursek, Jurco, Lashoff

D-Line:

Kronwall Ericksson
Smith Streit
DeKeyser Kindl
(Colaiacovo)

Goalies:

Howard
Mrazek
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by ajaX82 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:15 pm

Miller back, presumably on the 4th and in his PK role. Filp rumored to be gone. Cleary likely back is what I'm hearing. Should be an interesting offseason, though Cleary and Miller back is cringeworthy
drew_28
Sophomore

Post#7 » by drew_28 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:00 am

I think Cleary and Miller still have value as energy players on the 4th line.

I'd rather have Cleary for locker room leadership than Samuelson and Bert. Plus if his hometown connections help bring Clowe to Detroit...all the better.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by ajaX82 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:58 am

drew_28 wrote:I think Cleary and Miller still have value as energy players on the 4th line.

I'd rather have Cleary for locker room leadership than Samuelson and Bert. Plus if his hometown connections help bring Clowe to Detroit...all the better.

Miller is a good penalty killer... I will live with him. Though he doesn't do much else and he doesn't bring the toughness we so desperately need. Sammy and Bert are still under contract is the problem...Cleary isn't. Problem is he takes a scoring line spot from a young guy who has earned it. Cleary won't play on the 4th line...believe that
drew_28
Sophomore

Post#9 » by drew_28 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:40 am

I would hope they'd use a buyout on Samuelson or Bert... i'd rather them free up a spot that way.

Cleary still has value for this team but his knees can't handle top line minutes which is why I think he'll drop to the bottom six and hopefully to a fourth line role (much like how Maltby or Draper finished their Wing careers).

I see Tatar as the only young gun to realistically make the jump next year (With Mursek coming in as an injury call up)...he'll hopefully grab a spot on the third line alongside Helm and Brunner and push Nyquist into Flippula's spot. If Helm isn't ready to go Andersson fills that third line centre role nicely...if he is then Andersoon can drop to fourth line alongside Miller and Cleary or Emmerton

I suppose if we don't make a push to sign another big winger (like Clowe) Cleary could fill in on that second line...but I really see him as a stopgap with those knees and shoulder and everything else.. until we can grab a better replacement. I think he's more suited for 4th line energy minutes and occasional 2pp unit time unless he wants to go somewhere else or hang em' up....
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by ajaX82 » Wed Jul 3, 2013 9:41 pm

With Carlo being waived, it looks like the defensive rotation is pretty well set, with Lashoff as the 7th guy. The big question now is who comes in to replace Filppula? Weiss is my guess
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#11 » by Sheeeeed » Fri Jul 5, 2013 7:00 pm

Wings get Weiss, and Alfredsson surprisingly leaves the Senators for the Wings.

I like the Mantha pick in the draft. He kind of reminds me of Jeff Carter.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by ajaX82 » Mon Jul 8, 2013 12:49 am

So I think the roster and lines are starting to take shape. Z and Pavel are being reunited on the first, Weiss and Alfy on the second. Here is my updated guess at what the lines will look like

Z/Datsyuk/Franzen
Nyquist/Weiss/Alfy
Abby/Helm/Tatar
Miller/Andersson/Eaves
(Tootoo/Emmerton)

LTIR: Sammy, Bert

Kronner/Ericsson
Dekeyser/Smith
Kindl/Quincey
(Lashoff)

Howard
Monster
(Mrazek)
drew_28
Sophomore

Post#13 » by drew_28 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:02 am

I like those line pairings.

Sometimes i'm tempted to put Nyquist on that top line with Z and Datz but I think he'd work better as a speedy outlet for Weiss to feed. That top six has the potential to be very good.

Curiously to see what you guys think of the "quick call ups" or injury guys.

I expect Sammuelson will get the call here and there...but i'd love to see them bring up Jarnkrok to fill in for Helm once in a while.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:45 pm

drew_28 wrote:I like those line pairings.

Sometimes i'm tempted to put Nyquist on that top line with Z and Datz but I think he'd work better as a speedy outlet for Weiss to feed. That top six has the potential to be very good.

Curiously to see what you guys think of the "quick call ups" or injury guys.

I expect Sammuelson will get the call here and there...but i'd love to see them bring up Jarnkrok to fill in for Helm once in a while.

I don't think Jarnkrok is first in line for a call-up at all. He struggled in his 9 game AHL tryout last year and is going to need some time to adjust to the NA game. We like to bring our guys along slow (as you know), so methinks that the entire season is spent in GR for him...which is a good thing!

As for Forward call-ups, Sheahan is tops. He's already played 3 years of college hockey and a year in GR and has been steadily improving...he looks like the perfect first call-up. Size and phsicality also won't be a problem. The other forward sticking out in my mind is Ferraro. Fast, good two way game and 2 years in GR. This is the guy who could most easily replicate Helm's game.

Defensively is a bit trickier because our top guys are a ways out. Sproul and Ouellet aren't ready yet and Backman is staying in Sweden I think. That leaves Jensen or Almquist as the two guys most likely to come play a few. Seeing as both are smaller, quicker d-men, let's hope some of our big Defensemen don't get hurt...they would be tough to replace right off the bat.

In goal, it's Mrazek; end of story.

As you can tell, I have spent just a tad bit of time researching prospects. We have a really deep and talented system and I'm very excited to see some of the kids play. I've got very high hopes for a few in particular
drew_28
Sophomore

Post#15 » by drew_28 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:58 pm

Agree to disagree on Jarnkrok. He has been playing against men in Sweden for the past four years. He'll need to adjust to the ice here, without a doubt. But he is a legitimate top six player that you have to think will be given at least a few games on the Wings third line. Especially if Helm isn't 100%. I'll admit that Sheahan looks good and will likely get some games as well, but I don't think he's further along than Jarnkork.

My top five forward prospects are:

1. Jarnkrok
2. Sheahan
3. Jurco
4. Mantha
5. Frk

Realistically I only see Jarkrok, Sheahan and Jurco getting any time at all with the Wings this season. Especially considering that Nyquist, Tatar and Andersson will all have regular spots. I'd say Pulkkinen has an outside shot, but he's pretty raw right now.

Return to Detroit Red Wings