Thoughts on Jamal Franklin from SDSU?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

eastsideballer
Ballboy
And1: 0

Thoughts on Jamal Franklin from SDSU? 

Post#1 » by eastsideballer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:39 am

Personally, I think he's pretty underrated and deserves to go mid first round. The guy has an excellent feel for the game, can score it, is terrific on the boards, and plays good defense. His ball handling skills could use some work, but ultimately I think he'll be a great addition to whatever team drafts him (most likely late in the first round) and will be in the league for many years to come.

Also, for those who may be interested, I came across a great article featuring him earlier today: http://usportshub.com/content/jamaal-fr ... -nba-draft
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Re: Thoughts on Jamal Franklin from SDSU? 

Post#2 » by BaunceyChillups » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:46 am

His brutal inefficiency as a scorer will probably hold him back.

I like how hard he works though.
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#3 » by Novocaine » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:00 am

He can't shoot or go left. Bit dumb too. Reminds me a lot of a young Tony Allen. It'll take him some years to mature into a good player.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#4 » by Winglish » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:03 am

My 8 year old has a better shooting percentage from every spot on the court. She can't dunk it though so I'm calling it even between the two.
reapaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,220

Post#5 » by reapaman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:19 am

I already talked about him at great length but I'll just say he will be beast and I mean SG version of Shawn Marion type of beast. Most people that have commented negatively no nothing about him other than stats which have been proven over and over to be a horrible indicator of NBA success.

People will be floored next season when he exceeds all their expectations. I expect many apologies and typical real gm hypocrisy. He will be a multi-time all-star, book it.
BRING JAMAAL FRANKLIN TO UTAH!!!!!
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#6 » by Eoghan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:39 am

If he goes to a good team, he can become a great role player. Think Spurs/Kawhi Leonard.
Novocaine
Veteran

Post#7 » by Novocaine » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:44 am

BrotherDave wrote:If he goes to a good team, he can become a great role player. Think Spurs/Kawhi Leonard.

His shooting mechanics are way more screwed up than Leonard's. Plus, Franklin is quite smaller, Leonard has 2 inches on him plus the gigantic wingspan. And Leonard was more polished, less out of control.

I also thing he can become a good role player but really needs to fix the shot a bit and play smarter. I think Tony Allen or Dahntay Jones are better comparisons.
TheToothFairy
Banned User
And1: 297

Post#8 » by TheToothFairy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:02 am

Impacien wrote:
BrotherDave wrote:If he goes to a good team, he can become a great role player. Think Spurs/Kawhi Leonard.

His shooting mechanics are way more screwed up than Leonard's. Plus, Franklin is quite smaller, Leonard has 2 inches on him plus the gigantic wingspan. And Leonard was more polished, less out of control.

I also thing he can become a good role player but really needs to fix the shot a bit and play smarter. I think Tony Allen or Dahntay Jones are better comparisons.

Leonard is a SF

frnaklin is a SG, Franklin has a 6'11 Wingspan
gw795
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#9 » by gw795 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:06 am

Does everything except shoot well from 3. I would definitely pick him in the late teens. Very good at drawing fouls and rebounding. Underrated at passing too.
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#10 » by noobcake » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:19 am

Advanced stats/statistical draft rankings really hates him.
Novocaine
Veteran

Post#11 » by Novocaine » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:21 am

TheToothFairy wrote:
Impacien wrote:

Leonard is a SF

frnaklin is a SG, Franklin has a 6'11 Wingspan

What's your point?

Those positions are the same in today's league. The point is that Leonard can defend pretty much every wing in the league. Franklin won't be able to defend LeBron James or Paul Pierce or Paul George, only smaller wings.

Leonard's superior size is an advantage. And he has a 7'3'' wingspan.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#12 » by karkinos » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:04 am

i totally forgot about this guy

love his motor and energy. plays both ends of the floor. if i wanted a shooter i'd probably take crabbe in the late first. if i wanted a project, franklin is a good one.
franklin needs a lot of work on his mechanics and shot selection choices. just out of control at times. when he gets his focus to master 2 moves and their counters, he could be a solid role player.

like kcp, outstanding rebounder at the SG position which is always appreciated.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#13 » by Nolan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:47 am

He's not the most effective player on the offensive end, in fact he's down right terrible. But he's got the motor, the body, the athletic ability and room to improve. He's raw but if he keeps working he'll be in the league for a long time in some capacity.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
niffoc4
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#14 » by niffoc4 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:25 pm

How much of his shot selection had to do with needing to carry his team?
Assistant Coach
And1: 601

Post#15 » by 8305 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:03 pm

I think he will be a starter in the league some day. The problems people have with his game sound alot like the same problems identified for Paul George and Kwahi Leonard. And like George and Leonard one of his positives is work ethic. I think you bet on exceptional athletes who will work hard.

I won't be surprised if in five years he reguarded as one of the 10 best players in this draft.

Totally fine with the Pacers taking him at 23. Hope he's there.
karkinos
Head Coach

Post#16 » by karkinos » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:22 pm

if i'm sitting at the 19th pick, no way i let franklin slip to 20.
reapaman
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by reapaman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:46 pm

Impacien wrote:

No don't even do that because thats not what the majority of people were saying about Leonard. The general consensus was that he was extremely raw offensively and it would take him a years to learn how to shoot. Plus most people glossed over his physical attributes basically like "thats nice and all" so don't even mention that because apparently it didn't mean much to most people then.

And BTW, Franklin was overall more effecient and shot his threes at a better clip in his 2nd year than Leonard was in his 2nd year despite Franklin having a much bigger role and getting way more defensive attention so you have no idea what your talking about. His effeciency may have dipped in his 3rd year (like most juniors do) but that was due to him being in a tougher situation and concentrating on other parts of his game such as playmaking and defense which he successfully improved.

Its all cool to not like a guy but don't try to say he can't succeed when you clearly know nothing about the guy in question (Franklin) or the guy your comparing him to for that matter (Leonard). I like Tony Allen but Franklin in his prime would crap on prime allen, book it.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,061

Post#18 » by tidho » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:04 pm

cancer wrote:if i'm sitting at the 19th pick, no way i let franklin slip to 20.

Visions of Christian Eyenga aren't dancing in your head?
karkinos
Head Coach

Post#19 » by karkinos » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:40 pm

i dont think i've ever seen eyenga play

all i know is he didn't play college ball in the US so whatever international exp he had was moot
reapaman
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by reapaman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:54 pm

cancer wrote:i dont think i've ever seen eyenga play

all i know is he didn't play college ball in the US so whatever international exp he had was moot

He's was just trolling. Eyenga's most relevant accomplishment was averaging a whopping 12 mpg in the ACB and being underwhemling in the process before he came here despite being in his 20's. No more needs to be said.

Return to NBA Draft