Solomon Hill

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Solomon Hill 

Post#1 » by winter_mute_13 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:44 am

I know zilch about this fella, except that my team just drafted him in the first round :lol:

Anyone with a scouting report? Is he a reach at #23? He seems to have been the Pacers' guy all along, from Pritchard's comments.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Re: Solomon Hill 

Post#2 » by SlowPaced » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:11 am

Incredible reach. I had him undrafted on my latest Mock. Good role player in college, uses his strength to get buckets and has a good court vision for a SF. But doesn't have any "very good" skill, athleticism below average, can't create his shot, bad ball handling skills, really slow for a wing player.
DRK
RealGM
And1: 3,590

Post#3 » by DRK » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Ridiculous Reach. Even for us Suns at #57 we thought it could've been a reach., and we were quite interested in him because of was a UofA guy.
MrMiyagi wrote:Lob to DA for the win
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Post#4 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:05 pm

I'm a big fan. Elite ability to attack the basket, plus 3pt shooting potential. That's a combination that could turn into starting potential
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#5 » by Golabki » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:44 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:I'm a big fan. Elite ability to attack the basket, plus 3pt shooting potential. That's a combination that could turn into starting potential

Define "elite".
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#6 » by Golabki » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:48 pm

I think Hill is a decent pick int he Chandler Parsons mold... trying to find a college role-player that translates to an NBA role-player.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,764

Post#7 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:46 pm

Golabki wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:I'm a big fan. Elite ability to attack the basket, plus 3pt shooting potential. That's a combination that could turn into starting potential

Define "elite".

Solomon Hill is elite at nothing.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#8 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:16 pm

SlowPaced wrote:Incredible reach. I had him undrafted on my latest Mock. Good role player in college, uses his strength to get buckets and has a good court vision for a SF. But doesn't have any "very good" skill, athleticism below average, can't create his shot, bad ball handling skills, really slow for a wing player.

Sounds exactly like Draymond Green, which I would be very happy with in this draft.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#9 » by SlowPaced » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:29 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
SlowPaced wrote:Incredible reach. I had him undrafted on my latest Mock. Good role player in college, uses his strength to get buckets and has a good court vision for a SF. But doesn't have any "very good" skill, athleticism below average, can't create his shot, bad ball handling skills, really slow for a wing player.

Sounds exactly like Draymond Green, which I would be very happy with in this draft.

He's far worse than Green in terms of production. Green averaged 16.2 points, 10.6 rebounds and 3.8 assists in his senior year, not to mention leading his team throughout the year. Hill averaged 13.4 points, 5.3 rebounds and 2.7 assists. Green has a 7'1'' wingspan. Hill has 6'9'' which crushes the chance of him playing as a PF at times, something Green is capable of. Green is a much better passer and a miles better rebounder. Green was elite in leadership and court vision. Hill isn't elite at anything. He isn't even "very good" at anything.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#10 » by [RCG] » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:16 pm

major reach.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
travisjordan
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#11 » by travisjordan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:42 pm

Too many people throw the term "Elite" around too loosely.

Big reach in the first round, late second would've been somewhat reasonable, but the Pacers obviously saw something in him that made him their pick.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#12 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:46 pm

travisjordan wrote:Too many people throw the term "Elite" around too loosely.

Big reach in the first round, late second would've been somewhat reasonable, but the Pacers obviously saw something in him that made him their pick.

They saw that he was equally elite as their prized pick last year, Miles Plumlee.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,043

Post#13 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:10 pm

SlowPaced wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

He's far worse than Green in terms of production. Green averaged 16.2 points, 10.6 rebounds and 3.8 assists in his senior year, not to mention leading his team throughout the year. Hill averaged 13.4 points, 5.3 rebounds and 2.7 assists. Green has a 7'1'' wingspan. Hill has 6'9'' which crushes the chance of him playing as a PF at times, something Green is capable of. Green is a much better passer and a miles better rebounder. Green was elite in leadership and court vision. Hill isn't elite at anything. He isn't even "very good" at anything.

Keep in mind that AZ brought in 3 highly touted freshmen bigs (Kaleb Tarczewski, Brandon Ashley and Grant Jerrett), so that is part of the reason he didn't have the stats Green did.

Solomon Hill is a smart, solid player that can do a little bit of everything. He knows when to pass, he can hit the three. He is a good guy for Indiana to have to come in and give West or George a breather.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#14 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:22 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Keep in mind that AZ brought in 3 highly touted freshmen bigs (Kaleb Tarczewski, Brandon Ashley and Grant Jerrett), so that is part of the reason he didn't have the stats Green did.

Solomon Hill is a smart, solid player that can do a little bit of everything. He knows when to pass, he can hit the three. He is a good guy for Indiana to have to come in and give West or George a breather.

Green played with plenty of talent at Michigan State. Hill is simply not as good as him.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,043

Post#15 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:49 am

Cammo101 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Keep in mind that AZ brought in 3 highly touted freshmen bigs (Kaleb Tarczewski, Brandon Ashley and Grant Jerrett), so that is part of the reason he didn't have the stats Green did.

Green played with plenty of talent at Michigan State. Hill is simply not as good as him.

He many not be quite as good, but your stats can be misleading, because Hill played more of a perimeter role as a senior, because they played REALLY big. Draymond Green often (usually) played with three guard lineups and only one other big, so his role was more on the inside and he could pass more to the open guy.

Hill probably played more minutes guarding guys on the perimeter as a senior which will suit him well if he needed to play or guard the 3.

He was almost always the third biggest guy on the floor for AZ, which definitely impacted his rebounding stats too. Had he played with three guards, he would have had a different role.

You can see his rebounding decreased as a senior because of this, while his 3 pt attempts went up. http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... ill-1.html

If you look at their stats as juniors, they are very close in pts and rebounding. http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compar ... =2011-2012
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,307

Post#16 » by DirtyDez » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:06 am

Cammo101 wrote:
Golabki wrote:

Define "elite".

Except for draft workouts and interviews. :lol:
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#17 » by Nolan » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:29 am

Definitely was a reach at 23. He's got the skill set to become a 3D type role player and it seems most teams are really focusing in on trying to find guys that fit that mold and I think thats why the Pacers reached on him.

At the worst he'll be a Jae Crowder/DeMarre Carroll type and at his best I could see him being kinda like Quincy Pondexter. Nothing special but a solid player.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#18 » by winter_mute_13 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:41 am

Thanks for sharing your views. I really knew nothing about this guy before, well at least I know a little more now :lol:
crgreen
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#19 » by crgreen » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:28 am

Cammo101 wrote:
Golabki wrote:

Define "elite".

But VERY GOOD at almost EVERYTHING.

Can't judge any forward or big on what Sean Miller gets out of them. I'd have loved Hill on my team.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,181

Post#20 » by Nuntius » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:28 pm

I'm fine with the Hill pick. Sure, he could be a reach at 23 and personally I'd prefer Green or Canaan but he seems like a good player that would fit in the Indiana system.

On the other hand, I was disappointed that we traded our 2nd round pick for cash. That was bad. We could have picked Arsalan Kazemi, Matthew Dellavedova or Jackie Carmichael.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch

Return to NBA Draft