ImageImageImageImageImage

Toronto Raptors* Might Sign Vassilis Spanoulis

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

interbasket
Banned User
And1: 24

Toronto Raptors* Might Sign Vassilis Spanoulis 

Post#1 » by interbasket » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:23 am

In European sports media they are saying two NBA teams are in considerations to offer contracts to Vassilis Spanoulis. That both of the teams approached him about being a rotation player and that one of the teams considers him to be a possible starter.

They are refusing to say which NBA teams they are, because that Spanoulis and his agent don't want to cause any problems in the negotiations with NBA and Euroleague teams.

But, the speculations is almost always coming to what I hear is that Raptors is probably the team. Reason why is when big media in Greece confirmed this, they said it was,

"an NBA team that was interested in Spanoulis several months ago and was leaked then they wanted to sign him this summer. This same team, has just changed their general manager."

So, I can say this must be Toronto Raptors, as this is only team I can remember in media was reported several months ago interest in getting Spanoulis supposedly in summer. And since Raptors just made a new GM move, well, it must be this team.

As for the other NBA team that is said to be prepared to offer a contract to him, this one I cannot guess. I just figured you guys would like to know. I will give some links to English because that is easier for proof, I could give Spanish or Greek links, but there is always some confusion in translations. This comes from one of the biggest European sites for basketball, third biggest European basketball news site, after eurobasket.com and sportando.net

First thing said was this:

http://www.eurohoops.net/2013/06/dribbling/29088

NBA

During the last months at least two NBA teams were impressed by what Spanoulis has achieved in Europe, and are planning to approach him officially. After his bad experience in Houston, Spanoulis is not eager to return to the States, but he already had some talks about this possibility, so you can never say never. However, one of those teams recently changed general managers, so it’s unknown at this point if the possible interest still exists, while the other one can make him in theory a starter, but can’t give him the money he will be getting in Europe.

Then later on this was reported, which seems now that the 2 NBA teams are indeed interested, even the one that "changed general managers", that at first they were not sure were still interested with the new GM.

http://www.eurohoops.net/2013/07/dribbling/29247

The meeting between Olympiacos’ front office and the top Euroleague free agent, Vassilis Spanoulis, will not happen today, despite the rumors around Greece. The Greek star returned from his vacation to Athens, there was a contact between the two sides, and the meeting was postponed to after the 4th of July and the Euroleague draw for next season in Barcelona.

Vassilis Spanoulis will not give an answer to any other offer from a European club before his meeting with Olympiacos’ owners Angelopoulos brothers, and this delay affects not only the plans of the Euroleague champions, but almost every other player on the European market, because three more top clubs (CSKA Moscow, Barcelona, Galatasaray) are waiting for him, and according to our latest info, at least one more team will try to sign him.

The only two teams that are not affected by the postponement of the crucial meeting are two NBA franchises that are still considering the case of signing the Euroleague MVP.

Maybe I am guessing wrong and this is not Raptors as one of the two NBA teams. But I think that this must be Raptors being talked about. Anyway, I saw this in a Greek forum and thought you guys here would like to know about it. I put the asterisk next to Raptors in the title because they are trying to be cryptic about the name of the teams. But it does seem to logically be that Raptors are one of the teams being talked about.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Re: Toronto Raptors* Might Sign Vassilis Spanoulis 

Post#2 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:25 am

I remember seeing these rumours months ago and thought they would die with the BC regime. Would be a clear indication we're competing next year.
DarrylFlicking
Senior
And1: 152

Post#3 » by DarrylFlicking » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:26 am

Spanoulis is staying in Europe. I can see the interest, but I doubt it happens.
Deadpool_X
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#4 » by Deadpool_X » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:27 am

Can someone tell me about him? Im at work, no time to do a serious search.
N1QUE24
Banned User
And1: 288

Post#5 » by N1QUE24 » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:28 am

Not sure if Jose.. or....
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,608

Post#6 » by Hassassin » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:29 am

I thought V-Span hated the NBA after what happened with the Rockets.
StMikes31
Banned User
And1: 591

Post#7 » by StMikes31 » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:31 am

ATLTimekeeper wrote:I remember seeing these rumours months ago and thought they would die with the BC regime. Would be a clear indication we're competing next year.

How so? We still need a PG especially if we dump Lowry.

This doesn't mean anything.
Turbo_Zone
Veteran
And1: 13,042

Post#8 » by Turbo_Zone » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:33 am

Oh man, sign him for the sigs!

Toronto Raptors - Best Team Ever Forever
...c.a.p...
Starter
And1: 503

Post#9 » by ...c.a.p... » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:33 am

StMikes31 wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:I remember seeing these rumours months ago and thought they would die with the BC regime. Would be a clear indication we're competing next year.

My thoughts exactly. Considering how much Gel Mekel got, I think paying V-Span somewhere north of $1mil would be worth the gamble wouldn't it? 2-3 year deal?
DerrickRose16 wrote:
Wade is basically Ben Gordon without the 3-point shooting. Sure, he's been a pretty good defender this year, so that would upgrade, but I'd rather have Gordon because he's cheaper and can hit those threes
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,582

Post#10 » by Zeno » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:35 am

StMikes31 wrote:

You don't pay 32 year-old MVPs from Europe multi-million to come over and tank generally, even as a back-up.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,441

Post#11 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:37 am

N1QUE24 wrote:Image

:lol:
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
StMikes31
Banned User
And1: 591

Post#12 » by StMikes31 » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:37 am

Zeno wrote:
StMikes31 wrote:

You don't pay 32 year-old MVPs from Europe multi-million to come over and tank generally, even as a back-up.

It's a small deal and a risk to see if he's any good. The team has no back up, whether he's 32 or 22, it doesn't matter.

Again, this doesn't mean anything.
Maple Jordan
Banned User
And1: 164

Post#13 » by Maple Jordan » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:39 am

I thought now that BC is gone we would be done signing these euro bums.
roundhead0
Lead Assistant
And1: 668

Post#14 » by roundhead0 » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:39 am

N1QUE24 wrote:Image

Spooky!
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,413

Post#15 » by Rapsfan07 » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:47 am

This isn't a difference making signing. Could care less
interbasket
Banned User

Post#16 » by interbasket » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:49 am

Hassassin wrote:I thought V-Span hated the NBA after what happened with the Rockets.

He gave an interview where he said he was open to NBA, when the story first came up about the Raptors some months back. It's in Greek though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZJyRrEiQfg[/youtube]

I think he does not hate the NBA. He hates Jeff Van Gundy. Because there was an interview recently where he said he had no problem with the NBA, it was just Jeff Van Gundy that he had a problem with and that he would consider NBA again in the right situation. I can look to find the interview if you want.

Zeno wrote:You don't pay 32 year-old MVPs from Europe multi-million to come over and tank generally, even as a back-up.

I think Spanoulis is going to be 31 in August.
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#17 » by JV4MVP » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:50 am

Sign Dimitris Diamantidis instead... great to tryout a guy on a small contract during a tank year
interbasket
Banned User

Post#18 » by interbasket » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:59 am

Regression2u wrote:Sign Dimitris Diamantidis instead... great to tryout a guy on a small contract during a tank year

If Raptors are looking for a point guard from Europe, Diamantidis is not an option. He cannot and does not defend the one position. He has been defending the 2 and 3 positions in Europe for many years now. He's not able to defend at the 1 position in Europe, because he is too slow.

He is more like a point forward. Besides that, he is getting old and he has really slowed down in the last couple of years. This season he was only playing good in certain times of the season. I think he is nearing the end of his physical abilities.

He is one of the 3 best players in Europe, but he is not able to defend the 1 and he is declining and getting too old. There are better options than him in Europe, if Raptors is looking there for some rotation point guard.
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#19 » by JV4MVP » Wed Jul 3, 2013 1:03 am

interbasket wrote:
Regression2u wrote:Sign Dimitris Diamantidis instead... great to tryout a guy on a small contract during a tank year

If Raptors are looking for a point guard from Europe, Diamantidis is not an option. He cannot and does not defend the one position. He has been defending the 2 and 3 positions in Europe for many years now. He's not able to defend at the 1 position in Europe, because he is too slow.

He is more like a point forward. Besides that, he is getting old and he has really slowed down in the last couple of years. This season he was only playing good in certain times of the season. I think he is nearing the end of his physical abilities.

He is one of the 3 best players in Europe, but he is not able to defend the 1 and he is declining and getting too old. There are better options than him in Europe if Raptors is looking there for some rotation point guard.

Raptors aren't about defense tho. Rudy can compensate at his position. DD needs work. Calderon couldn't defend a statue anyway... Diamantidis can't be any worse.
UneducatedFan86
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,590

Post#20 » by UneducatedFan86 » Wed Jul 3, 2013 1:05 am

Maple Jordan wrote:I thought now that BC is gone we would be done signing these euro bums.

It shouldn't matter if a player is from Europe, Canada, Argentina, China, Australia, or the US, if they can play and they fit your team, then you try and make an offer for them. The Spurs almost just won a championship with a team consisting of Euro/international "bums."

What BC did wrong was he overpaid a lot of the time (International and North American players alike) and it really hurt those players overall perceived production value. Really it can come down to a player just being paid a million dollars too much to make their contract look bad on paper.

Hopefully, with Masai at the helm, we get better use of cap space and he doesn't try to outbid himself. If they think Vassilis Spanoulis can play at this level, will come over on a decent deal and he fits a need for us (PG), then you try and acquire him. It all comes down to the dollars and the rest of the off-season moves.

Return to Toronto Raptors