Jeremy Lin is fast as hell

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

litex
Veteran
And1: 425

Jeremy Lin is fast as hell 

Post#1 » by litex » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:07 pm

Stumbled across an interesting article on Lin's speed as measured prior to the draft

Basic Athletic Measurement (BAM) is the company that administers athletic tests for the NBA Draft Combine. The Combine is an annual event where the top NBA Draft prospects (only an elite group of about 60 get invited every year) are tested for speed, strength, agility and jumping ability. BAM prides itself on being the gold standard for athletic testing, using the latest computer technology and electronic timing equipment to achieve consistent results.

Pro teams analyze these test numbers in every conceivable way to increase their odds of drafting an impact player. Lin did not get an NBA Draft Combine invite, but he did have a BAM score. Lin’s numbers for speed were released on the BAM blog today.

Lin was tested in another, less known combine—the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament (PIT). Although it’s under the radar, the Portsmouth Invitational, now in its 60th year, is actually the original Combine.
Brett Brungardt, BAM’s founder and former NBA strength and conditioning coach (Dallas Mavericks, 2000-2002), breaks down Lin’s speed numbers.

“Lin’s numbers are very impressive,” Brungardt says. “In the three-quarter court sprint, which is 25 yards, Lin’s BAM numbers compare favorably to Derrick Rose, John Wall and Kyrie Irving.”

So how fast is Jeremy Lin?

BAM gives three numbers: average speed, start speed, and top-end speed. BAM translates this into miles per hour. Average speed is calculated by an algorithm that averages start speed and top speed. Start speed is the first burst of speed, the acceleration phase. Top speed is shifting gears out of the acceleration to one’s peak speed. Here’s how Lin’s BAM numbers compare in the 25 yard sprint.

AVERAGE SPEED

Jeremy Lin: 16.66 mph

Derrick Rose: 16.60 mph

John Wall: 16.48 mph

Kyrie Irving: 15.67 mph

Lin wins this battle.

START SPEED

Lin: 13.93 mph

Wall: 13.25 mph

Irving: 12.64 mph

For Rose, BAM has only average speed data.

Lin wins this battle too.

TOP SPEED

Lin: 18.85 mph

Wall: 19.30 mph

Irving: 18.74 mph

Lin comes in second to Wall.

You can see him showing off his speed in lot of these highlights from last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF69Khfg0q8

The dude really is deadly in transition. When he pulls down a rebounds, its off to the races and not many people can keep up with him. In a strange way he reminds me of a young Leandro Barbosa, or a taller Ray Felton before he started to put on weight. I know it seems like everyone thinks Morey should move the guy, but I think he's got more potential than many give him credit for. 6'3", 200 lb Point Guards with speed on the level of guys like Wall and Irving don't come along every day.
chappadon
Junior
And1: 87

Re: Jeremy Lin is fast as hell 

Post#2 » by chappadon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:10 pm

Not sold.
litex
Veteran

Post#3 » by litex » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:11 pm

chappadon wrote:Not sold.

a convincing counterargument sir, touche.
TDots_Finest
Sophomore
And1: 324

Post#4 » by TDots_Finest » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:12 pm

Almost all my asian friends are fast as hell, so im not really that surprised.
CodyB_
Pro Prospect
And1: 389

Post#5 » by CodyB_ » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:14 pm

Excellent 5th starter / super sub. Needs to shoot better and be more consistent on D.
Don't be a jerk.
litex
Veteran

Post#6 » by litex » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:15 pm

TDots_Finest wrote:Almost all my asian friends are fast as hell, so im not really that surprised.

I dunno about all asian dudes, but there do seem to be a fair number of asian athletes with good speed. For example, look at Ichiro Suzuki.

The different between most of those guys and Lin though is that Lin is 6'3" and 200 lbs.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#7 » by miltk » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:15 pm

that sport science program on espn already did some numbers on lin...like the quickness of his release, spin move etc etc... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt4trJ5GGLs but for some reason he's kinda easy to tie up.
litex
Veteran

Post#8 » by litex » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:15 pm

CodyB_ wrote:Excellent 5th starter / super sub. Needs to shoot better and be more consistent on D.

Yeah his jumper is broke and his defense needs work, though the effort level is generally there.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#9 » by nuposse04 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:15 pm

He doesn't come across that fast with the ball, but good for him having good straight line metrics.
Dasein
Senior
And1: 447

Post#10 » by Dasein » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:17 pm

He' would be an excellent third-string point guard on a contender.
HomegrownRebel wrote: I'd rather have John Wall, Bradley Beal, Marcin Gortat, Nene, and Paul Pierce than the Warriors team. And you can keep thinking Durant would come there. Very doubtful. He loves his hometown and area. Why would he want to live closer to fruitcakes?
litex
Veteran

Post#11 » by litex » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:17 pm

nuposse04 wrote:He doesn't come across that fast with the ball, but good for him having good straight line metrics.

Did you watch the highlights? There are a bunch of times where he pulls down a board or grabs a steal, then basically outruns the entire defense down the floor to lay it in. I'm not sure he can translate his quickness to halfcourt situations beyond routine pick and rolls, but when it comes to transition he's pretty damn fast with the ball.
miltk
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by miltk » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:18 pm

Baiting
XcalibuR
Lead Assistant
And1: 79

Post#13 » by XcalibuR » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:18 pm

litex wrote:
CodyB_ wrote:Excellent 5th starter / super sub. Needs to shoot better and be more consistent on D.

Yeah his jumper is broke and his defense needs work, though the effort level is generally there.

His mid range jumper is fine. But he needs to work on releasing his catch and shoot better. Just doesn't have as much confidence/rhythm in his catch and shoot as much as his drive.
Bo Outlaw
Pro Prospect
And1: 225

Post#14 » by Bo Outlaw » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:19 pm

Dasein wrote:He' would be an excellent third-string point guard on a contender.

Lin would start on the Heat. Stop.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,155

Post#15 » by Revived » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:21 pm

He's not the fastest on the basketball court with the ball and that's all that matters.
miltk
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by miltk » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:22 pm

litex wrote:
miltk wrote:
TDots_Finest wrote:Almost all my asian friends are fast as hell, so im not really that surprised.

best speed i ever saw was some chinese kids playing missile command back in the 80's. they picked off the incoming missiles one by one

Lol. Well, if you think that's fast, watch some Koreans play Starcraft. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbpCLqryN-Q

i cannot relate to this. i don't play the game. he looks like a speed typist, though....:)
litex
Veteran

Post#17 » by litex » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:23 pm

XcalibuR wrote:
litex wrote:

His mid range jumper is fine. But he needs to work on releasing his catch and shoot better. Just doesn't have as much confidence/rhythm in his catch and shoot as much as his drive.

His form on his jumper is bizarre. I know sometimes players with strange shooting forms manage to be great shooters anyway (see: Reggie Miller, Kevin Martin, Michael Redd). But they're the exceptions. Most of the time if the form on your jumper is screwed up, it's going to be hard to be super consistent.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#18 » by nuposse04 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:25 pm

litex wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:He doesn't come across that fast with the ball, but good for him having good straight line metrics.

Did you watch the highlights? There are a bunch of times where he pulls down a board or grabs a steal, then basically outruns the entire defense down the floor to lay it in. I'm not sure he can translate his quickness to halfcourt situations beyond routine pick and rolls, but when it comes to transition he's pretty damn fast with the ball.

I've seen his highlights, he doesn't seem as fast with the ball as guys like: Rose (healthy), Westbrook, Wall, Robinson, Teague, Harris, Conley, Parker, CP3, Lawson and D. Willliams. Not to say he isn't fast with the ball but his "athleticism" is just never apparent by his game-play style. He's got maybe "good" straight line speed at best, but its his craftiness with the ball that should make opposing defenses respect him, not his athletic ability. I checked draftexpress for some numbers and didn't find anything :/ do you have the link to the original article.
litex
Veteran

Post#19 » by litex » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:27 pm

nuposse04 wrote:
litex wrote:

I've seen his highlights, he doesn't seem as fast with the ball as guys like: Rose (healthy), Westbrook, Wall, Robinson, Teague, Harris, Conley, Parker, CP3, Lawson and D. Willliams. Not to say he isn't fast with the ball but his "athleticism" is just never apparent by his game-play style. He's got maybe "good" straight line speed at best, but its his craftiness with the ball that should make opposing defenses respect him, not his athletic ability. I checked draftexpress for some numbers and didn't find anything :/ do you have the link to the original article.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/20 ... fast-lane/

The reason his numbers weren't on draftexpress was because he went to the Portsmouth Invitational

Edit: I'm a Nets fan, but I'd say he's probably at least as fast as D-Will. Obviously not as good a shooter and passer though. He's also bigger and heavier than all of the players you listed except for Rose and Westbrook.
M4P
Analyst
And1: 1,640

Post#20 » by M4P » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:27 pm

He has poor to below average lateral quickness. There's a reason why smaller PGs light him up.
HoopsMalone wrote:Shaq would still have value... But to think he'd be anywhere near as dominant as he was in the post era is just ridiculous

jahlil okafor has some of the best post moves in the last 30 years and the dude can't even get on the floor

Return to The General Board