Image Image Image Image

Official Minor League News Thread

ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,575
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Re: Official Minor League News Thread 

Post#401 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Fri Aug 2, 2013 1:38 pm

Or maybe it's just the same 2 players that I keep hearing about...

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs-talk/cub ... l-signings
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#402 » by GYBE » Fri Aug 2, 2013 4:16 pm

mlitney01 wrote:So how many of the top international prospects have we signed this season? It seems like it should be around 3-4. Any confirmation on that?

RHP Jefferson Mejia for 850k
SS Gleybar Torres for 1.7 million
RHP Erling Moreno for 800k
OF Eloy Jimenez for 2.8 million
Jen-Ho Tseng, rhp, Taiwan 1.5 million

Torres and Jimenez are the biggest prospect, but the other three were wanted by a bunch of teams too.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,575
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#403 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Tue Aug 6, 2013 7:14 pm

Awesome, our farm system is going to be completely loaded next season. Of course, it would be nice if it were loaded with more pitching though.
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#404 » by Posey H8er » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:53 pm

the Cubs promoted Kris Bryant to high A Daytona, bypassing Kane County. His line at Boise was a monstrous 351/.416/.692
Posey H8er
RealGM

Post#405 » by Posey H8er » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:44 pm

...and he homered in his second at bat at Daytona
Posey H8er
RealGM

Post#406 » by Posey H8er » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:46 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dDjCkDMXK0[/youtube]
Posey H8er
RealGM

Post#407 » by Posey H8er » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:27 pm

New video from Baseball America of Kris Bryant during the AZ Fall League-
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90RHebWA2gk[/youtube]
Posey H8er
RealGM

Post#408 » by Posey H8er » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:58 pm

For reference, a quick link to all the minor league rosters are here- http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/prospects/i ... p?c_id=chc

Though it doesn't seem fully up to date right now. Baez is in AAA, Soler and Bryant AA, Almora in +A, among others.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#409 » by GYBE » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:35 am

So tonight was a really good night on the farm.

Bryant HR
Baez HR
Soler HR
Russell HR

Oh, and Schwarber is destroying high-A and will probably join Tennessee soon.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,487

Post#410 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:51 am

GYBE wrote:So tonight was a really good night on the farm.

Bryant HR
Baez HR
Soler HR
Russell HR

Oh, and Schwarber is destroying high-A and will probably join Tennessee soon.

/yawn Just another night of Cubs baseball. Except that Schwarber couldn't get a hit in his first game in High A, Daytona, where he just got promoted to. He probably starts in AA next year after what I expect to be a strong AFL. Similar to Bryant last year. He'll then get traded at some point next year to fill a need unless they trade some of the prospects this off-season. I'm assuming they will move Schwarber off catcher since they have said they'll promote him based on his bat and his defense will dictate LF/1B. If they tolerate below average, which might be a generous description, at catcher he might stick around.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
NW7
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#411 » by NW7 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:59 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:I'm assuming they will move Schwarber off catcher since they have said they'll promote him based on his bat and his defense will dictate LF/1B. If they tolerate below average, which might be a generous description, at catcher he might stick around.

I'm holding out hope that the last thing Selig does as commissioner is add the DH to the NL.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#412 » by GYBE » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:11 am

I think the next promotion will probably be Soler to Iowa. He's just been killing it since coming back from his injury. Plus, given his contract, the team won't need to play any service time games as they likely will with Bryant.

Also interesting to note: Baez started at 2B tonight, which might be his long-term position in Chicago.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#413 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:29 pm

Soler has killed everything he has seen. I'm not sure if they will move him up to AAA this year or just start him there for the first 3-4 weeks next year before bringing him up with Bryant and Baez, but I do expect all three of them to come up together as soon as they preserve the year of service time next season which is around 3 weeks into the season.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
NW7
Pro Prospect

Post#414 » by NW7 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:23 pm

I wouldn't be shocked if Soler gets called up the last 3-4 weeks to the Cubs. Minors season ends like a month or so before the MLB season is over, right? At this point Soler just needs to keep getting practice. Because he has no service time questions due to his contract, the best thing for his development would be to keep getting at bats (while he is healthy).
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#415 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:06 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Schwarber, Soler and Russell all end up playing for Iowa in the playoffs just to get them some more games depending on when the others finish their season. I think they'll give Soler a break between the end of the minor league season and AFL. He could start in Iowa or Chicago next year. I'm interested to see who they will send to the AFL this year. I'm assuming Soler and Russell as they missed time this year. Schwarber as he looks to be on a similar path as Bryant and they are still trying to sort out his position. Almora should be there again. As for pitchers I'm guessing Tseng, Edwards, Johnson and Corey Black all seem possible.
NW7
Pro Prospect

Post#416 » by NW7 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:16 am

That would make Iowa must watch TV for any Cubs (or really baseball) fan. Would be awesome to watch that potential lineup for a few games. Realistically though, I doubt Schwarber would get called up for that. Soler seems likely he'll get called up for something like that or perhaps more unlikely a brief stint in Chicago. Russell could go either way. All three seem like locks for the AFL. As far as pitching for the AFL, I'd send Tseng, Edwards and Underwood.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#417 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:57 pm

It it common for a prospect to get jumped significantly when another team in the organization is in the playoffs just to get them more playing time and coaching. Baez might be up before then though. He has played 2B the last three games and he could be getting ready for a call up to Chicago. Having him play 2B starts to show up how they see some things long-term. If we pencil in Baez at 2B to go with Alcantara in CF and Rizzo at 1B we have the fun debate about Russell and Castro at SS and where Bryant ends up, RF/LF.
rimjobprotector
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#418 » by rimjobprotector » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:54 pm

SO maybe rizzo 1b, baez 2b, russell ss, castro 3b, bryant RF, Almora CF, Soler LF. Alcantarra keeps center warm in the meantime for almora then becomes super utility? SHwarbs and vogey are trade bait??
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#419 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:44 pm

It depends. Assuming Alcantara does what he projects to do Almora wouldn't unseat him and would be trade bait. The Cubs have too many prospects. Which is a VERY good problem to have. They can trade for pitching. They can have multiple backup plans in case a prospect doesn't make it. There have been rumblings of Russell and other prospects to the Rays for David Price. Having the number of high end prospects the Cubs have gives them a LOT of options to explore.
NW7
Pro Prospect

Post#420 » by NW7 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:50 am

Soler to AAA, Almora to AA. Soler is not terribly surprising (maybe a tiny bit sooner then anyone was expecting), but Almora is a bit of a shocker imo. Almora has adjusted pretty well the past two months or so after such a horrid start to this season. Kudos to both of these guys.

Return to Chicago Cubs