ImageImage

Official Tobias Harris watch thread (The End)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,298

Re: Official Tobias Harris watch thread (Bill Simmons AGAIN! 

Post#5001 » by Wooderson » Tue Nov 5, 2013 5:32 am

ReddWing wrote:334 pages. Who the hell did we give up---Michael Jordan? Magic Johnson? Larry Bird?

Where have you been for the last 25 years? This thread is less about a single trade and more about the two decade plus incompetence of the man who has made the Bucks the laughingstock of the entire league.
JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,161

Post#5002 » by JEIS » Tue Nov 5, 2013 6:04 am

ReddWing wrote:334 pages. Who the hell did we give up---Michael Jordan? Magic Johnson? Larry Bird?

I think a lot of the people who watched all the summer league games saw that Harris is a young, skilled, talented hard working player on a rookie contract. He added value to the team... Plus He could continue to get better and develop into a very good player. Same reasons why we like and wouldn't want to trade Giannis. It's also what Harris wasn't.. Not the swag twins ... Not gooden... Not an average 8 year vet who doesn't move the needle. It didn't help either that all season long we all knew the goal was 8th seed and that's why he was given up. Harris was someone you could root for as a person and a player. It enraged a lot of people because we are giving up on the future to be a below average basketball team get our ass kicked in the playoffs.
Wooderson
RealGM

Post#5003 » by Wooderson » Tue Nov 5, 2013 6:31 am

334 pages is the culmination of this fanbases frustration with the Senators infatuation to simply be "competitive".

If this trade had been made with a 50-win team that was already a top 4 seed, it's obviously viewed differently. Lets recap.

1) The team was already in line to the make the playoffs, and far away from moving up to the 6th seed or higher.
2) The Bucks already had a crazy high shooting volume backcourt
3) The Bucks already had a player with a very similar skillset in Dunleavy (this is compounded by #2, since Redick had to come off the bench, like Dunleavy)
4) The Bucks had an interim head coach, which makes fitting Redick into the equation even more difficult
5) Because of #1-4, Redick was doomed to fail here, making it very unlikely that he would re-sign

Yes, the trade in a vacuum is still awful, but all of the above factors make it historically bad. It made zero sense at the time, and looks even worse in retrospect.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,286

Post#5004 » by Finn » Tue Nov 5, 2013 3:46 pm

Check with SpursNBucks - he's on top of it.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#5005 » by tski1972 » Tue Nov 5, 2013 4:34 pm

maybe we could get an "Official - Official Tobias Harris Watch - Watch Thread" going.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,913

Post#5006 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Nov 5, 2013 5:15 pm

If anybody thinks this thead is simply about giving up Tobias Harris I don't know what to say.
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#5007 » by CanadaBucks » Tue Nov 5, 2013 5:38 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:If anybody thinks this thead is simply about giving up Tobias Harris I don't know what to say.

Ok I'll bite, what's the point of the thread?
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 723

Post#5008 » by averageposter » Tue Nov 5, 2013 5:51 pm

Showing how the past 20 years organizational philosophy fails by beating them over the head with one really glaring cut and dried example. The Harris trade really is the epitome of this organizations philosophy in a nice tidy package. No time to evaluate this young talent must trade him for 30 game rental of vet who absolutely will not move the needle at all, then lose him in the off season whilst grabbing 2 2nd rounders that we absolutely expect to be patted on the back for netting.

For a little extra hot sauce in the wound Harris looks good on next team and the Harris disinterested coaching staff is let go. Everybody gets some blame but the organizational philosophy. Making moves to improve bad or marginal teams for that next 30 game playoff push even if it worked are short sighted and dumb.
Bad Midget
Junior
And1: 12

Post#5009 » by Bad Midget » Tue Nov 5, 2013 6:14 pm

Tobias Harris not doing ****. What a surprise...... Not.

The trade sucked but the collective boner for this scrub should die out soon.
fansinceforever
Analyst
And1: 1,834

Post#5010 » by fansinceforever » Tue Nov 5, 2013 6:48 pm

you know he's hurt, right? you also know the guy we traded him for is not on our roster anymore and didn't make us any better when he was, correct?
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,057

Post#5011 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Nov 5, 2013 6:57 pm

Wooderson wrote:
Where have you been for the last 25 years? This thread is less about a single trade and more about the two decade plus incompetence of the man who has made the Bucks the laughingstock of the entire league.

And it can act as preventative medicine against the team making another stupid "win-now" trade this season.

Without this thread, there is no national scale embarrassment heaped upon the team by Bill Simmons.

We're doing our job here trying to hold this mess of an organization accountable, since no one else in town will.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
LedZepp007
General Manager
And1: 3,523

Post#5012 » by LedZepp007 » Tue Nov 5, 2013 7:16 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Wooderson wrote:

And it can act as preventative medicine against the team making another stupid "win-now" trade this season.

Without this thread, there is no national scale embarrassment heaped upon the team by Bill Simmons.

We're doing our job here trying to hold this mess of an organization accountable, since no one else in town will.

As much as I generally like this board, this statement is sheer delusion. Truth is, the opinions on here have virtually NO effect on the bucks organization. None.

Also, we are not representative of the bucks fan base.
The Bulls are the absolute worst.
Wooderson
RealGM

Post#5013 » by Wooderson » Tue Nov 5, 2013 7:22 pm

LedZepp007 wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:And it can act as preventative medicine against the team making another stupid "win-now" trade this season.

As much as I generally like this board, this statement is sheer delusion. Truth is, the opinions on here have virtually NO effect on the bucks organization. None.

Eh, that may be true, but it can't hurt. And if there's one thing we know about Kohl (besides the desire to be competitive), it's that he hates bad press. PP's great post in the Raps PG thread ties into this discussion.

paulpressey25 wrote:One Bucks constant is that Kohl (and the front office) always remembers his most recent big screw-up and then over-corrects to avoid it. I've studied this phenomenon for years. Draft the rough around the edges guy in Big Dog versus pretty boy Grant Hill. Then Hill excels so the following year he avoids bad boy Marbury for squeaky clean Ray Allen. Get shafted in the 2007 lotto drawing? I'm never going in the lotto again. Give George Karl the richest coaching contract and a piece of the team? Meh, after Karl let me down, no need for me to pay a coach big money, I'm going cheap, cheap, cheap with Porter, Stotts and Larry K.

I think that organization got burned so bad from Tobias, I don't see them dealing any of those young guys at all this season. Ersan is the guy on the block if anyone, and I don't see Kohl having the stones to deal him either.
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#5014 » by CanadaBucks » Tue Nov 5, 2013 8:16 pm

averageposter wrote:Showing how the past 20 years organizational philosophy fails by beating them over the head with one really glaring cut and dried example. The Harris trade really is the epitome of this organizations philosophy in a nice tidy package. No time to evaluate this young talent must trade him for 30 game rental of vet who absolutely will not move the needle at all, then lose him in the off season whilst grabbing 2 2nd rounders that we absolutely expect to be patted on the back for netting.

For a little extra hot sauce in the wound Harris looks good on next team and the Harris disinterested coaching staff is let go. Everybody gets some blame but the organizational philosophy. Making moves to improve bad or marginal teams for that next 30 game playoff push even if it worked are short sighted and dumb.

Showing who?
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,748

Post#5015 » by Treebeard » Tue Nov 5, 2013 8:24 pm

LedZepp007 wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
Wooderson wrote:

I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle. Some of the bigger hitters of the national media (Simmons, Lowe, etc) have picked on the growing dissatisfaction by a knowlegeable chunk of fans. It doesn't have to be the majority of the fans either. Also, there certainly appears to at least be some acknowledgement from the Bucks FO, that not all the fan base is happy with the 25 year status quo of mediocrity. Couple that with the pressure for a new arena, and any negatives become a problem. It's reactive, but maybe some of this has been a wakeup call.

*edit* To paraphrase the immortal words of Phil Robertson, with the new arena in mind, the Bucks want "happy, happy, happy...."
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#5016 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Nov 5, 2013 9:19 pm

LedZepp007 wrote:

Nowak begs to disagree.

JBucks
Analyst
And1: 393

Post#5017 » by JBucks » Tue Nov 5, 2013 9:22 pm

What season did bag night take place during? I want to know what Patterson's sign says.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#5018 » by Ill-yasova » Tue Nov 5, 2013 9:23 pm

LedZepp007 wrote:As much as I generally like this board, this statement is sheer delusion. Truth is, the opinions on here have virtually NO effect on the bucks organization. None.

Check the comments section on JS or on a Bucks post on Facebook and try to tell me that we aren't influencing anyone outside of this forum.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#5019 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Nov 5, 2013 10:43 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:
Check the comments section on JS or on a Bucks post on Facebook and try to tell me that we aren't influencing anyone outside of this forum.

Bucks front office would shut this site down if they could. Do we impact much of anything? No. Ultimately Kohl does what Kohl wants. Nonetheless I think a lot more people around town are agreeing with the sentiments reflected on this board.

It takes time to make the leap from loyal fan who wants the Bucks to win every game, supports every new player acquisition and is worried about the Bucks leaving town and doesn't want to offend Kohl to a fan who finally realizes the product the past decade has been garbage and someone should be held accountable.

tranjSAIC
Banned User
And1: 527

Post#5020 » by tranjSAIC » Wed Nov 6, 2013 3:31 am

Bad Midget wrote:Tobias Harris not doing ****. What a surprise...... Not.

The trade sucked but the collective boner for this scrub should die out soon.

I see how you only have ONE And1....

Return to Milwaukee Bucks