[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Week 10: Washington at Minnesota (Thu @ 8:25 pm)

Moderator: LyricalRico

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Week 10: Washington at Minnesota (Thu @ 8:25 pm) 

Post#1 » by LyricalRico » Wed Nov 6, 2013 6:02 pm

Image Image

WHO: Skins at Vikings
WHEN: November 7th, 8:25 pm
WHERE: Mall of America Field

Big Questions:

Will the short week help or hurt either team?
Can Washington finally put back-to-back wins together?
Who will step up and be this week's version of Darrell Young?

Discuss!
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: Week 10: Washington at Minnesota (Thu @ 8:25 pm) 

Post#2 » by LyricalRico » Thu Nov 7, 2013 3:48 pm

Good news for those without NFL Network (like me) - the game will be on the local Washington NBC affiliate!

:clap:
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#3 » by W. Unseld » Fri Nov 8, 2013 4:57 am

top 3 things to improve the team, here are mine:
1. Fire special teams coach
2. Let Orakpo walk if he wants big $$
3. Spend all draft picks on defense unless a can't miss tall WR is available

Honorable mention:
*New punter
*Lock Kyle Shannahan in a room with BMitch & Trevor until he understands the concept of rolling RG3 out & why it's important
WallTown02
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#4 » by WallTown02 » Fri Nov 8, 2013 8:55 pm

This team has enough talent to compete but we are getting killed by coaching.

The special teams have been a disaster this year. Mike says Sav is the best punter he's ever had since he can hit. Shouldn't his punting ability be the reason? He's dead last in the NFL in avg & net punts. Morgan returning punts and kicks is an embarrassment. Moss is no longer a significant piece of the offense. Why isn't he returning punts?

The defense has been a disaster since this regime took over. How Haslett still has his job is beyond me. They have been REALLY bad in 3 of the 4 seasons of this regime. We might not have the top players at each position. But Kerrigan, Orakpo, Cofield, Fletcher, Hall, etc should be enough to field a middle of the pack D. Mike's ego ruined the D. When he came here, we had an average D with a pathetic O. He fixed the O, but completely destroyed the D.

I have to give credit where its due. Mike has rebuilt the O. However, there are still issues. #1 issue is Kyle. His playcalling has been really bad at times and there's no way Mike will ever fire his son. The rumors of RG3 and the shanahans not seeing eye to eye on things hurts as well. The zone read system masked the O line issues last year. But now, when we're forced to pass, it's obvious they are below average overall. The RBs, Pierre, & Reed should all be staples of our O for a long-time, and I applaud Mike for finding them. Hank looks ok at times, but is inconsistent. He needs to step it up or we need an upgrade. And we need a WR that can stretch the field. It's probably time to move on from Robinson. Finally, Moss can't get separation anymore. Time to move on from him too. Why not give Nick Williams or Lance Lewis a shot if the WRs on the roster aren't getting it done.

Ok - rant ending soon.

2 years ago, I would've cursed Snyder if he fired Mike before the full 5 years. However, at this point, I think he needs to go. If the season doesn't change fast, then he wouldn't have earned an extension. And a lame duck coach could possibly derail next year if even the slightest issue arose. Finally, if Mike gets his 5th year, you know he's going to use all of our cap space on desperation signings to win now and save his job. That could potentially hurt us for years down the road.

Assuming we don't go on another run, I think it's time to change course. This would be the perfect off-season to do it with the large amount of free agents on the roster, and the large amount of cap space we'll have. It would be a relatively painless turnover, unlike the horrible situation Mike walked into.

Best options? I don't know. I've always liked Mike Zimmer. Hopefully he could fix the D and he has the presence to demand the respect of the team. Then mix in a young offensive mind to grow with RG3. This would probably be my top choice.

It also seems like college coaches have been a bit better at the transition over the past few years. Would Briles past with RG3 make him a fit or could that cause issues with the other players? What about Shaw from Stanford?

I don't know, but I know it's probably time to make a change. I know I don't want another retread coach. I'd rather get a coordinator or a college coach....probably a coordinator is my top preference. I know he screwed up with Zorn, but that was with Vinny in his ear.
kevin44
Senior
And1: 8

Post#5 » by kevin44 » Fri Nov 8, 2013 9:12 pm

I can't blame RG3 for this loss. When your playing a 1-7 team & still have a chance at winning your division I excepted a win. Eagles & 49ers next. At least you have the Giants twice.

Return to Washington Football Team