Moderator: bwgood77

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,892
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: O'Bannon Case Could Bring Down the NCAA 

Post#21 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:28 am

College creates that exposure because they all go there. I'm pretty sure players can't enter the D-League, but if all the top prospects chose the D-League first, you think college basketball would still be more popular? lololol.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#22 » by EddieJonesFan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:27 pm

If you don't think these players should be paid, fine, but would someone please give me an argument that justifies the NCAA having the right to sell these players' names and images? Because I have yet to hear a single one from the NCAA defenders.
Damon_3388
Sixth Man
And1: 1,056

Post#23 » by Damon_3388 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:50 pm

EddieJonesFan wrote:If you don't think these players should be paid, fine, but would someone please give me an argument that justifies the NCAA having the right to sell these players' names and images? Because I have yet to hear a single one from the NCAA defenders.

I'd like to hear specific examples of how their name gets "sold", particularly once the player has left college. I'd say the schools themselves benefit as much if not more than the NCAA does from this anyway.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#24 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Damon_3388 wrote:So it's not enough that they get their food, board and education paid for, and receive guaranteed national exposure to high-paying future employers, they want to be paid on top of that too? Come on...

Why should it be enough? They are drawing a ton of money, and your argument is that they're getting free education?

Aside from that, some of these players are not even getting all of these perks.
fluffernutter
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#25 » by fluffernutter » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:21 pm

It's pretty damming that the only people supporting the NCAA always fall back on the old 'but, but, but they are getting free board/education, isn't that enough?'

No. It's not enough. No other job in America works that way. No other profit-making venture.

Hey doctor. I'll let you stay in a dorm and get free food. You do surgeries like normal. What? Complaining? You get free room/board. I'll even let you take medical classes for free. What's wrong? Shaddup and work.

The NCAA is a multi-BILLION dollar industry, which has its primary workforce locked into a ridiculous situation where they can't get a free lunch (literally) without getting kicked out of the game. Without students, there is no NCAA. No games. No nothing. If the NCAA makes money, that money should be shared with the workforce. You don't get to throw them peanuts in the form of free rent/board (which for some big school might be comparatively little) and then say hey guys, it's fair, they are getting an education.

Nothing else the NCAA does seems to focus on their player's education; it's only in this one instance that education comes up, as a justification for not paying fair-market price. Or anywhere near fair-market price. And more than that, in this specific case, using a player's likeness AFTER they graduate on the cover of a video game and not allowing the player to make any profit from it at all.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... ettlement/

One of many absurd things the NCAA does.
Damon_3388
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by Damon_3388 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:33 pm

fluffernutter wrote:Hey doctor. I'll let you stay in a dorm and get free food. You do surgeries like normal. What? Complaining? You get free room/board. I'll even let you take medical classes for free. What's wrong? Shaddup and work.

Wouldn't a med student on an academic scholarship be in this exact situation (but rather learning about sugury than just "doing it")?
NickLidstrom
Junior
And1: 102

Post#27 » by NickLidstrom » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:40 am

Damon_3388 wrote:
fluffernutter wrote:Hey doctor. I'll let you stay in a dorm and get free food. You do surgeries like normal. What? Complaining? You get free room/board. I'll even let you take medical classes for free. What's wrong? Shaddup and work.

Wouldn't a med student on an academic scholarship be in this exact situation (but rather learning about sugury than just "doing it")?

Not even remotely similar. NCAA basketball players aren't just attending classes to learn about their craft, they're out there doing it. And the skills they demonstrate generate billions of dollars.

A better comparison would be to a residency following med school. Residents are still learning about medicine, but they're also practicing it. The difference is that residents get salaries. While residents' salaries might be well below market value for physicians, they're still compensated for working while they learn and gain experience. No hospital would tell a resident that they should be happy with just free "education" and "exposure."
Damon_3388
Sixth Man

Post#28 » by Damon_3388 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:13 am

NickLidstrom wrote:
Damon_3388 wrote:

Not even remotely similar. NCAA basketball players aren't just attending classes to learn about their craft, they're out there doing it. And the skills they demonstrate generate billions of dollars.

A better comparison would be to a residency following med school. Residents are still learning about medicine, but they're also practicing it. The difference is that residents get salaries. While residents' salaries might be well below market value for physicians, they're still compensated for working while they learn and gain experience. No hospital would tell a resident that they should be happy with just free "education" and "exposure."

Yeah but as much as we and the players like to think it is, the purpose of going to college isn't to play basketball. They're still educational institutions first and foremost, and sports are still extra-curricular activites. If basketball is considered to be what they're studying and the future profession, why have them take regular classes at all? Why not just have them study basketball the whole time?
NickLidstrom
Junior
And1: 102

Post#29 » by NickLidstrom » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:37 pm

Damon_3388 wrote:
NickLidstrom wrote:
Damon_3388 wrote:

Yeah but as much as we and the players like to think it is, the purpose of going to college isn't to play basketball. They're still educational institutions first and foremost, and sports are still extra-curricular activites. If basketball is considered to be what they're studying and the future profession, why have them take regular classes at all? Why not just have them study basketball the whole time?

They should have the option of studying to be pro players full-time. The players who are actual student-athletes don't deserve to and wouldn't be admitted to a program meant for athletes whose career goal is to go pro. Just like people who scored 10 on the ACT aren't admitted to engineering bachelor's program. But it's absurd to pretend that Andrew Wiggins is a student first and an athlete second. He's at his university to bring in huge amounts of money as what is essentially an unpaid semi-pro basketball player with no intention of graduating.

Return to NCAA Basketball