Jerami Grant

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Cusefan03
Ballboy
And1: 1

Jerami Grant 

Post#1 » by Cusefan03 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:13 pm

I might be a Syracuse homer but I really like this kids game and potential. He hasnt played much but has showed glimpses of his outstanding potential in limited minutes. Due to the James Southerland situation he played 29 minutes today and put up 13 points on 4-7 fg and 5-6 ft's. Hes a great athlete at 6' 9" with an impressive wingspan at around 7' 2". His jump shot seems shaky but has decent form and his 5-12 from three might be a fluke since coming into today he was only shooting 35% on ft's. He does most of his damage in the low post and on putbacks. Watch out for him in 2013-14 as a breakout and potential lottery pick.
dundundun
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Re: Jerami Grant 

Post#2 » by dundundun » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:07 am

Love his potential. I think he'll be a top 10 pick in the 2015 draft.
dundundun
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by dundundun » Tue Feb 5, 2013 10:05 pm

The more I see of Grant the more I'm leaning towards him going top 10 next year (2014 draft). Kid is a beast.

Question: I know he was a somewhat highly touted recruit, but why wasn't he a top 10-ish guy in his class. Even earlier in the season when he wasn't playing much it was obvious he was a stud in the making within the first few minutes of watching him.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#4 » by ManualRam » Tue Feb 5, 2013 10:34 pm

dundundun wrote:The more I see of Grant the more I'm leaning towards him going top 10 next year (2014 draft). Kid is a beast.

Question: I know he was a somewhat highly touted recruit, but why wasn't he a top 10-ish guy in his class. Even earlier in the season when he wasn't playing much it was obvious he was a stud in the making within the first few minutes of watching him.

he probably wasn't as highly recruited because of the school that he went to. dematha has produced a lot of good pros, but they're not a team where HS players put up gaudy stats. he only average something like 12.5 ppg his senior yr. they spread the wealth, share the ball, execute and are pretty much run like a college program.

also, jerami was a sub-200 lb 6'7 F with a tweener game. he's since grown an inch or 2 and put on about 15 lbs. i also think he benefited greatly from his team USA experience. he didn't put up great stats, but i thought it spoke volumes that billy donovan picked grant to be a starter on the wing over guys like sam dekker, rasheed sulaimon and rodney purvis. he's not just tools, the kid obviously knows how to play since he's received great coaching.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Cusefan03
Ballboy

Post#5 » by Cusefan03 » Tue Feb 5, 2013 10:37 pm

dundundun wrote:The more I see of Grant the more I'm leaning towards him going top 10 next year (2014 draft). Kid is a beast.

He wasn't very highly touted just because he was seen as a very raw kid with huge athleticism. I'm also pretty sure he grew at least an inch in the off-season before arriving here. He's also apparently worked hard on his jumper and you can definitely see its improvement just from his ft shooting. Grants one of those guys that just understands the game but also has elite athleticism which is very rare for someone his age. All thats keeping him from being a star next year and probable top 10 pick is 10 more pounds and an improved jumper. Not sure what position he plays in the NBA which is normally a concern with scouts. I guess he could maybe play PF but he needs to be a legit 6'9" and gain substantial weight.
dundundun
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by dundundun » Tue Feb 5, 2013 10:59 pm

Cusefan03 wrote:

He wasn't very highly touted just because he was seen as a very raw kid with huge athleticism. I'm also pretty sure he grew at least an inch in the off-season before arriving here. He's also apparently worked hard on his jumper and you can definitely see its improvement just from his ft shooting. Grants one of those guys that just understands the game but also has elite athleticism which is very rare for someone his age. All thats keeping him from being a star next year and probable top 10 pick is 10 more pounds and an improved jumper. Not sure what position he plays in the NBA which is normally a concern with scouts. I guess he could maybe play PF but he needs to be a legit 6'9" and gain substantial weight.

I don't see his nba position being a problem at all. Seems like a prototype nba sf to me, assuming his jumper comes along (pretty confident it will) and he improves his handle a bit (he seems like he has decent ball skills; not a wes johnson type [to compare him to another cuse forward] who can't dribble to save his life).
Cusefan03
Ballboy

Post#7 » by Cusefan03 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:48 pm

Anyone see Grant the last couple of games in Maui? Played amazing and showed a good midrange jumper along with his great athleticism. Thought he definitely helped his stock. he even went 12-13 from the line.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#8 » by dorkestra » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:58 pm

I think he's played himself into the 2014 1st round if he wanted to go for it, but all signs point toward him going next year instead where he can be a lottery pick.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#9 » by 165bows » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:03 pm

Cusefan03 wrote:Anyone see Grant the last couple of games in Maui? Played amazing and showed a good midrange jumper along with his great athleticism. Thought he definitely helped his stock. he even went 12-13 from the line.

Didn't get to see it but did see he's getting some media attention:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/405924300378472448[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/405929296759242752[/tweet]
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#10 » by ManualRam » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:06 pm

his off the dribble game looks much improved. he's extremely rangy and has nice spin moves. gets great extension around the rim as well. he looks more confident in his offensive game and is playing more aggressively.
his stroke looks good but obviously he needs to expand his range.

he could maybe have the same dilemma that a kid like dekker has. he's good enough to declare and be drafted in the first, but there are just way too many SFs.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
lakeshow22
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#11 » by lakeshow22 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:02 pm

ManualRam wrote:his off the dribble game looks much improved. he's extremely rangy and has nice spin moves. gets great extension around the rim as well. he looks more confident in his offensive game and is playing more aggressively.

he could maybe have the same dilemma that a kid like dekker has. he's good enough to declare and be drafted in the first, but there are just way too many SFs.

Is he similar to Mo Harkless? Does grant have more potential?
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#12 » by machu46 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:27 pm

I'm a Syracuse fan as well, but I personally see him more as a face up PF at the next level if he bulks up a bit. He's somewhere around 6'9" and has a really nice first step and athleticism. Good rebounder too. I think he could be a starter in the NBA someday.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
dundundun
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by dundundun » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:54 am

ManualRam wrote:his off the dribble game looks much improved. he's extremely rangy and has nice spin moves. gets great extension around the rim as well. he looks more confident in his offensive game and is playing more aggressively.

Have to disagree with this. He's been shooting it well, but damn does he have some ugly form on his jumper.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#14 » by ManualRam » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:56 am

lakeshow22 wrote:

Is he similar to Mo Harkless? Does grant have more potential?

that's not a bad comparison. i think harkless has a stronger build, while grant is longer and more wirey. we'll see how much his ball skills have improved, but the early indications are good. he looked really comfortable taking defenders off the bounce in recent games.

more potential? idk, i'd say similar at this moment. i think both project to be defensive leaning athletic wings who's offensive games can go any number of directions.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
dundundun
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by dundundun » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:58 am

machu46 wrote:I'm a Syracuse fan as well, but I personally see him more as a face up PF at the next level if he bulks up a bit. He's somewhere around 6'9" and has a really nice first step and athleticism. Good rebounder too. I think he could be a starter in the NBA someday.

As I see more of him, I would tend to agree with this. I have no idea how tall he actually is but he looks BIG next to a guy like CJ Fair. I'd guess he's a legit 6'9'', and also has very long arms it seems. He's kind of wiry now but looks to have the type of frame that will fill out nicely.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#16 » by ManualRam » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:27 am

dundundun wrote:

Have to disagree with this. He's been shooting it well, but damn does he have some ugly form on his jumper.

he gets good elevation, straight up, straight down, good rotation and has a high release. his shot set up is a bit slow, but i don't see anything bad about it.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo

Return to NBA Draft