Zach LaVine

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

lakeshow22
Sophomore
And1: 55

Zach LaVine 

Post#1 » by lakeshow22 » Tue Dec 3, 2013 12:51 am

What's everyone thoughts on Zach laVine? can he be a lottery pick this year? word from UCLA is he is the most athletic player to ever suit up for the bruins, which is quite shocking since Russell Westbrook played there. How good is he? What's his potential and upside?
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Re: Zach LaVine 

Post#2 » by Talent Chaser » Tue Dec 3, 2013 1:06 am

If his 3 point shooting is legit there is no reason he shouldn't be the 6th pick in the 2014 draft.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#3 » by doordoor123 » Tue Dec 3, 2013 3:33 am

lakeshow22 wrote:What's everyone thoughts on Zach laVine? can he be a lottery pick this year? word from UCLA is he is the most athletic player to ever suit up for the bruins, which is quite shocking since Russell Westbrook played there. How good is he? What's his potential and upside?

He has great potential. Already ready for the NBA as an elite shooter (or so it seems). It still might be too early to judge. He also has great long arms even though he's only 6'5. He could develop into a great defender, but needs help with that. I actually think he could get that in the NBA, but he definitely needs another year to develop his game. He can only really shoot, but he's quick and has great length. In the NBA or not, he's going to do well. He fits his role perfectly and can definitely help out an NBA team that needs a sharp-shooter. He's a bit raw beyond that, but again, he has all the tools he needs.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#4 » by ManualRam » Tue Dec 3, 2013 7:58 am

yes he can be a lotto pick this yr if he declared.
he's already shown that he can get his shot off in a number of ways, more ways than mclemore showed last yr. plus he was a former point who grew into a sg, so he can put the ball on the deck (i see him as strictly a sg now though).
take mclemore's ceiling and add some to it. that's what i think lavine's potential is.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#5 » by miltk » Tue Dec 3, 2013 10:33 am

lottery is mighty high for THIS year. no he is not more athletic than westy. there are very few really athletic players that pass through ucla so some people are getting carried away. he should not pass up a lottery but i don't see it. and he could be a TOP5 next year!

he's lanky and is all arms and legs. he grew 4" from 6/1 to 6/5 in his senior year. he's very smooth and glib without being fancy - like everything flows to and from him. westy is raw athleticism...this kid is refined athleticism. his shot is awkward, as in playground awkward where he kicks his shooting elbow out to the side, and he has a flicking release like ray allen but not as smooth. but he cans everything and his midrange is deadly. he has no urge to show off and, he plays within himself. i don't think i've seen him take a bad shot, and maybe that's why he shooting 64% and 57% :D :D :D mind you, ucla has been playing cupcakes.

he shoots from anywhere or dunks, but i've never seen him take his man to the basket - NOT ONCE, nor has he tried. be that as it may, he looks like a kid on the floor playing with men. my bias is showing but i think we can keep him because 1...he hasn't been "groomed" as a lottery like a kevin love or derrick rose or wiggins or parker. and 2...i think ucla can persuade him to stay by naming two names,,,shabazz muhammad and marcus smart

ucla will be playing duke on december 19th and mizzou this weekend, both on tv.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#6 » by No-Man » Tue Dec 3, 2013 11:31 am

I won't take more than 6 players ahead of him in this year draft.

He's 7th right now in my big board, and climbing.

He's a better prospect than Gary Harris for example.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,955

Post#7 » by MrBigShot » Tue Dec 3, 2013 5:53 pm

I honestly believe this guy is right up there with Wiggins in terms of athleticism. His handle is pretty solid. Very quick, long arms. He's 7th for me as well, behind only Wiggins/Parker/Exum/Randle/Embiid/Smart. The way he moves reminds me of someone, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#8 » by EricAnderson » Tue Dec 3, 2013 9:28 pm

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider 6m
UCLA's Zach LaVine jumped into the lottery. Few scouts calling him “Russell Westbrook w/ a jumper.” http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft201 ... -nba-draft … (insider)

wow
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#9 » by SlowPaced » Tue Dec 3, 2013 9:44 pm

Very underrated guy. Keeping him low in my rankings because he hasn't been under the spotlight but he's definitely up there with anyone in the class.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#10 » by ManualRam » Tue Dec 3, 2013 9:59 pm

westbrook? that is such a lazy comparison.
athletic? ucla? derp, he's like westbrook.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
miltk
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by miltk » Wed Dec 4, 2013 12:31 am

EricAnderson wrote:Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider 6m
UCLA's Zach LaVine jumped into the lottery. Few scouts calling him “Russell Westbrook w/ a jumper.” http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft201 ... -nba-draft … (insider)

wow

chad ford is an idiot. westy makes his living driving to the rim. zach doesn't. in fact, i haven't seen zach take his man to the rim once. even curry or allen drives to the basket. right now, zach is more like an athletic redick. if he doesn't learn to drive he'll be easily guardable.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#12 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 4, 2013 1:40 am

miltk wrote:

wow

chad ford is an idiot. westy makes his living driving to the rim. zach doesn't. in fact, i haven't seen zach take his man to the rim once. even curry or allen drives to the basket. right now, zach is more like an athletic redick. if he doesn't learn to drive he'll be easily guardable.

Watching highlights of him, seeing his stats, and reading this thread - wow, this kid is revelation. Draftexpress still has him as just the 53rd best freshman prospect in the nation. Was Steph Curry this good a player at the same age?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#13 » by bigboi » Wed Dec 4, 2013 1:58 am

He has potential. I think he would look perfect next to Derrick Rose. He seems like the perfect off the ball scorer. He's more smooth than athletic imo, while he does have "bounce", I would say his athleticism is more like KD's. Above average, but not freakish.
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by Talent Chaser » Wed Dec 4, 2013 2:07 am

bigboi wrote:He has potential. I think he would look perfect next to Derrick Rose. He seems like the perfect off the ball scorer. He's more smooth than athletic imo, while he does have "bounce", I would say his athleticism is more like KD's. Above average, but not freakish.

He's most certainly a freakishly explosive athlete. If KD possessed his athleticism he would be absolutely unstoppable.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#15 » by bigboi » Wed Dec 4, 2013 2:45 am

Talent Chaser wrote:
bigboi wrote:He has potential. I think he would look perfect next to Derrick Rose. He seems like the perfect off the ball scorer. He's more smooth than athletic imo, while he does have "bounce", I would say his athleticism is more like KD's. Above average, but not freakish.

He's most certainly a freakishly explosive athlete. If KD possessed his athleticism he would be absolutely unstoppable.

Lavine and KD look around the same athleticism to me. KD's an above average NBA athlete, he wouldn't be unstoppable with a little bit more athleticism, now if he added some strength then we could talk about unstoppable. But back on topic, nothing to me after watching Lavine suggests that he has Westbrook/Rose type athleticism. I see an incredibly long player, who is an above average athlete. That's still a dangerous playe
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by Talent Chaser » Wed Dec 4, 2013 3:04 am

bigboi wrote:
Talent Chaser wrote:

Lavine and KD look around the same athleticism to me. KD's an above average NBA athlete, he wouldn't be unstoppable with a little bit more athleticism, now if he added some strength then we could talk about unstoppable. But back on topic, nothing to me after watching Lavine suggests that he has Westbrook/Rose type athleticism. I see an incredibly long player, who is an above average athlete. That's still a dangerous playe

A simple YouTube search of his name would suggest otherwise.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#17 » by bwgood77 » Wed Dec 4, 2013 4:06 am

nbadraft.net has him projected as #1 pick in 2015 http://nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#18 » by ManualRam » Wed Dec 4, 2013 4:12 am

thats just silly for a number of reasons. he's getting buzz now and they're riding the wave. i'm sure they'll back off sooner rather than later. maybe they're just trying to find reasons for him not to declare this yr. if he can go lotto this yr, which i think he''s perfectly capable of doing, then he should go.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#19 » by EricAnderson » Wed Dec 4, 2013 6:12 am

miltk wrote:

wow

Would Ben Mclemore be an accurate comparison? great athlete who can shoot
miltk
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by miltk » Wed Dec 4, 2013 9:17 am

EricAnderson wrote:
miltk wrote:

wow

Would Ben Mclemore be an accurate comparison? great athlete who can shoot

i never saw much of mcL at kansas :) but zl's shooting is unconscious. i'm think zach is a great shooter with athleticism, not the other way around.

Return to NBA Draft