[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

UPDATED: Official Mike Shanahan Firing Watch

Moderator: LyricalRico

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

UPDATED: Official Mike Shanahan Firing Watch 

Post#1 » by LyricalRico » Sun Dec 8, 2013 5:09 pm

As speculation mounts about Mike Shanahan's future in Washington, details have emerged about the coach's dissatisfaction with the relationship between owner Dan Snyder and quarterback Robert Griffin III.

Disillusioned with the way Snyder was running the organization, Shanahan cleaned out his office in advance of January's wild-card playoff game against the Seattle Seahawks and expected to leave the team whenever the season ended, according to a source who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The source said Shanahan had grown tired of the way Snyder empowered Griffin and openly esteemed him above all other players. Shanahan didn't blame Griffin but did blame Snyder for creating an atmosphere that Shanahan did not believe was conducive to winning. Shanahan privately told people close to him that he felt Snyder's behavior with regard to Griffin was a "complete farce."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10101 ... 012-season

:o

Wow, was not expecting that to come out. Yet another twist in this dismal season, and after this one there's no way they can afford not to make a (yet another) change at coach.

Oh well, on the bright side at least this gives RG3 and his dad another chance to fire back and make local sports talk radio interesting for another week.

:nonono:
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Re: BREAKING: Shanahan wanted to leave after last season! 

Post#2 » by W. Unseld » Mon Dec 9, 2013 4:52 am

The press conference pretty much confirmed that story. I can't believe Snyder is still interfering. I've been hearing about how he's going to bring in "football guys" to fix this since before Schottenheimer.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#3 » by LyricalRico » Mon Dec 9, 2013 5:15 pm

W. Unseld wrote:The press conference pretty much confirmed that story. I can't believe Snyder is still interfering. I've been hearing about how he's going to bring in "football guys" to fix this since before Schottenheimer.

There was a great comment on one of the Post articles on this subject, that was basically: "If only Jack Kent Cook had simply left the team to his son." Can't say the team would have been guaranteed to win Super Bowls, but I don't think he would have meddled. Very interesting "what if" IMO.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#4 » by verbal8 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 9:31 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
W. Unseld wrote:The press conference pretty much confirmed that story. I can't believe Snyder is still interfering. I've been hearing about how he's going to bring in "football guys" to fix this since before Schottenheimer.

There was a great comment on one of the Post articles on this subject, that was basically: "If only Jack Kent Cook had simply left the team to his son." Can't say the team would have been guaranteed to win Super Bowls, but I don't think he would have meddled. Very interesting "what if" IMO.

What a mess.

Funny how most issues with the Skins end up going back to the ownership. It seems like no matter who the GM/Coach is it won't really matter. It seems like Gibbs was the only football guy who was able to actually run the team.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#5 » by LyricalRico » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:33 am

Shanahan now potentially benching RG3:

Asked what had led to the sudden change of thought, Shanahan said, “It was just what I said. We had 24 sacks in the last five games. That’s a lot. You go against a team that’s had two sacks in the last five games and they get six in a game, and you’re talking about his health. I want to make sure he’s healthy. I think that’s the most important thing going into the offseason that he has his first full offseason of being healthy, and if something did happen to him, I think it would set our franchise back. That doesn’t say I’m going that way. I’ll think about it here over the next 48 hours and make a decision on Wednesday.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... iffin-iii/

Not saying I disagree with the decision (Robert is getting killed out there), but where was this concern last year when Griffin was literally playing on one leg against Seattle? Nah, I don't think this is about health. Shanahan knows he's going to be gone at this point, and benching Snyder's favorite player is the only thing he can do to stick it to the owner before he gets fired. Weak.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#6 » by LyricalRico » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:48 pm

Boswell give this classic reaction:

At first, you want to laugh, in self-defense, perhaps: a weasel, a skunk and a peacock come into a bar . . . oh, sorry, that’s just Mike, Dan and Robert.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/is ... ory_1.html

BOOM!
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#7 » by LyricalRico » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:42 pm

Looking more and more like Cousins will start:

The game plan for Sunday indicates that the Redskins appear to be moving forward with Kirk Cousins at quarterback, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday, according to two people who have seen the plan.

There has been no official announcement, but people close to starter Robert Griffin III believe he will have a chance to make his case to remain the starter, Rapoport said. Fox Sports first reported the news.

The situation is fluid and RGIII hasn't been informed of any change, but the game plan for this week reflects that Cousins would get the start.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... n-redskins
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Re: UPDATED: Official Mike Shanahan Firing Watch 

Post#8 » by LyricalRico » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:08 pm

There's reason to believe that Kyle Shanahan is what is driving Mike Shanahan to want out as head coach of the Washington Redskins, a couple of strong sources within the organization told News4 Sports.

Kyle Shanahan's role in the organization as offensive coordinator may be putting the head coach in a position where he has to choose between his son and his job.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sport ... 87111.html

So maybe the beef is really between RG3 and Kyle, and Danny Boy wants Shanny to fire his son. Maybe that's what set all this off and caused Shanny to get upset enough to leak his own "I wanted to quit" story.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#9 » by pancakes3 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:26 pm

If my son was terrible at his job, I'd fire him too.
Bullets -> Wizards
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#10 » by LyricalRico » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:49 pm

Wow!!! Not only with RG3 be benched, but he will be completely inactive!!!

Kirk Cousins will replace Robert Griffin III at quarterback Sunday when the Washington Redskins face the Atlanta Falcons, a high-ranking team official confirmed to ESPN.com.

NFL Network, which earlier reported the move, said later Wednesday that Redskins players have been told Griffin will be inactive for Sunday's game and that veteran Rex Grossman would be Cousins' backup.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10118 ... riffin-iii

:o

Man, Shanny is REALLY trying to get fired. Question is does he ever get another job, even a front office spot, after these antics? Sure, everyone knows that things are crazy at Redskins Park, but he's being completely transparent with his sabotage. He's trying to sandbag RG3 and lose by 30 points, all to anger the owner into paying him his $7M to go away.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#11 » by LyricalRico » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:16 pm

Now Kyle abandoning his father's sinking ship...

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport said Sunday on NFL Network's "NFL GameDay Morning" that the Washington Redskins offensive coordinator has decided he can no longer work for Mike Shanahan and plans to set out on his own path next year.

According to Rapoport, the younger Shanahan wants to escape the "stigma" that has come with working on his father's coaching staff. Shanahan spent two seasons as offensive coordinator of the Houston Texans before joining the Redskins in 2010. He'll likely attempt to make another lateral move this offseason.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ngside-dad

Man, this thing just gets better and better.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#12 » by craig01 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:10 pm

Since Daniel Snyder bought his real world fantasy team, there has been mostly one single consistency.

Chaos.

Fire the jerk-owner.....who now has become the king of mediocrity.

What a crime. Maybe Congress could actually do something useful and create a law to force him out. Lol
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,775

Post#13 » by Rafael122 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:02 pm

Officially fired.

Honestly, my top choice would be Jay Gruden, and he brings in Gregg Williams as the defensive coordinator.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#14 » by LyricalRico » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:19 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Honestly, my top choice would be Jay Gruden, and he brings in Gregg Williams as the defensive coordinator.

A caller to the Junkies this morning actually suggested Gregg Williams for head coach. I think that's crazy, but I wouldn't be against him as a coordinator. Especially since they're in the position where they have to completely rebuild the defense and he can put guys in that will work with the same system that was top 5 a few years ago.

My preference actually would be to hire a defensive guy as the head coach, and then pluck the OC from either San Fran or Seattle to work with Griffin. We can make him assistant head coach or something so it's not a lateral move.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#15 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:47 am

I don't know why I keep expecting things to be different. I'm so pissed right now.

George Frickin Allen as GM!?

I was convinced that finally, Snyder would see the light and install a real gm...

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

BOYCOTT the pigSkins!
In Rizzo we trust
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#16 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:58 pm

I think it's time to stop going the recycling route and get new blood. Whether he's an offensive coach or a defensive coach doesn't matter much - as long as he's good and hungry. Jay Gruden comes to mind - he's a winner - 4 time Arena Football champion - twice as QB and twice as head coach. Now the Bengals offensive coordinator. Not a kid at 46 - but not a jaded old guy who's past his prime. Has seemingly lived and breathed football his entire life, paid his dues and thensome, and is ready for prime time.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#17 » by LyricalRico » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:36 pm

Ruzious wrote:I think it's time to stop going the recycling route and get new blood. Whether he's an offensive coach or a defensive coach doesn't matter much - as long as he's good and hungry.

A guy called into 980 today and essentially said the same thing. He mentioned that coaches that win Super Bowls and then move on to other teams never win championships at the later stop. I think only Parcells and Holmgren even got to Super Bowls with their second team.

And even here it seemed Shanahan was more interested in complete control and doing things his way than actually winning games. One can only wonder how already having 2 SBs in his resume impacted that. But I think you're right - hunger matters.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#18 » by craig01 » Sun Jan 5, 2014 10:07 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Officially fired.

Honestly, my top choice would be Jay Gruden, and he brings in Gregg Williams as the defensive coordinator.

I would really like to see the redskins go after Gruden too.

He's a terrific communicator, hands-on, and was wildly successful in the arena league as both a player and HC.

In some ways he reminds me of Joe Gibbs in how well he relates to players.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,865

Post#19 » by Wizardspride » Mon Jan 6, 2014 3:23 am

https://twitter.com/john_keim

John Keim ‏@john_keim

Wooten said the Redskins were still trying to arrange an interview with Vanderbilt coach James Franklin (he will be at NC game Monday)
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#20 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 9, 2014 6:52 pm

Ruzious wrote:I think it's time to stop going the recycling route and get new blood. Whether he's an offensive coach or a defensive coach doesn't matter much - as long as he's good and hungry. Jay Gruden comes to mind - he's a winner - 4 time Arena Football champion - twice as QB and twice as head coach. Now the Bengals offensive coordinator. Not a kid at 46 - but not a jaded old guy who's past his prime. Has seemingly lived and breathed football his entire life, paid his dues and thensome, and is ready for prime time.

Reports are that Jay Gruden is the choice.

Ruzstrudumbass strikes again!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Football Team