Re: NEW HEAD COACH 

Post#21 » by ajaX82 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:38 pm

And it is official. Happy days
LoboGuerrero
Pro Prospect
And1: 54

Post#22 » by LoboGuerrero » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:43 pm

I've been so ready for this to happen. Glad it's official.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#23 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:01 am

Schwartz took us out of the crapper, but just lacked the maturity to take us to next level. I firmly believe that a team takes on the personality of its coach. I honestly was fine for retaining one more year, however it still pisses me off , its a good day for the lions. now lets not be SOL and f* up this coaching selection.

I'm not thrilled about any college coach , coaching our team. IF that's the direction we are going in then Kelly would be my first choice. Every where that coach has gone, he has won. Gruden or cowher is what this team needs, and the attitude that this city needs. I hope we at least consider them

i'm glad to hear our oc and dc's are out
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,160

Post#24 » by ElectricMayhem » Thu Jan 2, 2014 11:54 pm

Yeah, I definitely harbor no ill will toward Schwartz. I believe his passion and energy (along with his FA recruiting) were exactly what we needed after being 0-16. He did a great job of turning us around, but as others have said, the Lions repeat the same mistakes year after year. He just doesn't have the ability to teach discipline or make smart decisions himself when the heat is on. He's a decent coach and would probably be a good coach for a team with good veterans.

As for coaches, I'm intrigued by:
Either Gruden
Cowher
Kelly
Shaw

I hear the Lions have interest in Caldwell? I'm not too excited about that. He's been both 14-2 and 2-14...I'm not sure what he'll be able to do without his co-coach, Peyton Manning.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#25 » by Sheeeeed » Sun Jan 5, 2014 8:38 pm

According to Adam Schefter, the Lions job is Whisenhunt's to lose.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#26 » by ajaX82 » Sun Jan 5, 2014 8:57 pm

Sheeeeed wrote:According to Adam Schefter, the Lions job is Whisenhunt's to lose.

I'll be shocked if it isn't him.

He's already been a HC. He's taken a less-than franchise to the SB. He's an offensive mind and has resurrected Phillip Rivers career. He's got ties to Mayhew.

I'm glad that we are reported to be interested in both Cincy coordinators as well; any of the three is good in my book
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#27 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun Jan 5, 2014 10:22 pm

ya looking at the cluster f* of crap out there. KW is definitely the most appealing in terms of need, experience and what the FO has said we are looking for
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by ajaX82 » Sun Jan 5, 2014 11:39 pm

To me the more interesting thing is who he brings in as his coordinators if he comes. What kind of D did he run in 'Zona?
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#29 » by Sheeeeed » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:43 am

ajaX82 wrote:To me the more interesting thing is who he brings in as his coordinators if he comes. What kind of D did he run in 'Zona?

3-4 . The guys he might be looking as the D-coordinators appear to be 3-4 guys too. The problem is this team isn't really well equipped to run a 3-4.

Another interesting tidbit from La Canfora is that Whisenhunt may have three coaches in mind as candidates to be his defensive coordinator: Ravens secondary coach Teryl Austin, Pittsburgh Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler and former Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast. Austin, interestingly, is believed to be Caldwell's choice for defensive coordinator, and Pendergast was with Whisenhunt in the early years of his tenure in Arizona.

Who knows, maybe Ray Horton could be the one who runs the D if he doesn't get a head coaching job.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#30 » by Icness » Mon Jan 6, 2014 4:14 am

Here's what I know:
--The interview with Jim Caldwell went better than expected. He was very prepared, had a detailed plan of how to handle Stafford and how to modify the offense to help him. Stafford himself was there and liked it, got that directly from someone who would know. The Lions knew he would be good but they were taken aback by it. That's the same way Mike Tomlin got hired in Pittsburgh over one Ken Whisenhunt back in the day.

--Whiz will get interviewed either Monday or Tuesday, in San Diego. They cannot hire him until the Chargers lose. He has two major things in his favor: he's got an offensive staff (Russ Grimm, Freddie Kitchens, Mike Miller) ready to move right in, and he took the Arizona friggin Cardinals to the Super Bowl. The latter is something that greatly intrigues Bill Ford Jr.

--There is a fighting chance the Lions keep RB coach Curtis Modkins and OL coach Jeremiah Washburn. Modkins was on Whiz's staff in Arizona and his work with Joique Bell and Theo Riddick was impressive. The OL was a lot better than anyone--including Martin Mayhew--expected and the players all love Washburn.

Here's what I think
--I would anticipate Whiz being the man, but if the Chargers win next week it really complicates things. They want this done as fast as possible. Shrine Game week starts on the 13th and they want a lot of the staff under contract and in St. Pete that week. That's a very real issue for the Fords.

--There is no way in hell the Lions would pay for Bob Stoops' buyout from Oklahoma. Detroit very nearly kept Schwartz because old man Ford didn't want to lose $12M. Stoops' buyout is almost double that. No chance. None. The Browns on the other hand...

--I cannot confirm it but I strongly suspect the Lions either approached Tony Dungy about taking the job or are quietly paying him as an advisor in the search.

--Jay Gruden ruined his candidacy with the ugly Cincy playoff game. The Fords, esp. Bill Jr., are football fans and pay close attention to the league. They cannot look at some of the ponderous play calls and the inability to get Andy Dalton to improve at all and think he's the right guy to fix Stafford and the offense. Mayhew played the game. People like to hate on him but he's one of the smartest football minds I've met. He knows.

--One beat writer told me some players were relieved that Tampa Bay hired Lovie Smith. He's a really likable guy but they played his Bears enough to know he's a limited coaching talent. Bears players have said the same things off the record too. It's weird to me that nobody wants to say a negative word about him even though they don't think he's a great coach. Same with Gary Kubiak. Weird.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#31 » by Piston Pete » Mon Jan 6, 2014 4:39 am

I like the idea of Caldwell......but how much of his success has been directly tied to Peyton Manning and his ability vs him actually being a good coach?

Sounds like its 70-Whisenhunt / 30-Caldwell ATM
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#32 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 10:24 pm

We requested interviews with KW and Jay Gruden, i'd rather have KW, but Gruden would be a nice consolation prize
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jan 7, 2014 1:11 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:We requested interviews with KW and Jay Gruden, i'd rather have KW, but Gruden would be a nice consolation prize

Both could do wonders with Matt Stafford
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#34 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Jan 7, 2014 1:59 am

ajaX82 wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:We requested interviews with KW and Jay Gruden, i'd rather have KW, but Gruden would be a nice consolation prize

Both could do wonders with Matt Stafford

Caldwell as part of his presentation to the Lions FO, watched all of Matthew Staffords throws for 2013 and broke down what was wrong and the drills and how he's going to fix matthew. i'd much rather have KW or Gruden than Caldwell who I don't think would be much of a upgrade
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#35 » by Icness » Tue Jan 7, 2014 3:19 pm

Former Titans coach Mike Munchak interviewing on Friday, per Dave Birkett & others.

He's a good coach but I'm not sure I want another ex-Titan running the show. And he wants to bring his staff from TEN, the same staff that got him canned.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jan 7, 2014 6:03 pm

Icness wrote:Former Titans coach Mike Munchak interviewing on Friday, per Dave Birkett & others.

He's a good coach but I'm not sure I want another ex-Titan running the show. And he wants to bring his staff from TEN, the same staff that got him canned.

Yeah...not interested
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#37 » by Piston Pete » Wed Jan 8, 2014 3:16 pm

I get the feeling that the Lions are in no rush to make a move.....which is good. But add in the fact that Whisenhunt isn't officially available yet, and I think that adds fuel to the "Whisenhunt is our #1 option" fire.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#38 » by Piston Pete » Wed Jan 8, 2014 3:31 pm

Iceness,

Have we even interviewed Whisenhunt yet? If so, any word on how it went?

I guess we interviewed Kubiak yesterday....I wonder how that one went. I figure he'd be tempting for Mayhew.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#39 » by Icness » Thu Jan 9, 2014 2:15 pm

Lions interviewing Whiz today in SD.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#40 » by Piston Pete » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:53 pm