Rodney Hoods Potential

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

lakeshow22
Sophomore
And1: 55

Rodney Hoods Potential 

Post#1 » by lakeshow22 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 10:28 pm

What's Rodney Hoods Potential and upside? How good is he and how good can he be? Comparison? I've heard Danny Granger. How High can he be picked? What's his role at the next level?
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Re: Rodney Hoods Potential 

Post#2 » by noobcake » Mon Jan 6, 2014 11:10 pm

3 and D. Same body type as Tayshaun Prince. Think he is a high floor, low ceiling kind of player. Going to keep Duke's tradition of producing solid NBA 3's alive: Hill, Laettner, Dunleavy, Battier, Deng, Singler.

Ceiling - Tayshaun Prince mixed with a bit of Danny Granger offense. A really good second option, all-star.
Average - John Salmons
Floor - Trevor Ariza
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#3 » by No-Man » Mon Jan 6, 2014 11:28 pm

Calbert Cheaney
He is nothing like John Salmons or Ariza lol, neither Prince.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#4 » by EricAnderson » Tue Jan 7, 2014 12:24 am

Poor mans Jalen Rose
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#5 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 7, 2014 4:51 am

noobcake wrote:3 and D. Same body type as Tayshaun Prince. Think he is a high floor, low ceiling kind of player. Going to keep Duke's tradition of producing solid NBA 3's alive: Hill, Laettner, Dunleavy, Battier, Deng, Singler.

Ceiling - Tayshaun Prince mixed with a bit of Danny Granger offense. A really good second option, all-star.
Average - John Salmons
Floor - Trevor Ariza

Those are kind of strange comps since Ariza's easily the best athlete of the bunch and the best player at this stage of their careers. The biggest problem with Hood is he's not a great athlete. I'm not sure how much that's going to limit him in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#6 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Jan 7, 2014 5:05 am

I thought Hood looked pretty athletic the few times I saw him, not as much as I had heard about him in the past.

He'll be a good 3 and D guy for sure.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#7 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 7, 2014 12:42 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:I thought Hood looked pretty athletic the few times I saw him, not as much as I had heard about him in the past.

He'll be a good 3 and D guy for sure.

He runs the court well, but he's clearly not an explosive athlete - has an ordinary first step, doesn't have much of a vertical, and doesn't look particularly strong. I'll agree that he fits as a 3 and D guy in the NBA - though the report that his wingspan is only 6'8 worries me - as does his lack of steals and blocks. He looks longer than that.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#8 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jan 7, 2014 3:05 pm

It's hard to tell since he's the second option on the team. That alone could be giving him much more opportunities offensively. It'll be interesting to see how workouts go predraft. None of the other team's top defenders are defending him because they're guarding Jabari Parker. His floor is probably something like Earl Clark. Not sure how high his ceiling is.
dukelane22
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#9 » by dukelane22 » Tue Jan 7, 2014 6:50 pm

Hood at 6'8 projects as a 'SHOOTING GUARD' at the next level.

He is a strong driver, a good finisher at the rim, can shoot it with great efficiency from deep, has a great mid-range game and most importantly can create his own shot. Couple that with strong character and a great feel for the game and you have yourself a stud. He has room to improve on the defensive end but his mobility and body type should allow him to guard at least three positions in the league.

These attributes make him distinctly different from just about every player comparison listed above. I would say Jalen Rose but he's more athletic and has a better stroke. Hood is a projected lottery pick who will end up being a steal if he's passed up by 7 or 8 teams in this years draft.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,517

Post#10 » by 165bows » Tue Jan 7, 2014 7:54 pm

doordoor123 wrote:It's hard to tell since he's the second option on the team. That alone could be giving him much more opportunities offensively. It'll be interesting to see how workouts go predraft. None of the other team's top defenders are defending him because they're guarding Jabari Parker. His floor is probably something like Earl Clark. Not sure how high his ceiling is.

I had that same question about him offensively. How much is his production inflated by getting the other team's lesser wing defender on him? He looks good when I've seen him, and his overall production has been great, but does it need to be discounted and to what degree is what I'd like to know.
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#11 » by Talent Chaser » Tue Jan 7, 2014 8:05 pm

His absolute ceiling is probably Klay Thompson
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#12 » by ManualRam » Wed Jan 8, 2014 2:41 pm

i think his skill set is being undersold in this thread. he's much more aggressive off the bounce than he once was and even if he does still have a somewhat thin frame, he attacks his defender hard. unlike most lefties, hood also has the ability to drive right. in fact, it appears that he favors driving to his right. at the very least, he'll be able to attack closeouts hard going either direction . he also has a mean pull-up/ leaner game. if the defense puts a SG on him he has the ability to take him down into the post too. the elevation he gets on his jumper bodes well for future shot creation as well. i think he has a tougher shot to contest than say, james young's.
i think he has more potential than a 3 and D player.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
lakeshow22
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#13 » by lakeshow22 » Wed Jan 8, 2014 7:25 pm

ManualRam wrote:i think his skill set is being undersold in this thread. he's much more aggressive off the bounce than he once was and even if he does still have a somewhat thin frame, he attacks his defender hard. unlike most lefties, hood also has the ability to drive right. in fact, it appears that he favors driving to his right. at the very least, he'll be able to attack closeouts hard going either direction . he also has a mean pull-up/ leaner game. if the defense puts a SG on him he has the ability to take him down into the post too. the elevation he gets on his jumper bodes well for future shot creation as well. i think he has a tougher shot to contest than say, james young's.

So just how high is his potential? What is a comparison for him. Does he Have All Star Potential?
gags1288
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#14 » by gags1288 » Wed Jan 8, 2014 7:44 pm

[quote="Ruzious"][quote="HeartBreakKid"]I thought Hood looked pretty athletic the few times I saw him, not as much as I had heard about him in the past.

He'll be a good 3 and D guy for sure.[/quote]
He runs the court well, but he's clearly not an explosive athlete - has an ordinary first step, doesn't have much of a vertical, and doesn't look particularly strong. I'll agree that he fits as a 3 and D guy in the NBA - though the report that his wingspan is only 6'8 worries me - as does his lack of steals and blocks. He looks longer than that.[/quote]

I think he's a better athlete than you are giving him credit for. I'd bet his vertical is pushing 40" (I've seen a few dunks this year where his head is at or near rim level). He is also tremendous from the mid-range, so I think you're selling him short in terms of what he can bring on the offensive end. Other than that, I think your analysis is fair. His defense leaves quite a bit to be desired at this point and he's not explosive in terms of his first step.

I don't think he has all-star potential, but I think he projects as a really good 3rd option on a good team, absolute upside probably a 2nd option 20-22 ppg guy.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#15 » by ManualRam » Wed Jan 8, 2014 9:01 pm

lakeshow22 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:i think his skill set is being undersold in this thread. he's much more aggressive off the bounce than he once was and even if he does still have a somewhat thin frame, he attacks his defender hard. unlike most lefties, hood also has the ability to drive right. in fact, it appears that he favors driving to his right. at the very least, he'll be able to attack closeouts hard going either direction . he also has a mean pull-up/ leaner game. if the defense puts a SG on him he has the ability to take him down into the post too. the elevation he gets on his jumper bodes well for future shot creation as well. i think he has a tougher shot to contest than say, james young's.

So just how high is his potential? What is a comparison for him. Does he Have All Star Potential?

idk, i think he can be a high teens scorer. maybe peaking at low 20s.
calbert cheaney's a good start, but i think hood has more potential since he already has 3 pt range which cheaney never did. calbert was also more of a system player who'd come off of curls for mid-range jumpers and leaners. hood's better driving the ball.
all-star? maybe not on his own merits. like if he was on a mediocre team, probably not. maybe if he was on an excellent, winning team as a 3rd option.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,009

Post#16 » by mattg » Wed Jan 8, 2014 9:27 pm

He reminds me of khris Middleton on the bucks. Rangy wings who are great shooters. Can attack close outs and off shot fakes to hit midrange pull ups and floaters. Good defenders as well.
Brauer
Bench Warmer
And1: 806

Post#17 » by Brauer » Thu Jan 9, 2014 11:41 pm

Am I the only one who sees Danny Granger?
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#18 » by SBM » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:14 am

He is a highly efficient offensive player but he does not create for himself or others. He is not a SF either, he is a SG whose efficiency may come from the fact that he limits himself offensively to one or two dribble pullups which is a good thing for a player to know what he does well, that is definitely a pro trait.

I think his ceiling is a less athletic Morris Peterson, give or take a little, who was a former Michigan State guard that played in the league and averaged basically 11pts and 3.5 rebounds over a 11 year career.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#19 » by ManualRam » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:28 am

he actually does create for himself. he'll drive the ball, either off of closeouts or face ups. he's a good enough shooter that he has to be played close, which makes his first step better than it would be if he wasn't a knock down shooter. he can also put the ball on the deck with either hand. no, he's not much of a playmaker but he is a willing passer and he'll move the ball.
and i'd consider him a swing man. his length and build probably plays better vs 2's but i think he's capable of defending the non-freakish SFs.

mo pete didn't have much of an offensive game outside of 3's, transition and cuts. i think j.young's game resembles mo pete's more, but i think he'll be better too.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#20 » by Old Man Game » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:30 am

How is this kid's defense? Lots of the write ups make it out like he barely even tried on that side of the ball.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to NBA Draft