NEW HEAD COACH

Moderator: theBigLip

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: NEW HEAD COACH 

Post#41 » by ajaX82 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:20 pm

ESPN reporting that Whiz agrees with Tennessee to become their head coach. I'm stunned. With him and Gruden out, I'm horrified.

We are screwed
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#42 » by ajaX82 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:23 pm

The fact that we lost out to the freakin Titans for this guy??? Goes to show how the organization is viewed around the league
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#43 » by ajaX82 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:28 pm

Word already circulating that Caldwell could be the guy for us.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#44 » by Piston Pete » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:11 am

ajaX82 wrote:The fact that we lost out to the freakin Titans for this guy??? Goes to show how the organization is viewed around the league

Honestly....which organization has been run better?

If you say Lions, you are kidding yourself. Yes, we currently have the edge on them talent-wise, but they will be very flexible cap-wise and the new coach (Whis) can put his stamp on the roster almost immediately. That, plus their organization has a history of winning where our has not.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#45 » by Piston Pete » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:32 am

I take it Caldwell is now in the batter's box?
Q00
Banned User
And1: 2,604

Post#46 » by Q00 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:40 am

Good news on Whisenhunt. No career losing records for me.

Caldwell is a better option I think, but would explore more possibilities first before rushing into hiring him
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#47 » by Lionlifer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:50 am

Q00 wrote:Good news on Whisenhunt. No career losing records for me.

Caldwell is a better option I think, but would explore more possibilities first before rushing into hiring him

Bet we go into panic mode and sign him in the next 24 hours.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#48 » by Piston Pete » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:49 am

Quickly looked up the professional resumes of each Head Coaching candidate.....and the winner by far, was Gary Kubiak.

Years of experience running an offense and working with QBs in Denver, and really good coaching results in Houston, until this season....but love the offensive system he took there with him.

If I were Mayhew, I'd look much more into Kubiak and far less into Munchak.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#49 » by Icness » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:22 am

Lionlifer wrote:
Q00 wrote:Good news on Whisenhunt. No career losing records for me.

Bet we go into panic mode and sign him in the next 24 hours.

I think so too, but it's not a panic move.

Big sticking point with Whiz was that he wanted to use a 3-4 D, Mayhew & crew didn't like the idea of rebuilding, think they can win now with the existing 4-3. Wasn't the only issue but was a big one.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#50 » by dVs33 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:44 am

As someone who knows very little about NFL but is trying to get into it, i don't know much about the head coach candidates. It looks like Caldwell is the frontrunner for the job now that Whisenhunt is out of the picture.
Would someone be able to put together a basic Pros and Cons list for him?? Also is he a good fit for the team??
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#51 » by Piston Pete » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:04 pm

dVs33 wrote:As someone who knows very little about NFL but is trying to get into it, i don't know much about the head coach candidates. It looks like Caldwell is the frontrunner for the job now that Whisenhunt is out of the picture.
Would someone be able to put together a basic Pros and Cons list for him?? Also is he a good fit for the team??

The only "Pro" he has is if you reference his time in Indy.....when there is much debate about how much he actually led the team. Specifically, the Peyton Manning-led offense. I believe the Colts even cited "leadership" as a reason for his firing...

His time in Baltimore doesn't do anything for me. He led one of the worst offenses in the league this season.

Just wikipedia the professional resumes of these guys, and tell me who has the most impressive background:

Caldwell
Kubiak
Gales
Munchak
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#52 » by Icness » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:14 pm

Caldwell is a Tony Dungy disciple. That word is often misused but not in this case, he literally worshiped at Dungy's feet and served under him for years.

Caldwell is a very calm guy, not unlike Lovie Smith. Hyper-organized. More of a tough-love approach to discipline and to the overall view.

In Indy he ran a very vanilla defense, a lot more zone than what Schwartz ran the last couple of years.

He took over a very good Colts team with Manning, has never built anything up on his own. These Lions are playoff-ready though.

In his interview with DET he had a 30-something page presentation on his plan for Stafford, and Stafford himself saw it and liked it. If the QB can get behind it, the fans should too. I'm not a big Caldwell fan but he's a better option than Mike Munchak.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#53 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:00 pm

While we couldn't sign whiz, one of our biggest losses might come if Brian Xander becomes GM of Miami.

"Xanders joined the Lions last January in the senior personnel executive role. His main assignment last offseason was to overhaul Detroit's scouting system, and whether it was a coincidence or not, the Lions put together one of their best drafts and undrafted free agent classes in quite some time"

One of the main reason's why we aren't legit contenders is because we whiffed on some high picks. I would like to continue this trend of finding value all over the draft and else where
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#54 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:07 pm

Icness wrote:Caldwell is a Tony Dungy disciple. That word is often misused but not in this case, he literally worshiped at Dungy's feet and served under him for years.

Caldwell is a very calm guy, not unlike Lovie Smith. Hyper-organized. More of a tough-love approach to discipline and to the overall view.

In Indy he ran a very vanilla defense, a lot more zone than what Schwartz ran the last couple of years.

He took over a very good Colts team with Manning, has never built anything up on his own. These Lions are playoff-ready though.

In his interview with DET he had a 30-something page presentation on his plan for Stafford, and Stafford himself saw it and liked it. If the QB can get behind it, the fans should too. I'm not a big Caldwell fan but he's a better option than Mike Munchak.

Heard you think Tressel is going to join the staff?
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#55 » by Piston Pete » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:12 am

On a scale of 1-to-10 (10 being the happiest), I'm about a 5-6 on this hire.....optimistic yet thinking we could have done better.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#56 » by Piston Pete » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:30 am

Also torn on the Coordinators.....

OC = Lazor (ex-Eagles QB coach) - Sounds promising. 3 years as OC at UVA (Virginia) sandwiched between being QB coach in Seattle, Washington, and Philly. Has been getting a ton of credit for developing Foles even though he's only been there for 1 season....we'll see

DC = Austin (ex-Ravens DB coach) - Sounds less promising. DBs coach in Seattle and Arizona, then one year as DC at UF (Florida), then back to DBs coach for the Ravens. Sounds extremely raw despite being nearly 49 years old.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by ajaX82 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:14 am

I was less enthused a week ago, but now that he is our coach I'll be 100% behind it. Like the fact that he has a way with QBs, seems very smart and stable, should cut down on the overall stupidity of the team. Don't like how terrible the Ravens offense was this year, that he wasn't garnering interest anywhere else.

Only time will tell, but it should make for a nice contrast to Schwartz
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#58 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:44 am

ajaX82 wrote:I was less enthused a week ago, but now that he is our coach I'll be 100% behind it. Like the fact that he has a way with QBs, seems very smart and stable, should cut down on the overall stupidity of the team. Don't like how terrible the Ravens offense was this year, that he wasn't garnering interest anywhere else.

Only time will tell, but it should make for a nice contrast to Schwartz

My biggest concern is Caldwell hasn't won any where he's coached outside the manning years. While insiders state don't discount Caldwells influence on manning, its still alarming. Also the coordinators he's hiring , specifically the DC, I am not too enthused about. On the plus side, Dungy's endorsement does carry a bit of weight.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#59 » by Icness » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:07 am

I don't know Austin at all, can't comment. Lazor is a real good hire IMO. Creative guy that demands respect from players.

I shot a video this AM on Whiz & a few other things:
http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/?p=2482

FYI the mystery coach I was alluding to was Tony Dungy
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#60 » by Piston Pete » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:22 am

Iceness,

Hearing whispers that the Ravens offense was so bad this (last) season that if not hired elsewhere, Caldwell was likely to be fired and replaced in Baltimore. Any truth to those rumblings?

Return to Detroit Lions