Lighten up, Francis.
Bullets -> Wizards
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Re: GT #37: Wizards vs Heat - January 15th - 7 pm 

Post#362 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:48 pm

I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#363 » by Wizardspride » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:59 pm

Washington Wizards ‏@WashWizards

LeBron James on John Wall: “When John Wall is healthy, they are a very, very good team. He played an unbelievable game tonight."
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#364 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:46 pm

Hypnotizer wrote:'Mr President, we promise - Wizards will score less than 44 points in the 1st q'.

Maybe Ted can talk to Obama about inviting all visiting teams to go to the White House before games. It's gotta take away a bit from their focus on basketball. Maybe we don't get a 25 point first quarter lead every game, but take advantage of what is otherwise the world's biggest home court advantage.

But wait till after the Chicago game. Don't wanna give him a conflict there.

Btw, is that Glen Robinson, Sr above/between Wade and Lebron?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#365 » by montestewart » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:55 pm

Last Sunday, I took a young friend (I call him my foster nephew, he's my foster son's younger brother) out to get his Christmas/birthday present. He bought a pair of Lebrons. I didn't even flinch. He knows what he wants, and they looked pretty sharp. Wednesday, another friend took him to the Wizards Heat game.

That game was the most exciting this year to me, and my father-in-law (who's REALLY OLD) was much more engaged and excited than usual, as I'd call out the leads to him: 24-12, 36-12, 43-18. But he's been watching the Wizards too long. "It's too early to get excited." He was concerned that they didn't widen the lead before the half, calmed down when they came out fighting in the 3rd quarter, then started to announce the Wizards collapse (that's usually when he starts calling for Vesely).

But Wall, Nene, Booker and friends put on a show for us in the 4th. How can I complain about any aspect of that game? I even liked Maynor. No matter how much I question this team's direction, I'm a fan, and I'm going to enjoy a win like this just as I enjoyed (and completely lost my voice over) the Wizards beating the Celtics the year they won the championship (without Arenas), and beating the Cavs 108-72 in the playoffs (without Arenas), and beating the Thunder and the Lakers in the strike season. I like me some wins, especially the unexpected ones.

I texted my foster nephew's foster mom about what a great game he saw. She said he came home all smiles, sporting his Lebrons, bragging about how the Wizards had held Lebron under 30 points and shut down Wade.

A great game. Very satisfying.
noworriesinmd
Junior
And1: 69

Post#366 » by noworriesinmd » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Most of my comments about the team start out like: "I don't get too high or low about this team".
I also waited 24 hours to say something.

I think when we have big wins, people go overboard.
I think when we have big losses people go overboard in the opposite direction.

This team has real flaws that need to be addressed by Management.
Lebron made the CLE org look like geniuses....It's easy to pat yourself on the back when you have a great player to hide your incompetence.

I believe we have player(s) like that in Wall and possibly Beal.
CLE should be on the upswing, but they've squandered a lot of their good fortune....same with this org.
This is a playoff bound .500 team at best. There is nothing wrong with that???
Where is the upside? Or is the future so bright that we have to put blinders on?

I'll be the biggest cheerleader when there is >50% this org is going in the right direction.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#367 » by montestewart » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:10 pm

noworriesinmd wrote:I think when we have big wins, people go overboard.

That is a guilty pleasure of my fandom. I love doing that. It doesn't necessarily make me think the team is so much better (sustained success is what I'm looking for) but why shouldn't fans of a team down on its luck for so many years feel great when that team beats the reigning champions?

noworriesinmd wrote:This team has real flaws that need to be addressed by Management.

I agree, and I think it needs to be addressed by NEW management.

But I'm not going to let it rob me of the joy in watching the Wizards kicking [fill in the blank]'s @$$!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#368 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:29 pm

montestewart wrote:Last Sunday, I took a young friend (I call him my foster nephew, he's my foster son's younger brother) out to get his Christmas/birthday present. He bought a pair of Lebrons. I didn't even flinch. He knows what he wants, and they looked pretty sharp. Wednesday, another friend took him to the Wizards Heat game.

That game was the most exciting this year to me, and my father-in-law (who's REALLY OLD) was much more engaged and excited than usual, as I'd call out the leads to him: 24-12, 36-12, 43-18. But he's been watching the Wizards too long. "It's too early to get excited." He was concerned that they didn't widen the lead before the half, calmed down when they came out fighting in the 3rd quarter, then started to announce the Wizards collapse (that's usually when he starts calling for Vesely).

But Wall, Nene, Booker and friends put on a show for us in the 4th. How can I complain about any aspect of that game? I even liked Maynor. No matter how much I question this team's direction, I'm a fan, and I'm going to enjoy a win like this just as I enjoyed (and completely lost my voice over) the Wizards beating the Celtics the year they won the championship (without Arenas), and beating the Cavs 108-72 in the playoffs (without Arenas), and beating the Thunder and the Lakers in the strike season. I like me some wins, especially the unexpected ones.

I texted my foster nephew's foster mom about what a great game he saw. She said he came home all smiles, sporting his Lebrons, bragging about how the Wizards had held Lebron under 30 points and shut down Wade.

Awesomeness. Doc or Miller, please put that in the thread up top.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#369 » by Nivek » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:33 pm

So far this season, in WINS the Wizards have the efficiency differential of a 62-win team. In LOSSES, they have the efficiency differential of a 14-win team.

Since 1979-80, 35 teams have won 62 games in a season, and 21 have won 14 or fewer.

So, when they win, the Wizards look pretty much like the best team in the league in any given season. When they lose, they look like the worst.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#370 » by pancakes3 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:54 pm

Nivek wrote:So far this season, in WINS the Wizards have the efficiency differential of a 62-win team. In LOSSES, they have the efficiency differential of a 14-win team.

Since 1979-80, 35 teams have won 62 games in a season, and 21 have won 14 or fewer.

So, when they win, the Wizards look pretty much like the best team in the league in any given season. When they lose, they look like the worst.

So it's not just us being fickle. Math is on our side. That makes me feel better.
Bullets -> Wizards
noworriesinmd
Junior
And1: 69

Post#371 » by noworriesinmd » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:33 pm

I like where this is going.

If we have a great team that wins that convincingly, what changes when we loose?
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#372 » by doclinkin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:44 am

Ruzious wrote:
montestewart wrote:Last Sunday, I took a young friend (I call him my foster nephew, he's my foster son's younger brother) out to get his Christmas/birthday present. He bought a pair of Lebrons. I didn't even flinch. He knows what he wants, and they looked pretty sharp. Wednesday, another friend took him to the Wizards Heat game.

Awesomeness. Doc or Miller, please put that in the thread up top.

done.

Return to Washington Wizards