Draft Chat 2014

Moderator: theBigLip

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Draft Chat 2014 

Post#1 » by ajaX82 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Let's talk prospects. Who do you like, not like, want, expect, etc.

Discuss
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Re: Draft Chat 2014 

Post#2 » by Piston Pete » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:00 pm

Watkins in the 1st round seems like our best-case scenario.

Outside of WR......CB, S, C, and OLB (and maybe RB depth) are our positions of need.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by ajaX82 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:13 pm

I think the big question is who you look at if Watkins is gone. Evans or Lee make the sense for WR and are two very different guys, while Khalil Mack looks like a stud OLB

I don't want a CB in the first. You can only draft so many of those guys before finding out who you got.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#4 » by Piston Pete » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:31 am

ajaX82 wrote:I think the big question is who you look at if Watkins is gone. Evans or Lee make the sense for WR and are two very different guys, while Khalil Mack looks like a stud OLB

I don't want a CB in the first. You can only draft so many of those guys before finding out who you got.

Agreed.

Or maybe we trade down in the 1st and look to get 3 picks in the first two rounds....

something like (mix and match the positions picked per round, depending);
1 - WR
2a - CB
2b - S
3 - OLB
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#5 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:32 pm

If Watkins is available, we draft him. if not we trade back and draft denard or evans. then in the second round use the pick we picked up to draft a S and one of DE/WR/CB(depending on what we did in the first round)
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#6 » by Sheeeeed » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:41 am

I'm not sure they'll go CB so early in the draft when they've drafted plenty the last couple of years. CBs take time to develop. Safety is going to be a much bigger need if Delmas isn't resigned.

If no WR in the 1st I'd like to see Clinton-Dix in the 1st and Jordan Matthews in the 2nd.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#7 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Sheeeeed wrote:I'm not sure they'll go CB so early in the draft when they've drafted plenty the last couple of years. CBs take time to develop. Safety is going to be a much bigger need if Delmas isn't resigned.

If no WR in the 1st I'd like to see Clinton-Dix in the 1st and Jordan Matthews in the 2nd.

even if delmas is resigned, he's still a injury liability and has was average last year. we need to find his replacement
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#8 » by Sheeeeed » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:34 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
Sheeeeed wrote:I'm not sure they'll go CB so early in the draft when they've drafted plenty the last couple of years. CBs take time to develop. Safety is going to be a much bigger need if Delmas isn't resigned.

even if delmas is resigned, he's still a injury liability and has was average last year. we need to find his replacement

True, but I can't see them spending a high draft pick on a safety if they resign Delmas. Especially if he gets any guaranteed money.

Kiper promoting Manziel as the #1 pick smells like some shilling.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#9 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:22 pm

Sheeeeed wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

True, but I can't see them spending a high draft pick on a safety if they resign Delmas. Especially if he gets any guaranteed money.

Kiper promoting Manziel as the #1 pick smells like some shilling.

I think we go WR/DE/CB depending on BPA. and safety in 2nd or 3rd round. you do make a good point. if I recall correctly delmas is on a 1 year contract? Kiper thinks the Texans are going QB, which they need. Manzel I don't think is the first QB off the board. His size and durability are the biggest questions. I think Texans draft clowney, or dangle the pick
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#10 » by Icness » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:52 pm

Wrote this one yesterday, has some names that don't get thrown around much in it. Keep an eye on Kony Ealy as BPA...
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1961 ... s-to-watch
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#11 » by Piston Pete » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:45 pm

What about the small-school CB prospect - Pierre Desir? I remember you saying something along the lines of wanting to keep an extra close eye on him before. Is he legit? Or is he more raw and beat up on his lesser competition than anything else?
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by ajaX82 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:38 pm

Combine this week I believe...time to really start talking draft!

I'm down to a couple positions I want at 10: a pass catcher or an outside backer.

Passcatchers: Watkins is the ideal guy and fits exactly what we need. He most likely won't be there though. Evans or Lee are interesting. Evans may be the better player but Lee the better fit. I would be fine with either. A curveball I would consider is Eric Ebron, a TE. He's a match-up nightmare and could become Stafford favorite safety valve. Run a two TE set with Ebron and Fauria and you have serious nightmares for teams to figure out.

OLB: Mack is a guy I take if he is there (unless him and Watkins are on the board, which is very unlikely). I love him. I love Mosely's head and experience playing for 'Bama. Barr could be the best but has a lot of technique flaws to clean up.

I think there are lots of options at 10. We obviously need a WR but the options after Watkins aren't awesome. I really like the OLBs and while it isn't the biggest need, would really solidify that front 7.

What say you?
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#13 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:49 pm

Question if Watkins isn't available, do we go after Eric Ebron? his size and skills are really hard to pass up especially when we need help on the offense. i have a strange feeling we'll go CB or Safety.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#14 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:51 pm

ajaX82 wrote:Combine this week I believe...time to really start talking draft!

I'm down to a couple positions I want at 10: a pass catcher or an outside backer.

Passcatchers: Watkins is the ideal guy and fits exactly what we need. He most likely won't be there though. Evans or Lee are interesting. Evans may be the better player but Lee the better fit. I would be fine with either. A curveball I would consider is Eric Ebron, a TE. He's a match-up nightmare and could become Stafford favorite safety valve. Run a two TE set with Ebron and Fauria and you have serious nightmares for teams to figure out.

OLB: Mack is a guy I take if he is there (unless him and Watkins are on the board, which is very unlikely). I love him. I love Mosely's head and experience playing for 'Bama. Barr could be the best but has a lot of technique flaws to clean up.

I think there are lots of options at 10. We obviously need a WR but the options after Watkins aren't awesome. I really like the OLBs and while it isn't the biggest need, would really solidify that front 7.

What say you?

Clowney numbers are going to be really interesting, his play would warrant 1st pick, however apparently his work ethic has been questioned. While i would contribute this to the fact he has been a man child and never had to work really hard, it is concerning at the next level where he's not going to be seen as bigger. Work ethic has a lot more weight than it once did. A lesson Fairley is teachin us
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#15 » by Lionlifer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:21 pm

I have a feeling if Watkins is off the board (and he should be), we trade back for Ha-Ha.

The deep ball killed us last year, and he is the top safety in the draft. But my concern with Bama players is I'm starting to feel like they are a sum of all parts and not necessarily individually great. I'd still roll the dice though

That being said, I do NOT want another corner, lets see if one of the 15 we drafted in the last two years pans out, and hope Houston gets back to his old form.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#16 » by Piston Pete » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:36 pm

Here's what I'd like to do (so far).....

We need to prioritize a CB or S to target via free agency. Then take the other in the 2nd round of the draft.

1) TE Ebron (UNC, game-changing receiving TE)
2) CB or S (whichever position we aren't targeting via free agency)
3) WR Bryant (Clemson, big, fast WR)
4) QB Logan Thomas (Big, athletic QB with big arm to groom)
6) OLB Pierre-Louis (BC, super athletic OLB)
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#17 » by Piston Pete » Sat Mar 1, 2014 4:18 pm

Or if we decide to go with Gilbert at #10:

1) CB Gilbert
2) S Pryor
3) WR Bryant
4) QB Thomas
6) OLB Pierre-Louis

FA: Sign good WR, re-sign Pettigrew for cheap, Sign depth WR (LaFell?)
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#18 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Mar 6, 2014 11:42 pm

Per Pride of Detroit:

Lions showing increasing interest in Sammy Watkins, maybe looking to move up. IDK if i'm down to give up a 2nd and 4th round pick for Watkins. He is definitely a game changer however if Stafford is half the QB that our coaches think he is, then i'd rather draft evans at 10 and address CB, S, C with those other pick.

This isn't basketball and we can't win with just the best talent at certain positions
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#19 » by Piston Pete » Fri Mar 7, 2014 3:59 am

I don't like trading up.

If we're a piece or two away from contention, sure....

But we have too many holes to be trading away chunks of picks for a shot at one guy. Rather have Ebron/Pryor/Bryant than only Watkins.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by ajaX82 » Sat Mar 8, 2014 12:26 am

Our second rounders are always busts anyways, so I don't mind giving up the pick to move up nearly as much as I probably should. I do think Watkins is way above the others WRs in this class and is exactly what we need. He would make the offense worlds better. Dunno what the cost would be or how high we would have to jump up though.

Return to Detroit Lions