Delon Wright Is the Best Prospect You've Nevever Heard Of

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Delon Wright Is the Best Prospect You've Nevever Heard Of 

Post#1 » by noobcake » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:32 am

Every college basketball season there are a few solid NBA prospects who mysteriously fly under the NBA draft radar. This year, Utah's Delon Wright is one of those players. Wright is the younger brother of NBA veteran swingman Dorell Wright. Unlike his older brother, whom he apparently easily beats one-on-one, Delon Wright is a 6'5" playmaking guard—and a particularly dynamic one at that.

Wright is advantageously tall for a point guard, especially at the college level, and he appears to have the skill set necessary to play that same position as a pro. Because of academic issues, Wright spent two years at City College of San Francisco before arriving at Utah this season. His transition from community college to the PAC-12 was seamless: Wright's mixture of size, fluidity and on-court intelligence overwhelmed Division I opponents immediately. However, NBA scouts haven't seemed to notice.

Wright's all-around production for a decent Utes team has been rather jaw-dropping. He's averaging 16 points, 6.7 rebounds, 5.4 assists, 2.8 steals and 1.3 blocks per game—and shooting 60% from the field. His long-range shooting needs work, but when a point guard prospect shoots 60% from the field such flaws can be overlooked for the time being.

Players in the Pac-12 with statistics like Wright's should be very much in the 2014 first-round draft discussion, but Wright's name rarely pops up. One reason is perhaps because of his age—Wright will be 22 in April—and another might be his somewhat unusual path to Utah. But none of these things should matter—any tall point guard who mixes offensive efficiency with dominant defense (2+ steals and 1+ blocks per game) has to be taken seriously as a highly intriguing prospect. With Wright, so far, that has not been the case. He could be a draft day heist in June.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1955 ... r-heard-of
Ruckusmh
Junior
And1: 189

Re: Delon Wright Is the Best Prospect You've Nevever Heard O 

Post#2 » by Ruckusmh » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:59 am

Huge Utah fan here, just a couple of insights and questions about him going forward:

First of all, easily the best Utah player this year and his BBiq is just absurd. He is a 60% shooter because he takes about 85% of his shots at the rim. Very good at not forcing offense, making the right play, great moves in the lane and in transition. He has extremely long arms and his steals come from playing the passing lanes but also from poking the ball from behind which he probably does almost once each game. His blocks are almost never help defense blocks, but blocks against his own man at the rim.

He is a FANTASTIC college player, but as a pro prospect I'm a little nervous about him, mainly because his three point shot is just not good. Not sure if it's a form thing or just mental, he's over 80% at the line but will not attempt threes even if left wide open.
I also am unsure if his handle is good enough to be a full time pg in the NBA. I think he would do great to start out as a bench SG next to a pure shooting PG, someone in the Eddie House mold or similar.
He is also obviously VERY skinny and needs to put on a little weight.

For all the criticism of him, his line tonight against ASU was just absurd.

7-7 from the field (all at the rim), 8-10 from the line for 22 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals, and 3 blocks.

If you haven't had a chance to do so, try to watch him at least once. He is phenomenal.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#3 » by ManualRam » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:24 am

i think his handle is good enough to be a pg. his IQ and vision obviously are. he can be a little casual with the ball. added strength would obviously help, but he has all the moves. he has the change of speed and direction. he has that calmness about him that allows him to anticipate where the defense is coming from and react to it. he's very slithery (one of the better guards i've seen this yr splitting traps) and can cover so much ground with single moves because he's so long and rangy. in the paint his footwork is among the best, if not the best i've seen of a college guard. he admits that his idol is d.wade and it shows in his footwork. his euro steps are nba level.

he's not a confident 3 pt shooter, but his stroke is not bad. he shoots a bit of a push shot and he appears to aim the ball more than shoot it, but i don't think his shot is broken. his ft% is a good indication of his touch. range is another area i think added strength would help.

his poise and iq are what i'm most impressed with. he's got a very mature game to go along with his flair and creativity. he's the best pg prospect i've in seen in college this yr.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruckusmh
Junior

Post#5 » by Ruckusmh » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:21 am

ManualRam wrote:i think his handle is good enough to be a pg. his IQ and vision obviously are. he can be a little casual with the ball. added strength would obviously help, but he has all the moves. he has the change of speed and direction. he has that calmness about him that allows him to anticipate where the defense is coming from and react to it. he's very slithery (one of the better guards i've seen this yr splitting traps) and can cover so much ground with single moves because he's so long and rangy. in the paint his footwork is among the best, if not the best i've seen of a college guard. he admits that his idol is d.wade and it shows in his footwork. his euro steps are nba level.

he's not a confident 3 pt shooter, but his stroke is not bad. he shoots a bit of a push shot and he appears to aim the ball more than shoot it, but i don't think his shot is broken. his ft% is a good indication of his touch. range is another area i think added strength would help.

his poise and iq are what i'm most impressed with. he's got a very mature game to go along with his flair and creativity. he's the best pg prospect i've in seen in college this yr.

Interesting to get your viewpoint, I know you watch a lot of cbb. I think loose with the ball is exactly the right term, almost like he doesnt strike it squarely with his hand occasionally and will get really dead bounces when trying to keep it away from pressure. His footwork is easily the best I've seen at the college level this year, he is absolutely dynamite at getting to the basket and avoiding charges. Recently he has seemed to get better at creating contact which is big for him.

Where do you see him going? Or do you think he may come back and try to add strength and come out next year? I could see it going either way with him at this point. He's intriguing, but has enough questions combined with his age that I have a hard time seeing him before early second or maybe late first.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#6 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:08 am

He should come out this year. Otherwise, he'll be 23 when he's drafted, and that's a huge stigma. NBA GM's know who he is - even if the internet sites have been slow to catch on. He will be a 1st round pick if he comes out this year.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#7 » by ManualRam » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:48 pm

Ruckusmh wrote:
ManualRam wrote:i think his handle is good enough to be a pg. his IQ and vision obviously are. he can be a little casual with the ball. added strength would obviously help, but he has all the moves. he has the change of speed and direction. he has that calmness about him that allows him to anticipate where the defense is coming from and react to it. he's very slithery (one of the better guards i've seen this yr splitting traps) and can cover so much ground with single moves because he's so long and rangy. in the paint his footwork is among the best, if not the best i've seen of a college guard. he admits that his idol is d.wade and it shows in his footwork. his euro steps are nba level.

Interesting to get your viewpoint, I know you watch a lot of cbb. I think loose with the ball is exactly the right term, almost like he doesnt strike it squarely with his hand occasionally and will get really dead bounces when trying to keep it away from pressure. His footwork is easily the best I've seen at the college level this year, he is absolutely dynamite at getting to the basket and avoiding charges. Recently he has seemed to get better at creating contact which is big for him.

Where do you see him going? Or do you think he may come back and try to add strength and come out next year? I could see it going either way with him at this point. He's intriguing, but has enough questions combined with his age that I have a hard time seeing him before early second or maybe late first.

i don't know where he'd go should he declare. i just know where i'd take him and i think he's definitely a first rounder, somewhere in the late teens to early 20s. i have him currently at 22 on my big board. age is a factor and so is his frame, but i'd have no problem with a team taking him in the teens. i think his combination of iq, tools, creativity and anticipation is pretty rare. i think he should definitely at least submit his name for feedback. maybe the scouting sites are just slow to react to a player with his background who was off their radar, but i doubt he's invisible to pro scouts this late into the season. he's been too good to simply ignore. it's not like he's hidden in a weak conference on a bad team. utah's at least decent and have a couple of good wins. every time i watch one of their games, the color guys are always gushing about his basketball acumen.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Bluejay
Banned User
And1: 354

Post#8 » by Bluejay » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:45 pm

He's been posted about in the sleeper thread as early as October.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#9 » by djthesonicsfan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:45 pm

He seems like a Presti pick. We might have the Dallas pick at #21. And we need a third PG to sit on the bench next year & play at Tulsa as Jackson might be too expensive to keep the following season.
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#10 » by EMG518 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:06 pm

Should change the title to

Delon Wright Is The Best Prospect You've Never Heard Of Unless You Frequent Real GM's NBA Draft Forum.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,481

Post#11 » by 165bows » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:16 pm

Who projects better, for those that have seen them: Delon Wright or Elfrid Payton?
lakeshow22
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#12 » by lakeshow22 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:43 pm

If he's the best point guard prospect you have seen this year than y do u have him so low? 21 isn't that old for a junior and there have been players older than that taken in the lottery. Is the high teens or 20s the earliest you can see him going? Best case scenario how high could he go this year should he declare? Who would you compare his game to? Could he be a starting point guard in the NBA next season?
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#13 » by ManualRam » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:24 pm

lakeshow22 wrote:

If he's the best point guard prospect you have seen this year than y do u have him so low? 21 isn't that old for a junior and there have been players older than that taken in the lottery. Is the high teens or 20s the earliest you can see him going? Best case scenario how high could he go this year should he declare? Who would you compare his game to? Could he be a starting point guard in the NBA next season?

because i am realistic. there is not a great need for PGs. he's older, thin, a JC transfer who has no residual hype from HS, was off draft radars before the season started, on a middling program with no national hype and less visibility. i take all that into consideration. on talent alone i'd have him higher, but again, i'm realistic so low 20s is where i have him. i'd have no problem with a team taking him late lotto if they really like him and they need a pg.

i'd compare his game to a mixture of a rondo and jrue holiday. he has similar length, slipperiness, thin build, creativity with the ball as rondo. he's disruptive defensively with his length, quick hands and ability to play passing lanes. very good finisher despite his thin frame. he's got a big bag of tricks in the painted area with running hooks, floaters, leaners, push shots, scoop shots. knows how to use his extension to reach past defenders to get shots up and has terrific body control. will move off the ball looking for easy buckets off of cuts. he's been doing a better job at creating contact and getting to the line (nearly 7 FTA in conference play). he'll gamble on D like rondo looking to dig, shoot gaps and attempt poke-aways from behind. not as creative of a passer as rondo, but he doesn't pound the ball like rondo either. he has good vision with anticipation and doesn't fear attempting riskier passes. gets assists via distribution, but he has break down ability and looks comfortable making plays out of PnR. reads shots in flight and won't hesitate to swoop into traffic for rebounds. great hands and is quick to the ball (over 7 boards in conference play).

he plays with the pace of jrue holiday though. very calm and collected, almost too casual at times. doesn't get rattled. he's not ball-dominant, will distribute and run the offense through it's progressions. has no problem with others initiating the offense. can put up impressive lines quietly, within the flow of the game. he does have good quickness, but does not rely on it. i think he's more liable to pick his spots and beat his defender with change of speed/direction, anticipation, deception or involving his man in ball screens. he really has great fakes and footwork. knows how to manipulate defenders so he doesn't have to go 100 miles an hour.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruckusmh
Junior

Post#14 » by Ruckusmh » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:32 am

I think if he could go late first to a contender and get groomed at 10-15 minutes a game on a very good team that would probably be optimal for his development.

He is a guy who can come in and play right away, but I feel could really be a monster if brought along slowly so he has time to improve in practice. Really, that's the best thing about him as a later pick in my mind - he has a very defined skillset that even with a couple of glaring weaknesses is a solid player. If he can develop a perimeter shot and tighten his handle he could be a very very good player in the NBA.
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#15 » by RoyalMajesty » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:29 am

Don't worry Bob Myers and Jerry West will pick him up when he goes undrafted :wink:
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#16 » by TucsonClip » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:32 am

I do like him as a reserve guard that can play both positions. I would like to see what he looks like trying to score more without the ball in his hands. He should take advantage of the added space at the next level, but I want to see him score more off ball reversals and spot ups.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,037

Post#17 » by brackdan70 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:47 pm

Unless you don't follow College Basketball you have heard of him. maybe if you said that in November it would make some sense.

Looks like a solid player with NBA potential. If he comes out he will get drafted. I would guess early second round this year.
Sign here
Bluejay
Banned User
And1: 354

Post#18 » by Bluejay » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:51 pm

RoyalMajesty wrote:Don't worry Bob Myers and Jerry West will pick him up when he goes undrafted :wink:

He's likely to go in bottom part of 2nd round IMO.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Post#19 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:13 pm

I like him and can see him being a starting PG
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#20 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:55 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:I like him and can see him being a starting PG

Exactly. He's not a jump shooter with 3 point range, and he works well with the ball in his hands, so why mess around playing him anywhere but the point - unless you have to. He's also not thick enough to handle a lot of the stronger 2's.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to NBA Draft