College Basketball Game Thread

Moderator: bwgood77

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,870

Re: College Basketball Game Thread 

Post#321 » by MotownMadness » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:43 pm

Watching Western KY right now and this Shawn Long kid is pretty good. Has he been in any Mocks?

20.6 ppg, 53%fg, 39% from 3
10.8 Rebs
3 bpg
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#322 » by Beorn » Sun Feb 2, 2014 5:59 pm

watching Virginia -Pitt right now, and I want to tear my eyes from their sockets. It's 8-8 with 8' to go for the 1st half
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,921

Post#323 » by JN » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:14 pm

willywazza wrote:That Kentucky squad is just unfair.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Yep, I think they are going 40-0 .... :lol: :lol:
Krodis
Lead Assistant
And1: 599

Post#324 » by Krodis » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:31 am

Villanova never wants to see Creighton again.
donkki
Analyst
And1: 544

Post#325 » by donkki » Sat Mar 8, 2014 5:18 pm

I love the way Florida doubleteams the ball handler after the ball in inbounded after the basket. And continuous full court pressure, gotta love the defensive intensity.
Flight33
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,887

Post#326 » by Flight33 » Sat Mar 8, 2014 7:06 pm

So the secret is out. Wiggins has been carrying Kansas all season.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,472

Post#327 » by Mamba Mentality » Sat Mar 8, 2014 7:09 pm

Flight33 wrote:So the secret is out. Wiggins has been carrying Kansas all season.

More like Embiid is every bit as good as advertised. Kansas was a complete different team in his absence.

And that's not a knock on Wiggins, he has been an absolute beast.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#328 » by reanimator » Sat Mar 8, 2014 7:53 pm

donkki wrote:I love the way Florida doubleteams the ball handler after the ball in inbounded after the basket. And continuous full court pressure, gotta love the defensive intensity.

Really good offensive teams with multiple ballhandlers are going to make them pay i.e. Michigan
HeyIt'sMe
Lead Assistant
And1: 127

Post#329 » by HeyIt'sMe » Sun Mar 9, 2014 2:21 am

reanimator wrote:
donkki wrote:I love the way Florida doubleteams the ball handler after the ball in inbounded after the basket. And continuous full court pressure, gotta love the defensive intensity.

Really good offensive teams with multiple ballhandlers are going to make them pay i.e. Michigan

We shall see. Florida had a ton of injuries and suspensions during the beginning of the season, otherwise there is a real legitimate chance they are 31-0 right now. They're really good, and they're motivated to get past the hurdle of the Elite 8.

They aren't unbeatable, far from it, but they're the best team in the country, IMO.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#330 » by reanimator » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Who was the last team to win a championship without a first round talent that year or the next receiving significant rotation minutes?
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#331 » by miltk » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:05 am

reanimator wrote:Who was the last team to win a championship without a first round talent that year or the next receiving significant rotation minutes?

i don't know if there's such an animal. it would've had to be a cinderella team because all the big schools have big stars. arizona1997 was a pretty surprise mediocre team though.
Krodis
Lead Assistant
And1: 599

Post#332 » by Krodis » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:12 pm

reanimator wrote:Who was the last team to win a championship without a first round talent that year or the next receiving significant rotation minutes?

Pretty sure it hasn't happened since the 40s.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#333 » by reanimator » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:15 pm

Krodis wrote:

Pretty sure it hasn't happened since the 40s.

Who is the first rounder on Florida who is receiving significant minutes?
HeyIt'sMe
Lead Assistant

Post#334 » by HeyIt'sMe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:57 pm

Technically, Chris Walker and Kasey Hill could be first rounders down the road, but they obviously don't play a huge role on this Florida team.

First round talent is a subjective nature. You've had teams that have had players drafted in the first round off of title teams that have busted hard in the pros and should not have gone where they did in the draft. Obviously, the core of this Florida team is good - they've been to three straight Elite 8's, but there are teams in the past that have won the title that didn't have players that really did much in the league, drafted in the first round or not.

1998 Kentucky had very little NBA talent - the best NBA player on that roster was Jamaal Magloire. 2000 Michigan State had Mo Pete, who was a mediocre NBA player, and nobody else of note. 1995 UCLA had little NBA talent, so did 1993 North Carolina. Hell, the '76 Indiana team that went undefeated had nobody on their team that was an NBA standout. What about Louisville last year? Is there going to be an NBA first rounder to come off that roster?

Florida is experienced, and very deep - a rare combo in this day and age in college basketball. They definitely have the goods to win it all.
HeyIt'sMe
Lead Assistant

Post#335 » by HeyIt'sMe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:00 pm

Krodis wrote:

The Louisville title team from last year might not have anyone from its core go in the first round. Montrezl Harrell might go in the first round this season, but didn't play a huge role for Louisville last season, and Russ Smith is a terrific college player but I doubt he goes first round.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#336 » by reanimator » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:17 pm

HeyIt'sMe wrote:
Krodis wrote:

The Louisville title team from last year might not have anyone from its core go in the first round. Montrezl Harrell might go in the first round this season, but didn't play a huge role for Louisville last season, and Russ Smith is a terrific college player but I doubt he goes first round.

Gorgiu Dieng and Harrell played 16 mpg, significantly more than Walker. Not convinced 21 year old Kasey Hill is a first rounder.

And I don't think that it matters if the first rounder does good in the pros, only that the player is viewed as first round caliber and drafted there. I think Florida can get to the Final Four but I have a hunch they come across a bonafide star who spoils their March. I tend to prefer Kansas, Arizona, Louisville as the most likely to win the title. Duke, Michigan, Creighton, Syracuse and Wisconsin need the right match-ups to win it. Michigan St, UCLA, UK,Ok St and UNC are too dysfunctional and will be seeded too low . All of those teams have first round talent, though. Villanova, Virginia, Wichita St and Florida are devoid of that player who can change the game. Just my theory and opinion even if it flies in the face of the eye test.
HeyIt'sMe
Lead Assistant

Post#337 » by HeyIt'sMe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:24 pm

reanimator wrote:
HeyIt'sMe wrote:
Krodis wrote:

Gorgiu Dieng and Harrell played 16 mpg, significantly more than Walker. Not convinced 21 year old Kasey Hill is a first rounder.

And I don't think that it matters if the first rounder does good in the pros, only that the player is viewed as first round caliber and drafted there. I think Florida can get to the Final Four but I have a hunch they come across a bonafide star who spoils their March. I tend to prefer Kansas, Arizona, Louisville as the most likely to win the title. Duke, Michigan, Creighton, Syracuse and Wisconsin need the right match-ups to win it. Michigan St, UCLA, UK,Ok St and UNC are too dysfunctional and will be seeded too low . All of those teams have first round talent, though. Villanova, Virginia, Wichita St and Florida are devoid of that player who can change the game. Just my theory and opinion even if it flies in the face of the eye test.

All legitimate concerns, but titles have been won without crazy NBA talented rosters before. There is a very high chance Florida doesn't win the title, because it's ridiculously difficult to do, but they are a very good basketball team, have to give them their props. They are a lucky bounce against UCONN from being 31-1, and their only other loss came on the road by 6 at Wisconsin when they were missing like half their roster.

They remind me a lot of those mid-2000s Kentucky squads coached by Tubby Smith, but better. Those teams never won a title and were devoid of real NBA talent, too, but I do think this Florida team is a level better than those Kentucky teams.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,870

Post#338 » by MotownMadness » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:21 pm

Lol Ohio State
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#339 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:32 pm

Harvard just ran some calculus and came up with the the winning formula for an underdog.

You can try to understand how they did it, but they'll use too many big words for anyone to truly figure it out.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,472

Post#340 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:36 pm

Harvard lives and dies by the three ball. I wouldn't be surprised if they got blown out next round.

Return to NCAA Basketball