Ron Baker - Wichita St.

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,767

Ron Baker - Wichita St. 

Post#1 » by Upperclass » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:42 pm

Baker is the 2 for the shockers, former walk on. Baker has a great looking shot, can handle, defend, rebound and is a very good passer, with above average vision. He doesn't possess amazing athleticism, but he hanldes the ball well and plays taller than his height.. is gritty, has toughness and swagger, while also seemingly having a pretty good wingspan.

I hate to compare him to other white players.. but he does move alot like Mike Miller and Luke Ridnour, as he moves ina very herky-jerky manner that makes it hard for defenders to stay even with him. He's an NBA point imo.

The Shockers offense is built on ball movement and taking the easiest shot possible so Baker doesn't have huge numbers.. But imo he will be a lottery pick if he comes out next year. I think he would be a first rounder this year as well, if Wichita St. runs the table.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Re: Ron Baker - Wichita St. 

Post#2 » by reanimator » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:00 pm

Lottery pick? First rounder? Wut? lol
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#3 » by LloydFree » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:05 pm

Luke Ridnour and Mike Miller are similar? :lol:
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#4 » by TheNewEra » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:54 pm

Loved the game I hope a team brings him on if likely going undrafted.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#5 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:57 pm

I've never really been sold on him, but the game against Kentucky completely sold me on him. And his game might actually fit the NBA better than college ball. I'm even more sold on Early.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#6 » by Mylie10 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:35 pm

Reminds me of Kyle Singler
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Upperclass
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by Upperclass » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:58 pm

Just a sophomore, I dont see him declaring this year. Likely next year as a redshirt Junior. If Marshall can get him to be more aggressive, I think the sky is the limit. He doesnt make alot of mistakes. Just a heady kid, with a great stroke and better athletic tools than other similar profiled players in the recent past
RookieJazz
Junior
And1: 42

Post#8 » by RookieJazz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:35 am

Smaller Gordon Hayward IMO.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#9 » by doordoor123 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:15 am

Upperclass wrote:Just a sophomore, I dont see him declaring this year. Likely next year as a redshirt Junior. If Marshall can get him to be more aggressive, I think the sky is the limit. He doesnt make alot of mistakes. Just a heady kid, with a great stroke and better athletic tools than other similar profiled players in the recent past

He just finished his likely best season ever in college. I mean his team went 36-0. Most players want to leave when they're on top. I don't think Wichita State will get anymore top than that. Wichita State is a small school that barely gets the spotlight. If the team loses the spotlight, Ron Baker might drop significantly in the years to come. I seriously doubt he doesn't enter.
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#10 » by Talent Chaser » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:01 pm

He's a terrible defender, Andrew Harrison got to the basket at will vs him.
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#11 » by BlackOutBuzz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:57 pm

I haven't seen him, but based on the comps I now know he's white.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#12 » by TheNewEra » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:38 pm

Have not watched him all year outside of the game but how close overall is he to a Jodie Meeks comp? Just loved the way he and Early took control the game.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#13 » by No-Man » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:42 pm

He is a non defensive Hinrich/bigger Ridnour (Ridnour now, not the young Luke) type of player.
CBB_Fan
Senior
And1: 138

Post#14 » by CBB_Fan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:38 pm

Fischella wrote:He is a non defensive Hinrich/bigger Ridnour (Ridnour now, not the young Luke) type of player.

I think Hinrich is a decent comparison. Same build, college SG/NBA point, 3PT shooter. Baker isn't bad defensively though, he actually has higher block and steal numbers than Hinrich did at a similar age. And yes, he blocks shots pretty regularly, blocking at least one in 16 games this season and blocking multiple in 5 games. Some of that is competition (played a lot of small, white teams), but it is encouraging because it says he probably has pretty defensive instincts and athleticism.

Don't think he'll jump to the draft early though. Looks like a late 1st, early 2nd type player in 2015 or 2016 depending on how his next two years go.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#15 » by No-Man » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:40 pm

Hinrich is better as an athlete, not just more explosive, he is faster and more agile, he has better legs also.
I will take my chances with Baker in a late 1st, early 2nd.

He should declare this year.
CBB_Fan
Senior

Post#16 » by CBB_Fan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:37 pm

Fischella wrote:Hinrich is better as an athlete, not just more explosive, he is faster and more agile, he has better legs also.
I will take my chances with Baker in a late 1st, early 2nd.

He should declare this year.

I'm not sure on that. Baker has had some problems with foot and ankle injuries during his two years, and looked noticeably quicker and more explosive when healthy. Either way it wouldn't really affect him on offense, since so much of what he does comes down to his really quick release. It is mostly a cap on his defensive potential.

He should get an invite to the combine and plenty of time to heal up any nagging injuries, which should give him a chance to prove whether or not he is quicker than expected.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by Upperclass » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:38 pm

Talent Chaser wrote:He's a terrible defender, Andrew Harrison got to the basket at will vs him.

He stayed right in front of him every single drive. The problem with guarding the harrisons is that they are two of the strongest guards in the country aside from Kane. Plus Wichita St. has no rim protection, so all Andrew had to do was duck his shoulder and ride the defender. He tried to run through Baker late in the game too, on what shouldve been a charging call.

Also, I agree Hinrich was more athletic. Hinrich's lateral quickness was amongst the best in the nba at one point. That doesnt discredit Baker as an athlete however.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#18 » by Nolan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:48 pm

I like him as a college player, but he doesn't have a future in the NBA. He's not big enough to play the 2 and he doesn't have the quicks or the skills to play the point.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,766

Post#19 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:24 pm

Nick Calathes, perhaps?
CBB_Fan
Senior

Post#20 » by CBB_Fan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Nolan wrote:I like him as a college player, but he doesn't have a future in the NBA. He's not big enough to play the 2 and he doesn't have the quicks or the skills to play the point.

Like I said, very few people have seen him play healthy. He tries to force a lot of bad passes, but he has decent handles and good release on his shot. Skillwise, he probably can play point in the NBA. Heck, most PGs in the NBA are scoring guards without great passing skills or "pure" point abilities.

He'll hopefully have next year to show whether or not being healthy makes him any quicker. Regardless of what people may think from the UK game, he's considered a good perimeter defender. The Harrison twins weren't able to get around him in that game, so the problem wasn't speed. The twins were just really good at shooting through contact and over the top of the guys Wichita State put against them.

Hopefully he'll stay healthy next season and show whether or not he has the physical tools. A comparison could be made to a lot of players; earlier I mentioned Hinrich. I think Fredette could be another example; even Fredette is a better shot, I think Baker has better physical traits and was a better college distributor. And I think Baker's shot, though less accurate, will translate better to the NBA because of its speed.

Return to NBA Draft