TJ Warren

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

sgg001
Sophomore
And1: 14

TJ Warren 

Post#1 » by sgg001 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:38 pm

How is he not a lottery pick? 6'8'', 215 lbs. Big time scorer (24ppg), rebounds (7.1ppg) and shoots the ball well (50% last year, down to 25% last year....similar but better than G.Harris...)

Not sure I understand it. He shoots well, moves well, defends, has great size for the 3. Can someone explain what I'm missing?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: TJ Warren 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:42 pm

He is not a good shooter, he has a great touch, but he is an average athlete, his length also is just okay, he looks like a back-up combo forward, he is a good scorer in the midrange, can defend a little bit and is a good offensive rebounder.
I think he belongs in the late first 20-30.
Reminds me of Marcus Morris, less strength but better touch and midrange game.
I'd say that he is not a lottery pick because of the same reasons McDermott is not a lottery pick.
sgg001
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#3 » by sgg001 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:02 pm

He isn't a good athlete? Disagree. I like the Jeff Green comparison however he's more of a natural wing . He's also a good shooter with less volume and in more of a spot up role (eg at the next level). He shot 50% from 3 last year! And if you agree his touch is good then he clearly show aptitude to improve as a shooter...

The analysts are wrong on TJW....
No-Man
RealGM

Post#4 » by No-Man » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:39 pm

Green is a great athlete, not even close, Green is longer, faster, stronger and far more explosive.
He is streaky as a shooter, at least from long range, he has a good touch near the basket, pump fakes, etc, yep.
Green is 6'9 with a 7'1 wingspan, Warren 6'8 and 6'9.5, Green is a gazelle on the open court.
I think he is a rose rebounder and shooter, but better midrange scorer, more fluid, better defender (defensive awereness team defense) version of Marcus Morris.
Good scoring wing from the bench.
He barely shot 1 triple each game last year, that's not really something measurable.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#5 » by ManualRam » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:43 pm

not a great athlete, but he moves well without the ball, knows how to work the baseline, sliding into openings and creating passing angles for finishes, contributes on the o-glass, has a killer mid game with various quick releases and floaters. he's very slippery and plays to contact well. i think he projects to be a low maintenance scorer who doesn't have to have many plays run for him, but i don't see him being much outside of a scorer. does he really defend well? because he was a super weak defender last yr. even with the weight loss he still doesn't look all that quick or explosive. after trimming the fat this past summer, i think he'll have to muscle up so he has some sort of athletic advantage at the next level.
i'd probably have him somewhere in the low 20s, possibly high teens if others fall.

edit: as i re-read, it just dawned on me who that description sounded like: shabazz muhammad
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
No-Man
RealGM

Post#6 » by No-Man » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:56 pm

Muhammad is a better shooter and athlete I think.
I like Warren awareness on d, he plays the passing lanes and is a good team defender, he puts good effort, he is never going to be a good defender 1on1, lacks length and strength for that.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#7 » by SlowPaced » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:26 pm

He reminds me too much of DeShaun Thomas. Thomas was great in college but couldn't land a job in the NBA. T.J. Warren is a better version of him (worse shooter but has far better touch) but he might struggle in the professional level.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#8 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:04 am

Warren needs to become a better shooter, 0-3 3pt FGs, and 6-14 FTs cost his team, but man, dude can flat out score, and he is absolutely unstoppable in transition.

I like Warren quite a bit.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#9 » by ManualRam » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:10 am

he needs to destroy and rebuild that shot. i don't see how he can have any consistency with that thing.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#10 » by Jazzfan12 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:16 am

Warren is kind of like Shabazz if Shabazz had talent. I don't know how good that will be in the NBA though. So much cherry picking, such ridiculous floater %s, so many forced shots...
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#11 » by ManualRam » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:27 am

Jazzfan12 wrote:Warren is kind of like Shabazz if Shabazz had talent. I don't know how good that will be in the NBA though. So much cherry picking, such ridiculous floater %s, so many forced shots...

i think they're very similar talent-wise. both are naturally strong bodied wings with mediocre athleticism. tj is taller, but shabazz is longer.

skill-wise tj's more accurate with his floater and has better footwork, but i like shabazz' shot more than i like warren's.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#12 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:52 am

Like Ennis he has great feel for the game but may not be gifted enough outside of that. Also like most tweener-y SF PF in draft.If I'm him I consider staying in. If he was NPOY next season he could creep into lotto
reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Post#13 » by reignfire » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:28 am

He's no where near 6'8''. Closer to 6'5''-6'6''.

Really short arms.
toddlincoln
Junior
And1: 68

Post#14 » by toddlincoln » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:06 am

has quick hands but his foot speed on defense is not great. he leaks out well and has a huge motor though, and i think that's being underrated here. he scores off contact incredibly well for a college player. i think he's a 15-20 range pick (which is where everyone has him projected) just because he can finish in traffic so well.

i was thinking of gerald henderson without the athleticism
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#15 » by SBM » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:09 pm

Reminds me of Jordan Hamilton. I see him as a SF, he isn't a tweener as most try to label guys. His athletic ability is probably just as good or better than Jabari Parker's. The tourny was not good to Parker, Warren, nor McDermott. Out of those 3 I think McDermott is the one most likely to end up being the undersized stretch PF in the mold of Mike Scott. Jabari's ceiling is Pierce and Warren can be a better version of Jordan Hamilton.
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#16 » by Joseph17 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:08 am

He'll be a good role player in the NBA, but I'm not so sure he's worthy of being a lottery pick.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#17 » by doordoor123 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:13 pm

Joseph17 wrote:He'll be a good role player in the NBA, but I'm not so sure he's worthy of being a lottery pick.

Completely agree. There are too many other players that should have that spot.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#18 » by Marcus » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:29 pm

SBM wrote:Reminds me of Jordan Hamilton. I see him as a SF, he isn't a tweener as most try to label guys. His athletic ability is probably just as good or better than Jabari Parker's. The tourny was not good to Parker, Warren, nor McDermott. Out of those 3 I think McDermott is the one most likely to end up being the undersized stretch PF in the mold of Mike Scott. Jabari's ceiling is Pierce and Warren can be a better version of Jordan Hamilton.

Don't really see the Jordan Hamilton comparison. TJ doesn't have Jordan's range or shooting stroke, i'd say TJ handles the ball better and does a lot of his scoring with movement off the ball, midrange, and floaters. Jordan is more spotup. TJ reminds me of Antwan Jamison with the shot variety and Laker's Cedric Ceballos with his off ball movement.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY

Return to NBA Draft