The Future---->2014 to 2015 season and beyond

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

The Future---->2014 to 2015 season and beyond 

Post#1 » by Knighthonor » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:30 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RitVObQxRU[/youtube]

So after this season, what do the Wizards have to look forward to the Future?

Share the predictions of the good and the bad.
jeffsays
Rookie
And1: 150

Re: The Future---->2014 to 2015 season and beyond 

Post#2 » by jeffsays » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:04 pm

The good: john continues to grow and strengthen his game.

The bad: everyone else regresses and wittman will still be coach and Ernie will still be gm. The team ends up in the lottery again.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using RealGM Forums mobile app
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#3 » by FAH1223 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:18 pm

100% CHANCE we're in the lottery next year.

And I hope it happens to get some changes. This was a fool's gold season.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#4 » by Nivek » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:44 pm

I think it's pretty obvious the Wizards will go on a championship binge after this season. The young players will have seen what the playoffs are all about, the older players will work that much harder to preserve their bodies and remain productive into their 40s, and the team will ALWAYS have the wise leadership and player evaluation expertise of Ernie Grunfeld to consistently restock the roster with first-rate talent. Only thing that could stop the coming juggernaut is the cost of keeping this good a team together, and/or if the other owners get jealous after the Wizards have won nine, ten, twenty championships in a row.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#5 » by gtn130 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:03 pm

My only concern for the future is if Otto Porter will be content with a max deal and being the 3rd-4th superstar. We can't have another Harden situation like OKC, our western counterpart.
cwb3
Rookie
And1: 85

Post#6 » by cwb3 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:42 pm

Bleak? They jhave "peaked" this year into a ~.500 club with older players and uncertain paths for future growth.

The Wizards likely overpay and play the vets over younger players, and experience diminishing returns with little cap flexibility, while failing to develop the players.

Or we play our youngins' and wind up in the lottery again next year. Perhaps a better alternative if someone could have any confidence in the Wizards player development process.

The Wizards need a better front office and coaching staff, but will likely re-up both due to limping into the playoffs with a barely .500 record.
montestewart wrote:Players really should wait until they're rookie coaches to become GMs.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#7 » by mohammed10 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:54 pm

FAH1223 wrote:100% CHANCE we're in the lottery next year.

And I hope it happens to get some changes. This was a fool's gold season.

Fool's gold? Struggling to make playoffs in a watered down East is not gold. I'd say it is the equivalent of copper!
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#8 » by pineappleheadindc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:22 pm

Nivek wrote:I think it's pretty obvious the Wizards will go on a championship binge after this season. The young players will have seen what the playoffs are all about, the older players will work that much harder to preserve their bodies and remain productive into theirs 40s, and the team will ALWAYS have the wise leadership and player evaluation expertise of Ernie Grunfeld to consistently restock the roster with first-rate talent. Only thing that could stop the coming juggernaut is the cost of keeping this good a team together, and/or if the other owners get jealous after the Wizards have won nine, ten, twenty championships in a row.

Fixed this for you, Kev.

I'm gonna come back to this thread later to post my Ted-like blogpost about how we need to build the team for multiple championships. (That and also urinal cakes. You can't forget them urinal cakes).
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#9 » by payitforward » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:24 pm

Next year when old players are injured and we don't achieve much (again! -- hope no one thinks we've achieved much this year), Ernie will say as he has so many times "when we're healthy we can compete with anyone."

Or to put it differently -- we don't have many paths to improve. Until Nene is gone and Ernie is gone.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Nivek » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:31 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:
Nivek wrote:I think it's pretty obvious the Wizards will go on a championship binge after this season. The young players will have seen what the playoffs are all about, the older players will work that much harder to preserve their bodies and remain productive into theirs 40s, and the team will ALWAYS have the wise leadership and player evaluation expertise of Ernie Grunfeld to consistently restock the roster with first-rate talent. Only thing that could stop the coming juggernaut is the cost of keeping this good a team together, and/or if the other owners get jealous after the Wizards have won nine, ten, twenty championships in a row.

Fixed this for you, Kev.

I'm gonna come back to this thread later to post my Ted-like blogpost about how we need to build the team for multiple championships. (That and also urinal cakes. You can't forget them urinal cakes).

You're probably the guy who "fixes" the Mona Lisa by penciling in a mustache. :noway:
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#11 » by Upper Decker » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:43 pm

My first concern is how will EG be able to pay both Booker and Seraphin the max while also successfully wooing Vesely back to DC via free agency?

Also, since the Wizards will be so dominate in the future EG won't be able to gift away future 1st round picks because they won't carry the same value they did as in times of old. Gasp...Washington might have to use their first round selections in future years, how will EG be able to pay for all these talented players?!
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#12 » by Benjammin » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:34 pm

Nivek wrote:
pineappleheadindc wrote:

Fixed this for you, Kev.

You're probably the guy who "fixes" the Mona Lisa by penciling in a mustache. :noway:

Seriously, if you have to put in green, why bother?
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#13 » by pineappleheadindc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:12 pm

I am chastised and forlorn.

:-(
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"

- Yoda
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#14 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Nivek wrote:
pineappleheadindc wrote:

Fixed this for you, Kev.

In Pine's defense, he first tried it out by fotoshopping mustaches on the LuvaBulls, and it seemed to help there, so he probably figured - why not?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#15 » by leswizards » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:21 pm

There are too many unknowns. Will EG be back? Most likely. Do the Wizards resign Gortat and Ariza, or do they target others? They most likely resign Ariza, and they make a play for Monroe, but end up with Gortat again?

If that is the way the off season goes, the Wizards only path to improvement is for Porter, Beal and Wall to make huge strides. It could happen, but I think the three of them will continue to see minimal improvement.

If EG gets canned, and the Wizards surprise us with how they spend their money, things could change drastically.
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#16 » by leswizards » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:38 pm

I should also add that Ariza is most likely going to regress to his career norms. And when he does, his signing is not going to look as good as many hoped.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#17 » by montestewart » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:07 am

The Wizards end this season on a 13-game losing streak, miss the playoffs, but silence criticism of losing a 1st rounder in the deepest draft of any sport ever. Theo the Lyin' attributes the team's failure to injuries, not EG, whose contract is renewed for another three years. Wizards luck out and move up in the draft, picking 3rd again, where they choose Marcus Smart, because he can back up either position, he sounds smart, he's the rookie equivalent to a veteran ("a coach on the floor"), they had injury concerns with Embiid and Randle (hangnail), EG had never been to Australia so he couldn't scout Exum, and everyone in the front office was on the same page with the Smart pick (the keep calling it "the Smart pick"), and some other reasons that no one could understand. Gortat signs elsewhere, everyone pretends that was the plan all along. Porter has a season ending injury in the offseason, so Ariza is signed to a 4 year/$40 million deal. Booker and Gooden get 3 year/$12 million deals. Ariza, Booker and Gooden proceed to show that their best years are behind them. Nene has three season ending injuries in one year. Beal has a season ending injury, but to everyone's disappointment, he comes back. Center is largely manned by Charles Jones de jours. The team totally sucks, but Wall has an all-NBA year and leads them to an only slightly worse record, bad enough to miss the playoffs, but good enough to lose the 2015 pick. Wall is angry that the team drafted a point guard, and is tired of losing: "I know we have to earn our wins, and I don't mind sucking it up, but when the front office keeps making questionable moves…maybe I'm in the wrong city." The next year EG makes a blockbuster trade that moves Nene and Ariza for, I don't know, Bogut or somebody, and Terd posts that he enjoys the smell of chastened, know-nothing fans. In 2016, the team finally makes it to the playoffs as an 8th seed, and Leoni proclaims "We have arrived!" and states that this is exactly according to the timetable that he had laid out with full transparency countless times. He raises ticket prices again and resigns EG for another three years. The team is swept in 4 games, all by double digit margins, the last a 124-83 massacre on their home court. At the beginning of 2016-2017, Wall starts agitating for a trade, and EG drags his heels so long that when he finally moves Wall, the Wizards get a nothing prospect, a tired veteran, and a late 1st round pick in return. Did I mention that the team either sells, trades away, or stashes in perpetuity every 2nd round pick? I don't think any of this merits green font at all.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Nivek » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:15 pm

montestewart wrote:The Wizards end this season on a 13-game losing streak, miss the playoffs, but silence criticism of losing a 1st rounder in the deepest draft of any sport ever. Theo the Lyin' attributes the team's failure to injuries, not EG, whose contract is renewed for another three years. Wizards luck out and move up in the draft, picking 3rd again, where they choose Marcus Smart, because he can back up either position, he sounds smart, he's the rookie equivalent to a veteran ("a coach on the floor"), they had injury concerns with Embiid and Randle (hangnail), EG had never been to Australia so he couldn't scout Exum, and everyone in the front office was on the same page with the Smart pick (the keep calling it "the Smart pick"), and some other reasons that no one could understand. Gortat signs elsewhere, everyone pretends that was the plan all along. Porter has a season ending injury in the offseason, so Ariza is signed to a 4 year/$40 million deal. Booker and Gooden get 3 year/$12 million deals. Ariza, Booker and Gooden proceed to show that their best years are behind them. Nene has three season ending injuries in one year. Beal has a season ending injury, but to everyone's disappointment, he comes back. Center is largely manned by Charles Jones de jours. The team totally sucks, but Wall has an all-NBA year and leads them to an only slightly worse record, bad enough to miss the playoffs, but good enough to lose the 2015 pick. Wall is angry that the team drafted a point guard, and is tired of losing: "I know we have to earn our wins, and I don't mind sucking it up, but when the front office keeps making questionable moves…maybe I'm in the wrong city." The next year EG makes a blockbuster trade that moves Nene and Ariza for, I don't know, Bogut or somebody, and Terd posts that he enjoys the smell of chastened, know-nothing fans. In 2016, the team finally makes it to the playoffs as an 8th seed, and Leoni proclaims "We have arrived!" and states that this is exactly according to the timetable that he had laid out with full transparency countless times. He raises ticket prices again and resigns EG for another three years. The team is swept in 4 games, all by double digit margins, the last a 124-83 massacre on their home court. At the beginning of 2016-2017, Wall starts agitating for a trade, and EG drags his heels so long that when he finally moves Wall, the Wizards get a nothing prospect, a tired veteran, and a late 1st round pick in return. Did I mention that the team either sells, trades away, or stashes in perpetuity every 2nd round pick? I don't think any of this merits green font at all.

This one goes in the HOF.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

BarnabyJones
Sixth Man
And1: 292

Post#19 » by BarnabyJones » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:03 pm

montestewart wrote:The Wizards end this season on a 13-game losing streak, miss the playoffs, but silence criticism of losing a 1st rounder in the deepest draft of any sport ever. Theo the Lyin' attributes the team's failure to injuries, not EG, whose contract is renewed for another three years. Wizards luck out and move up in the draft, picking 3rd again, where they choose Marcus Smart, because he can back up either position, he sounds smart, he's the rookie equivalent to a veteran ("a coach on the floor"), they had injury concerns with Embiid and Randle (hangnail), EG had never been to Australia so he couldn't scout Exum, and everyone in the front office was on the same page with the Smart pick (the keep calling it "the Smart pick"), and some other reasons that no one could understand. Gortat signs elsewhere, everyone pretends that was the plan all along. Porter has a season ending injury in the offseason, so Ariza is signed to a 4 year/$40 million deal. Booker and Gooden get 3 year/$12 million deals. Ariza, Booker and Gooden proceed to show that their best years are behind them. Nene has three season ending injuries in one year. Beal has a season ending injury, but to everyone's disappointment, he comes back. Center is largely manned by Charles Jones de jours. The team totally sucks, but Wall has an all-NBA year and leads them to an only slightly worse record, bad enough to miss the playoffs, but good enough to lose the 2015 pick. Wall is angry that the team drafted a point guard, and is tired of losing: "I know we have to earn our wins, and I don't mind sucking it up, but when the front office keeps making questionable moves…maybe I'm in the wrong city." The next year EG makes a blockbuster trade that moves Nene and Ariza for, I don't know, Bogut or somebody, and Terd posts that he enjoys the smell of chastened, know-nothing fans. In 2016, the team finally makes it to the playoffs as an 8th seed, and Leoni proclaims "We have arrived!" and states that this is exactly according to the timetable that he had laid out with full transparency countless times. He raises ticket prices again and resigns EG for another three years. The team is swept in 4 games, all by double digit margins, the last a 124-83 massacre on their home court. At the beginning of 2016-2017, Wall starts agitating for a trade, and EG drags his heels so long that when he finally moves Wall, the Wizards get a nothing prospect, a tired veteran, and a late 1st round pick in return. Did I mention that the team either sells, trades away, or stashes in perpetuity every 2nd round pick? I don't think any of this merits green font at all.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”― Mark Twain

Return to Washington Wizards