Frank Kaminsky

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Frank Kaminsky 

Post#1 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 3, 2014 2:48 am

I've been a huge fan since his big 43 point game, but he has been so inconsistent with some terrible games. I think he's going to somehow get shut out next round and all the hype around him will be gone.

My friends who watched him play for the first time in the last game love him. They think he's the next Dirk and think he takes the league by storm.

He DOES have great post play and he can hit shots, but he can't really rebound, doesn't have a great horizontal footwork on defense and isn't really athletic. I think the length of his arms puts him at a disability finishing with other big defenders on him. I don't really know how he is going to translate at the next level. One thing is for sure, he's a brilliant, patient player. How far can that take him though?

What do you guys think of him in terms of drafting and fitting into the NBA?
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Re: Frank Kaminsky 

Post#2 » by TheOGJabroni » Thu Apr 3, 2014 3:01 pm

I really don't know his game that well and don't think he'll be as good as the player I'm about to mention, but could people see a slightly smaller, poor man's Big Z?
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#3 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Thu Apr 3, 2014 4:26 pm

Raef LaFrentz type
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#4 » by ackypoo » Thu Apr 3, 2014 8:30 pm

hes not very strong, he cant rebound at all..its pathetic. his post d isnt very good.

offensively tho, he could be good. he has a good shot, his post game isnt all that bad.

hes put up similar numbers to former uw player jon leuer. leuer was a better prospect. if you wanted to make dirk comparisons, that was the guy from uw you could have made dirk comparisons too.
Mr Grant Hill
Sixth Man
And1: 102

Post#5 » by Mr Grant Hill » Thu Apr 3, 2014 10:14 pm

will he even declare for the draft?

he totally reminds me of olynyk. played point, then growth spurt -> shooting big man including rebounding deficits.
maybe a spencer hawes type player?
don't know why people always come up with this dirk comparison. a guy like kaminsky wasn't even in the draft conversation for most parts of his college career. next thing you know is he's an mvp/finals mvp type player? please.
Wake up, girl. I wanna go surfing.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#6 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Apr 3, 2014 11:03 pm

Hawes is a good comparison
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#7 » by reanimator » Thu Apr 3, 2014 11:40 pm

Hawes is a much better passer than Kaminsky
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#8 » by Johnlac1 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 12:57 am

doordoor123 wrote:I've been a huge fan since his big 43 point game, but he has been so inconsistent with some terrible games. I think he's going to somehow get shut out next round and all the hype around him will be gone.

My friends who watched him play for the first time in the last game love him. They think he's the next Dirk and think he takes the league by storm.

He DOES have great post play and he can hit shots, but he can't really rebound, doesn't have a great horizontal footwork on defense and isn't really athletic. I think the length of his arms puts him at a disability finishing with other big defenders on him. I don't really know how he is going to translate at the next level. One thing is for sure, he's a brilliant, patient player. How far can that take him though?

What do you guys think of him in terms of drafting and fitting into the NBA?

While Frank is more athletic than you think, he's not in Dirk's territory when Dirk was a rookie. Not very strong either. Center is his best position, but he's not strong enough to play there in the pros, and not quick enough to guard fours. I hope for the best, and maybe he'll prove me wrong.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by doordoor123 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 1:20 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Hawes is a good comparison

Kaminsky has a better post game and Hawes can rebound better. Kaminsky is also more aggressive (even though he's less strong). Kaminsky isn't afraid to go to the basket (even if he misses), but Hawes shoots jump shots way too much. Kaminsky only takes open shots (that's why he only takes threes if the other team gives him threes). He might be the smarter player of the two.
:wave:

I feel like saying Hawes compares is generalizing because he's around the same height, white and shoots the ball a lot.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,217

Post#10 » by EvanZ » Fri Apr 4, 2014 10:16 pm

Worse rebounding Troy Murphy?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by doordoor123 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 10:34 pm

EvanZ wrote:Worse rebounding Troy Murphy?

That's an okay comparison. Murphy is quicker, more athletic, but Kaminsky is stronger and has a much better post game.

Can't comment on length and size. :lol: But I'm ASSUMING Murphy is longer while Kaminsky is taller.

Kaminsky also really only takes uncontested threes while Murphy can take them contested. Murphy is probably a better shooter while Kaminsky is better around the rim (only by a bit though).

Kaminsky might also have a better center of gravity than Murphy. It's clear in his post game, but not in his rebounding. Might be able to develop as a better rebounder. Just needs better guidance in that department.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#12 » by Johnlac1 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 11:24 pm

Frank has one more year of college elibility...and he just turned 21 today. So it's possible he might improve in all areas before he decides to play pro ball. I would guess he'll have to make further improvement to be an effective pro player.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#13 » by Kevin Willis » Sat Apr 5, 2014 4:36 am

Very poor man's lamarcus Aldridge. Good post game. Many offensive weapons. Not overly athletic. Crafty. Average rebounder.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#14 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Apr 5, 2014 7:40 am

Don't know why I didn't realize the best comparison better. Nikola Vucevic
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#15 » by Jazzfan12 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 1:14 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Don't know why I didn't realize the best comparison better. Nikola Vucevic

Because Vucevic's best skill by far is rebounding?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by doordoor123 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 4:39 pm

Jazzfan12 wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:Don't know why I didn't realize the best comparison better. Nikola Vucevic

:falloff:
Yeah, I don't think Vucevic is a good comparison.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#17 » by Kevin Willis » Sat Apr 5, 2014 5:19 pm

Jazzfan12 wrote:

Yeah you beat me to it. He is not even the best rebounder on his team. Vucevic also has a limited offensive game and is a better rebounder.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Blast Tyrant
Banned User
And1: 3,059

Post#18 » by Blast Tyrant » Sat Apr 5, 2014 6:23 pm

These comparisons are TERRIBLE. Why must he be compared to white guys?

I'd honestly say he plays a lot like Channing Frye.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voGZv5ZEVs0[/youtube]
Pan Jia Yuan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,859

Post#19 » by Pan Jia Yuan » Sat Apr 5, 2014 8:26 pm

OP didn't even ask for comparisons.

Late first round pick, will struggle to stay in the league.
I've come to the conclusion that most folks don't really care that you broke one of the rules... they just enjoy telling you that you broke it.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#20 » by bwgood77 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 11:03 pm

During AZ, he looked like Dirk from outside and Pau Gasol on the inside. Of course, those are extreme comparisons he will never reach. Hawes is a pretty good comp.

I like the guy. He really needs to beef up (but then again, it hasn't really hurt Dirk, Pau or Durant being scrawny).

Here is what the espn insiders said about him...

What is Frank Kaminsky's NBA outlook?

Pelton: Despite not being in the top 40 (on Ford's draft board), Kaminsky is just outside the top 10 in WARP projection. One of the unique features of my WARP system is that it credits players for simply attempting 3s because of the floor spacing they provide. That's particularly important in the case of big men who are a threat from 3-point range, as Kaminsky has become this season (he averages one 3-pointer per game on 37.8 percent shooting). Kaminsky is a threat closer to the hoop, too; he made just one triple in wins over Oregon and Baylor before hitting three in the regional final against Arizona, but still combined for 38 points in wins over the Ducks and Bears, making 15-of-21 2-point attempts.

While Frank Kaminsky's offense has impressed NBA scouts, his defense could hurt his draft stock.
Of course, Kaminsky's offensive prowess is nothing new. Scouts have been skeptical because of the other end of the floor. Though he blocks shots well, Kaminsky projects to rebound like a small forward, and he doesn't appear to have the strength to defend the post. Can NBA teams hide him enough defensively to take advantage of his shooting?

Ford: That's the question. As you point out, NBA teams are always intrigued by bigs who can stretch the floor. It's why Adreian Payne ranks so highly for so many teams. Unlike Payne, however, Kaminsky is more one-dimensional. He's a skilled big man who can stretch the defense and has a soft touch around the basket, but his lack of strength hurts him on the defensive end. He doesn't rebound. And while he's a solid shot-blocker, he doesn't have the quickness to guard many of the 4s in the game or the strength to hold his own in the block.

I wonder if Kaminsky can be a Channing Frye-type player in the NBA. If he can, than he's ranked too low on our Big Board right now. His stock has risen pretty dramatically during the tournament, but Kaminsky's still in the second round right now on our Big Board. Another big weekend for him could easily catapult him into the first round. The analytics guys already love him, as you've pointed out, and his performance on the big stage is helping the scouts get on board as well.

Return to NBA Draft