Alessandro Gentile

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Alessandro Gentile 

Post#1 » by Kevin Willis » Wed Apr 9, 2014 9:33 pm

Anyone know anything about this player? Apparently he's leading his team in the Italian league and he has a game like Melo. He's also moving up on draft boards, sounds interesting for a draft and stash candidate.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Alessandro Gentile 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Wed Apr 9, 2014 10:17 pm

i've only seen him in int'l competition with italy where he looked like kind of a physical gunner, but he plays a different role for his domestic team.

this is a good video scouting report. they might not look similar in the way they handle the ball, but a lot of this reads like a lesser version of evan turner.
big bodied, physical wing, not athletic, ball-dominant, doesn't shoot it well, but decent pnr playermaker with a lot of moxy. i don't see how his game translates. i think its more likely he becomes a euroleague stud.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVOgIB-YaB8[/youtube]
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Chriscross
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,190

Post#3 » by Chriscross » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:54 am

Watched some vids and read a few scouting reports on him

His main weakness will probably prevent him from becoming a regular NBA player. Weak lateral movement so he will have tons of trouble staying in front of his man. His shooting is iffy as well (particularly from long-range). Likes that mid-range jumper and decent pnr guy

I don't see him doing anything particular well for him to stay in the league either
Love List
Drazen Petrovic
Pete Maravich
Stephen Curry
Jusuf Nurkic
Apollo64
Starter
And1: 724

Post#4 » by Apollo64 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:35 am

I am very surprised by how low he is in most mocks and i expect him to rise to late 1st/early 2nd at some point.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#5 » by ManualRam » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:53 pm

Apollo64 wrote:I am very surprised by how low he is in most mocks and i expect him to rise to late 1st/early 2nd at some point.

why should he go higher? what part of his game looks translatable to you?
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Apollo64
Starter

Post#6 » by Apollo64 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:16 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Apollo64 wrote:I am very surprised by how low he is in most mocks and i expect him to rise to late 1st/early 2nd at some point.

He had a very good Eurobasket, plus he's playing well for the current season's surprise team in Euroleague (Armani Jeans Milano - they might make it to the Final Four). His numbers may give the impression that he's not that efficient, but he is playing in a system where there is a lot of heroball and players are expected to create offense for themselves. I've seen him in a number of games just tearing up good defenses (something rare for a 21-year in Europe). He is slow, but he has a Paul Pierce quality in his game and he's able to take and make tough shots. Defense is somewhat of a concern. If his team wins the Italian league as predicted and makes the Euroleague Final Four, i think his stock will rise.
Apollo64
Starter

Post#7 » by Apollo64 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Apollo64 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

He had a very good Eurobasket, plus he's playing well for the current season's surprise team in Euroleague (Armani Jeans Milano - they might make it to the Final Four). His numbers may give the impression that he's not that efficient, but he is playing in a system where there is a lot of heroball and players are expected to create offense for themselves. I've seen him in a number of games just tearing up good defenses (something rare for a 21-year in Europe). He is slow, but he has a Paul Pierce-type quality in his game and he's able to take and make tough shots. Defense is somewhat of a concern. If his team wins the Italian league as predicted and makes the Euroleague Final Four, i think his stock will rise.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#8 » by ManualRam » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Apollo64 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

He had a very good Eurobasket, plus he's playing well for the current season's surprise team in Euroleague (Armani Jeans Milano - they might make it to the Final Four). His numbers may give the impression that he's not that efficient, but he is playing in a system where there is a lot of heroball and players are expected to create offense for themselves. I've seen him in a number of games just tearing up good defenses (something rare for a 21-year in Europe). He is slow, but he has a Paul Pierce quality in his game and he's able to take and make tough shots. Defense is somewhat of a concern. If his team wins the Italian league as predicted and makes the Euroleague Final Four, i think his stock will rise.

isn't he a part of the "heroball" problem? he looks ball-dominant and i don't think he'd be able to be that in the nba, which would relegate him to being an off-the-ball player. he doesn't look like a good off the ball player.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Apollo64
Starter

Post#9 » by Apollo64 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:02 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Apollo64 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:why should he go higher? what part of his game looks translatable to you?

isn't he a part of the "heroball" problem? he looks ball-dominant and i don't think he'd be able to be that in the nba, which would relegate him to being an off-the-ball player. he doesn't look like a good off the ball player.

Well, italian basketball is very heroball and iso-heavy, so he is not doing anything out of the norm. Not sure how his game and tendencies would translate, but he should definitely be given a chance. Btw, he plays off the ball well and hits his open shots. That scout report (along with others from this guy) may not give a complete picture imo.

I like those highlights from the game vs Spain in Eurobasket, shows well what type of player he is.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykG2H8PtQa8[/youtube]
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#10 » by ManualRam » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:40 pm

yes, i saw him in int'l competition, which is what gave me the impression that he was a physical gunner. that's actually the only setting i've seen him in a far as full games.

he shot better in those games, but it could've been a hot streak. i'm not crazy about his form. he shoots a hard, flat ball with very little elevation. his release is inconsistent too.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Apollo64
Starter

Post#11 » by Apollo64 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:37 am

ManualRam wrote:yes, i saw him in int'l competition, which is what gave me the impression that he was a physical gunner. that's actually the only setting i've seen him in a far as full games.

he shot better in those games, but it could've been a hot streak. i'm not crazy about his form. he shoots a hard, flat ball with very little elevation. his release is inconsistent too.

His flat release is very noticeable, i think that he uses that mainly when he's open and has a higher arc shot for other situations. Not sure if it's a consistency issue or he's trying to emulate some old school euro shooters who had different type of shots. At least the flat one is fast and goes in, even though it looks weird.
Toxicity
Analyst
And1: 39

Post#12 » by Toxicity » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:26 pm

No buzz about him?

I think he's a sleeper and a lock for a 2nd round pick (despite what DX thinks)... yesterday great game 6 at Siena (23 pts, 7 rebs) to tie the Italian Finals series 3-3.
hound101
Junior
And1: 256

Post#13 » by hound101 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:07 pm

Honestly, all I know about him is that he ain't a Jew which ain't all that exciting.
Toxicity
Analyst
And1: 39

Post#14 » by Toxicity » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:17 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGVVIrqDcGg[/youtube]
dabonett
Senior
And1: 365

Post#15 » by dabonett » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:02 pm

Saw him monday live and yesterday on tv. Monday he did not show up. Yesterday was a monster. However... He is the italian version of Carmelo. A poor's man carmelo... Could play as point forward and stretch 4. Good choice in the middle of the second round. Main weakness in offense is that He could be a ball hog. On defense limited lateral movements. Big and tall. Listed 6 and 6, he is is in reality less than 1 inch shorter than samardo samuels.
Apollo64
Starter

Post#16 » by Apollo64 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:23 pm

He got injured at a crucial time and missed the Euroleague playoffs. After that he kinda drifted off the mocks. Still puzzled why he isn't around 30 in mocks, maybe there is something that we don't know.
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#17 » by Novocaine » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:33 pm

He's worth a 2nd rounder -I don't rate him very highly as a NBA prospect because he's so fiercely committed to put up shots but there's some talent in there and maybe he matures into a more well-rounded player- but why would he want that? Becoming a free-agent would be the most favourable status for him.
Apollo64
Starter

Post#18 » by Apollo64 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:53 pm

Finals MVP in the Italian League at his age, not bad.

Return to NBA Draft