Marcus Smart comparisons

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#21 » by Talent Chaser » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:50 pm

His career will depend on his ability to develop a 3 point shot and his ability to draw FT's at a high rate, the defense is already there. That's scary though; his mechanics aren't very impressive and he isn't a jaw-dropping athlete that will get to the rim at will. I'm not too sold on him; he needs to be drafted to a team that knows he will not be the primary ball-handler. He could be an excellent 6th man.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#22 » by Ruzious » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:35 pm

Stuckey is the best comp mentioned, but that's not to say that he'll be limited to how good Stuckey is. He can become a rich man's Stuckey.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
The Prodigy
Starter
And1: 469

Post#23 » by The Prodigy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:41 pm

Talent Chaser wrote:His career will depend on his ability to develop a 3 point shot and his ability to draw FT's at a high rate, the defense is already there. That's scary though; his mechanics aren't very impressive and he isn't a jaw-dropping athlete that will get to the rim at will. I'm not too sold on him; he needs to be drafted to a team that knows he will not be the primary ball-handler. He could be an excellent 6th man.

This is often the case with young players but Smart's upside is very dependent on his outside shot. As has already been said, he's not particularly athletic or crafty as a ball handler. Strength and toughness alone will not make him an adequate offensive player at the NBA level.

If he develops a reliable outside shot to go with his defense and semi-PG skills he could be a pretty solid player. I'm no mechanics expert but his jumpshot doesn't look too bad.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#24 » by Cammo101 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:09 pm

I think Wade is still the best comparison. I'm not saying he will end up as good or even close to Wade, but his style of play is very similar to Wade's coming out of college. They both are combo guards who attack the basket and guys who play very hard and throw their bodies around.
The Prodigy
Starter

Post#25 » by The Prodigy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Cammo101 wrote:I think Wade is still the best comparison. I'm not saying he will end up as good or even close to Wade, but his style of play is very similar to Wade's coming out of college. They both are combo guards who attack the basket and guys who play very hard and throw their bodies around.

The thing is that Wade has/had physical tools that Smart just doesn't have. This makes them very different players.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#26 » by ManualRam » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:32 pm

The Prodigy wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:I think Wade is still the best comparison. I'm not saying he will end up as good or even close to Wade, but his style of play is very similar to Wade's coming out of college. They both are combo guards who attack the basket and guys who play very hard and throw their bodies around.

The thing is that Wade has/had physical tools that Smart just doesn't have.

and skill too. wade was a much better handler, finisher and shot-maker who plays with more deception as well. wade's game is a great combination of power and finesse with his handle, footwork, fakes, body control and spontaneity. smart's offensive game is kinda brutish.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
The Prodigy
Starter

Post#27 » by The Prodigy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:37 pm

ManualRam wrote:
The Prodigy wrote:

and skill too. wade was a much better handler, finisher and shot-maker who plays with more deception as well. wade's game is a great combination of power and finesse with his handle, footwork, fakes, body control and spontaneity. smart's offensive game is kinda brutish.

True, although some of his finishing advantages are due to superior athleticism. But yeah, Wade is/was more skilled as well. Not a good comp for Smart.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#28 » by Cammo101 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:26 pm

ManualRam wrote:
The Prodigy wrote:

That is Wade now. He was not nearly that polished coming out of Marquette. It is not a perfect comparison, but these never are. I don't think it is that far off either. A lot of these skills Wade has were developed and honed in the NBA.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#29 » by ManualRam » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:30 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
The Prodigy wrote:

That is Wade now. He was not nearly that polished coming out of Marquette. It is not a perfect comparison, but these never are. I don't think it is that far off either. A lot of these skills Wade has were developed and honed in the NBA.

no but he was definitely more skilled than smart was coming out of college. the handle, quickness, body-control, footwork and creativity, all the ingredients to being an exceptional slasher, were there. his problem coming of college was that he was strictly a slasher. he built off of that slashing ability to become a more complete player, but the initial tools and skill exceed where smart is at now.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#30 » by Marcus » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:41 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:and skill too. wade was a much better handler, finisher and shot-maker who plays with more deception as well. wade's game is a great combination of power and finesse with his handle, footwork, fakes, body control and spontaneity. smart's offensive game is kinda brutish.

no but he was definitely more skilled than smart was coming out of college. the handle, quickness, body-control, footwork and creativity, all the ingredients to being an exceptional slasher, were there. his problem coming of college was that he was strictly a slasher. he built off of that slashing ability to become a more complete player, but the initial tools and skill exceed where smart is at now.

even thinking back to Wade's rookie year he wasn't as impatient and played under more control than Smart does. I hope Marcus makes the adjustments and adapts to the league. I do think he can and will in time, i think he has the talent and drive to do it. Question is what type of player will he be in the league, an All-star type talent or just a very solid player contributing to a winning team?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#31 » by Johnlac1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:51 pm

BoutPractice wrote:There's a lot of negativity around him as a prospect due to the "incident" and the comfortable comparison to Rodney Stuckey, but imo it shouldn't factor into his evaluation as a prospect.

Almost everyone seems to no longer consider the possibility he might be a star or more. But you're still looking at a 6'4 guard, 6'8 wingspan, strong and quick, total stat sheet stuffer (racks up a lot of steals and rebounds, advanced stats like him too), potential defensive nightmare (though many players first drafted for their defensive potential actually don't convert on that front but turn out to be offensive juggernauts, possibly because defensive potential is also a proxy for qualities that become very important in the NBA on offense), highly confident, aggressive and determined to succeed. Jump shot might be fixable, and even if it's not, there's still a lot to like about him.

Good description. Needs work, but people forget he's still pretty young. His defensive potential is excellent. A guard who can cover both sgs and pgs. Not a great shooter but can get to the basket. Better passer than people think. Desire up the wazoo. I like him a lot.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#32 » by Winglish » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:22 pm

Smart's body movements when running, dribbling, and shooting remind me of Andre Miller.
jmnvcavs
Rookie
And1: 944

Post#33 » by jmnvcavs » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:25 am

Stronger Larry Hughes
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#34 » by A_dub06 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:57 am

Golabki wrote:I think people overreact to smart's bad 3s. Yes, he takes too many contested jump shots.

But that's one of the easiest problems to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I guess you have never seen josh smith play?
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#35 » by Golabki » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:44 am

A_dub06 wrote:
Golabki wrote:I think people overreact to smart's bad 3s. Yes, he takes too many contested jump shots.

first, smart has the profile of a guard that will eventually become a solid shooter. He's likely to get there although you are right that it's not a guarantee.

Second, smith is another example of a guy where people overreact to his bad shots. Smith was a top 5 PF in the nba an best player on multiple playoff teams until a dumb team made him sf.

Third, when smith has been in good situations he's been able to control the shot selection issues. Smart taking a couple bad threes a game on a trash okst as a teenager is different situation than where I hope he'll be in two years.

bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#36 » by bigboi » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:05 pm

Uhh no, Smart is all power. Wade was an exclusively elusive player until recently. Smart's best comparison is Iman Shumpert and even still I don't think Smart is the ballhandler that Shumpert is.
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#37 » by ManualRam » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:13 pm

Golabki wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:

first, smart has the profile of a guard that will eventually become a solid shooter. He's likely to get there although you are right that it's not a guarantee.

Second, smith is another example of a guy where people overreact to his bad shots. Smith was a top 5 PF in the nba an best player on multiple playoff teams until a dumb team made him sf.

Third, when smith has been in good situations he's been able to control the shot selection issues. Smart taking a couple bad threes a game on a trash okst as a teenager is different situation than where I hope he'll be in two years.

what is the indication that smart will eventually become a solid shooter? it's not technique, his improvement from 1 yr to the next or improvement in shot selection. his FT% doesn't indicate that the purity of his stroke is better than what his % from distance or even from 2 pt jumpers (31%) would say. he shoots a flat, hard ball with inconsistent mechanics, release point and he takes bad shots.
ok st was not a garbage team either so that doesn't excuse his shot selection.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#38 » by No-Man » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:17 pm

Well OK St. was a bad team, with no presence inside whatsoever and a band of chuckers, like Forte or Nash, the only solid player they got other than Smart was Markel Brown.
I think Ford gave Smart too much freedom also, he needs to be contained in offense and a role to succeed.
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#39 » by Agnostifarian » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:25 pm

Fischella wrote:Well OK St. was a bad team, with no presence inside whatsoever and a band of chuckers, like Forte or Nash, the only solid player they got other than Smart was Markel Brown.
I think Ford gave Smart too much freedom also, he needs to be contained in offense and a role to succeed.

Forte is an awesome little chucker, though!!!
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#40 » by bigboi » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:58 pm

Fischella wrote:Well OK St. was a bad team, with no presence inside whatsoever and a band of chuckers, like Forte or Nash, the only solid player they got other than Smart was Markel Brown.

It doesn't help when the PG is a chucker himself and has no real play making skills
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.

Return to NBA Draft