whats mitch mcgary ceiling?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

avon barksdale
Banned User
And1: 70

whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#1 » by avon barksdale » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:26 pm

What level of prospect do u see him it seems like he's a Jared willinger type solid backup pf who'll struggle to defend at the pro level
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:34 pm

varejao.
defensively he's very physical in the post and has good feet moving in space as well. length vs C's could be an issue though, but mcgary's strong and physical so im sure he'll do his best to root post players out of their sweet spots, forcing them into tougher shots from further away. he's not a shot-blocker but i think he'll be a charge taker.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
jmnvcavs
Rookie
And1: 947

Post#3 » by jmnvcavs » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:23 pm

McGary is nothing like Sullinger and he is a physical defender.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#4 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:42 pm

I like the comp to Sideshow V, and I'd say somewhere between Varejao and Nene. He's got more feel for the offensive end than Varejao, but he's not as skilled as Nene. It appears that he's just as injury-prone as they've been.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#5 » by ManualRam » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:14 pm

Ruzious wrote:I like the comp to Sideshow V, and I'd say somewhere between Varejao and Nene. He's got more feel for the offensive end than Varejao, but he's not as skilled as Nene. It appears that he's just as injury-prone as they've been.

varejao has a really good feel for the game though. it just took him a while to develop mid-range J. he could always handle and pass well for a big stemming from growing up as a PG. he's always been well-versed in the PnR game as well.

i could see mcgary playing a similar role. tons of screens, crashing the o-glass, lots of pnr and being used as a high post passing hub.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,891

Post#6 » by Shock Defeat » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:18 pm

pretty high
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,009

Post#7 » by mattg » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:35 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I like the comp to Sideshow V, and I'd say somewhere between Varejao and Nene. He's got more feel for the offensive end than Varejao, but he's not as skilled as Nene. It appears that he's just as injury-prone as they've been.

varejao has a really good feel for the game though. it just took him a while to develop mid-range J. he could always handle and pass well for a big stemming from growing up as a PG. he's always been well-versed in the PnR game as well.

i could see mcgary playing a similar role. tons of screens, crashing the o-glass, lots of pnr and being used as a high post passing hub.

that's what I see as well. Varejao was always the Cavs second most important player during the lebron years because he did so much defensively and did all the little things offensively that lead to winning basketball. Setting good hard screens, hustling for putbacks, moving the ball smartly, etc. In a similar vein to what Noah provides the Bulls.

McGary could do all those types of things since he plays so damn hard and is a cerebral player who doesn't step out of who he is. The question will always be his health however.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,045

Post#8 » by Laimbeer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Better than Varejao. He's bigger, has more offensive skills, and is a better rebounder.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,009

Post#9 » by mattg » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:49 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Better than Varejao. He's bigger, has more offensive skills, and is a better rebounder.

Varejao was a pretty damn good rebounder, especially when healthy. Not quite elite, but very good. I can see the argument for McGary being more skilled, but like ManRam said the big differenec is Varejao just didn't have a reliable midrange J early in his career. In terms of everything else he was pretty skilled. You weren't ever going to dump it down to him in the low post and tell him to go to work, but I don't see that being McGary's game at all either. He's going to score off putbacks/hustle, dumpoffs, running the floor, hard dives, and the a few mid range Js from the high post/FT line area.
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#10 » by SBM » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:20 pm

David Lee, he will be able to play both PF and C and he has a good pick and roll game plus good at rebounding. Maybe even Al Horford. I think he can be the steal of the draft and hope my Hawks pick him.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#11 » by doordoor123 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:53 pm

mattg wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:Better than Varejao. He's bigger, has more offensive skills, and is a better rebounder.

Varejao was a pretty damn good rebounder, especially when healthy. Not quite elite, but very good. I can see the argument for McGary being more skilled, but like ManRam said the big differenec is Varejao just didn't have a reliable midrange J early in his career. In terms of everything else he was pretty skilled. You weren't ever going to dump it down to him in the low post and tell him to go to work, but I don't see that being McGary's game at all either. He's going to score off putbacks/hustle, dumpoffs, running the floor, hard dives, and the a few mid range Js from the high post/FT line area.

When he was playing for real in the beginning of last season, he was averaging 14 and 10. People were thinking he was going to be an All-Star. Then he had that heart thing that took him out for the rest of the year. And this year, he never really got into the groove. I think on the right team, if he manages to stay healthy, he could potentially be a fringe all-star again. Or I might just have a lot of hope in me.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#12 » by doordoor123 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:54 pm

SBM wrote:David Lee, he will be able to play both PF and C and he has a good pick and roll game plus good at rebounding. Maybe even Al Horford. I think he can be the steal of the draft and hope my Hawks pick him.

Why? If he went to your team, he'd be behind Millsap, Horford, Antic and possibly other bigs. He'd be at the end of the bench. I would hate your team if you picked him up.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#13 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:15 pm

I agree his feel for the game is very good but the rest of his talents seems mediocre at best. A pick in the mid late teens on him is defendable considering McGary is a guy you know is going to play, the question is how much
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#14 » by No-Man » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:58 pm

6'10 David Lee that is aggresive on the defensive end.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#15 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:59 am

I think he's a fourth big off the bench. Bring him in to soak up some fouls, play some physical defense near the basket. That's about it.

If ANY team honestly believed he would be a "better Verajao", he wouldn't be projected as a second round pick.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,184

Post#16 » by Notanoob » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:12 am

ImHeisenberg wrote:I think he's a fourth big off the bench. Bring him in to soak up some fouls, play some physical defense near the basket. That's about it.

If ANY team honestly believed he would be a "better Verajao", he wouldn't be projected as a second round pick.
The reason that he's projected to go in the second round is because we saw so little of him, he hurt his back, and he's like 23. It's hard to be sure if he's really as good as he looked in the NCAA tournament since he played so little.
jmnvcavs
Rookie
And1: 947

Post#17 » by jmnvcavs » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:44 am

He plays more like Noah then Varejo/David Lee/Sully

Good passer for a big guy, physical/hustle guy, and can even handle it a little bit.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#18 » by DaddyCool19 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:32 am

A shorter better passing Robin Lopez?
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#19 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:22 pm

Notanoob wrote:
ImHeisenberg wrote:I think he's a fourth big off the bench. Bring him in to soak up some fouls, play some physical defense near the basket. That's about it.

The reason that he's projected to go in the second round is because we saw so little of him, he hurt his back, and he's like 23. It's hard to be sure if he's really as good as he looked in the NCAA tournament since he played so little.

There's value in that statement. But, I just don't think McGary is all that good. He looked solid in that U of M run, but he was also playing against one of the weakest college classes we've ever seen.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,045

Post#20 » by Laimbeer » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:29 pm

SBM wrote:David Lee, he will be able to play both PF and C and he has a good pick and roll game plus good at rebounding. Maybe even Al Horford. I think he can be the steal of the draft and hope my Hawks pick him.

I really like the Lee comparison. Big hustle guy with scoring ability. I think Mitch may be a bit more skilled overall, but you have the right idea.

Return to NBA Draft