Jordan Adams

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Re: Jordan Adams 

Post#81 » by Dr Positivity » Thu May 1, 2014 11:39 pm

Looking at Adams more I think he's just an underrated athlete. He gets by people. And lateral mobility is fine too.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#82 » by ManualRam » Fri May 2, 2014 3:15 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Looking at Adams more I think he's just an underrated athlete. He gets by people. And lateral mobility is fine too.

gets by people? maybe with a head of steam attacking a backpedaling defender. he's neither quick, nor fast. he's not explosive at the cup either. i watched quite a few ucla games this past yr and i don't recall him dunking once. he's a physical driver, lacking shiftiness, who has the strength to carry college defenders into the paint. he's not blowing by anyone.
his lateral quickness is not good either.

i honestly don't know what you're looking at, but this is you. seems like you post some weird stuff for the sake of having a different take.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Post#83 » by ColdBlooded » Fri May 2, 2014 3:28 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Looking at Adams more I think he's just an underrated athlete. He gets by people. And lateral mobility is fine too.

lmao no. he's an average NBA athlete.

he did not dunk the ball once this year.
Sam Hinkie crew.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#84 » by ManualRam » Fri May 2, 2014 3:31 am

ColdBlooded wrote:

i don't think he's average by nba standards.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ColdBlooded
Rookie

Post#85 » by ColdBlooded » Fri May 2, 2014 3:40 am

ManualRam wrote:
ColdBlooded wrote:

i don't think he's average by nba standards.

true.
Sam Hinkie crew.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#86 » by Dr Positivity » Fri May 2, 2014 3:59 am

Here are some drives

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w63xeHFhXOM[/youtube]

:43, 1:30

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnBhiGoReJM[/youtube]

3:55 (3 plays in a row). 5:05, 5:30, 6:30, 6:55

Now compare those drives to Kyle Anderson's "Getting to the Rim" section starting at 1:24 this video, or "Drive and Dish" at 4:59

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFGl9ndbjZ0[/youtube]

If one looks closer they'll see Anderson's drives are in a way that won't be effective in the NBA. When he's driving the defender is staying in front of him most of the way, funneling him, but then Anderson either gets around him at the end (out of laziness) or finishes over him. Adams drives however, especially the two in the first video, are much more straight in and splitting through the defense. To me Adams clearly looks like the faster athlete of the two.

I would consider him about as athletic for his position as Napier
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#87 » by Dr Positivity » Fri May 2, 2014 4:06 am

ColdBlooded wrote:

No question his vertical is weak but players can be good athletes without that. Adams may indeed be an average athlete but he's getting rated in the draft like he's a much below average athlete like Anderson.
ColdBlooded
Rookie

Post#88 » by ColdBlooded » Fri May 2, 2014 4:07 am

Dr Positivity wrote:
ColdBlooded wrote:

No question his vertical is weak but players can be good athletes without that.

yeah but Adams lacks lateral quickness,explosion,and speed.
Sam Hinkie crew.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#89 » by EvanZ » Fri May 2, 2014 4:10 am

Adams is not in NBA shape. Just like Kevin Love wasn't in NBA shape. Once a team gets him in a program, Adams will suddenly become a much better athlete.

That's why he has even more upside than people think.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
ColdBlooded
Rookie

Post#90 » by ColdBlooded » Fri May 2, 2014 4:11 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Here are some drives

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w63xeHFhXOM[/youtube

:43, 1:30

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnBhiGoReJM[/youtube

3:55 (3 plays in a row). 5:05, 5:30, 6:30, 6:55

Now compare those drives to Kyle Anderson's "Getting to the Rim" section starting at 1:24 this video, or "Drive and Dish" at 4:59

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFGl9ndbjZ0[/youtube

If one looks closer they'll see Anderson's drives are in a way that won't be effective in the NBA. When he's driving the defender is staying in front of him most of the way, funneling him, but then Anderson either gets around him at the end (out of laziness) or finishes over him. Adams drives however, especially the two in the first video, are much more straight in and splitting through the defense. To me Adams clearly looks like the faster athlete of the two.

I would consider him about as athletic for his position as Napier

1st off, those drives you just showed us weren't anything impressive lol.

2nd, why are you comparing him to Anderson? two different positions. Anderson projects to be a Point Forward, Adams is a SG.
Sam Hinkie crew.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#91 » by ManualRam » Fri May 2, 2014 4:33 am

so adams looks like a better driver compared to someone who's considered slow? brilliant.
adams is not quick, fast or explosive. i don't think he'll be consistently beating defenders off the bounce without having an initial advantage (screens, backpedaling defenders, attacking closeouts). then there's the issue of him actually finishing vs nba big man help defenders if he does get by his man.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#92 » by Orlwillbeback » Sun May 4, 2014 7:07 am

wesley matthews.

He will end up a better pro than at least 15-20 guys drafted ahead of him.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#93 » by Moooose » Sun May 4, 2014 8:04 am

I don't know if it is fat or muscle, but Jordan Adams seems bulky. If he can trim his weight down then maybe we can see improvement on his explosiveness. But nonetheless, there is no question about his scoring. And he'll get drafted not because of his athleticism but because he's a very capable scorer.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#94 » by Winglish » Sun May 4, 2014 1:24 pm

Don't forget that steals translate to the NBA. Jordan Adams is one of the best theft men in the draft at 2.6 steals per game. He's a good rebounder for his position also at 5.3 per game, mostly on the defensive end. Combine that with his 60% TS and you have a decent player, even with his lack of speed. I think the Wes Matthews comparison is a good one.

Adams WILL have to get into better physical shape. Matthews succeeded by building muscle bulk. Adams may have to do the same. Matthews didn't get drafted at all and I think that was actually good for him. Jerry Sloan told him he needed to hit the weight room if he wanted an NBA career. Wes Matthews obviously listened.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,184

Post#95 » by Notanoob » Sun May 4, 2014 4:42 pm

Keep in mind that UCLA played in a lot of zone, so his steal numbers are a bit inflated by that.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#96 » by ManualRam » Sun May 4, 2014 6:06 pm

Notanoob wrote:Keep in mind that UCLA played in a lot of zone, so his steal numbers are a bit inflated by that.

and he gambles a ton. often doing that ole, reach-around defense a la harden.
he's got quick hands and anticipates, but he's not a good defender. if people think that steals are an indicator of athleticism...well, watch adams play then.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#97 » by Ruzious » Mon May 5, 2014 11:19 am

ManualRam wrote:
Notanoob wrote:Keep in mind that UCLA played in a lot of zone, so his steal numbers are a bit inflated by that.

he's got quick hands and anticipates, but he's not a good defender. if people think that steals are an indicator of athleticism...well, watch adams play then.

It's an indication that he can play. Whether or not it's athleticism is almost irrelevant.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#98 » by ManualRam » Mon May 5, 2014 7:10 pm

Ruzious wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

It's an indication that he can play. Whether or not it's athleticism is almost irrelevant.

i've seen that stls rate/athleticism correlation being made multiple times on this very sub-forum.
an indication that he can play? that's a pretty broad statement. i'm not sure what that means.
his steals rate could just mean that he knows how to get them at the college level while not being a good defender.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#99 » by No-Man » Mon May 5, 2014 7:16 pm

I don't remember Ram, which were your thoughts regarding Carter-Williams? am yeah, I'm linking it with the steal rate
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#100 » by ManualRam » Tue May 6, 2014 1:57 am

Fischella wrote:I don't remember Ram, which were your thoughts regarding Carter-Williams? am yeah, I'm linking it with the steal rate

in what way? i wasn't a fan. i thought he was an instinctual, aggressive player, confident but played too much out of control. i thought that his supreme confidence led to erratic decision making and irrational confidence as a scorer/shooter, often driving into the lane with no plan, throwing bailout passes. he had the makings of a defensive playmaker though with his activity and size for the point.
i'm not sure what he learned this yr playing the type of basketball that the 6ers did. it was a style that kinda reinforced bad habits on both ends.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo

Return to NBA Draft