Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#81 » by Skin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:20 pm

He's probably the next Rodney Stuckey.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#82 » by Moooose » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:46 am

Not really reading all the previous posts, but I always think of him as someone that can have a career closer to Eric Gordon than Dwayne Wade. A healthy Eric Gordon of course.
Xepa777
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,743

Post#83 » by Xepa777 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:56 am

The hate for this man is strong.

He's 7th on my draft board but still...this guy was the #2 pick last year if he declared. Stayed in college, had a bad year in team standings, and didn't improve his jumpshot.

LeBron didn't have a consistent jumpshot the first 6 years of his career.

Who the hell cares about NCAA standings when you're in the NBA?

Marcus Smart is an athletic specimen, a leader, and a passionate guy. A little volatile? Yes, but Lance was much more of a headcase.

Freaking Stuckey comparisons? Really? Really?

All of you are going to look incredibly stupid in 5 years, and if I wasn't so damn lazy I'd bump this thread when that happens.

P.S. Dude who said MCW will be a below average player will look incredibly stupid in 3 years.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#84 » by HeartBreakKid » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:56 pm

20 years from now my kid will become the next Michael Jordan, watch I'm going to make you guys look stupid.
frozt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,282

Post#85 » by frozt » Fri May 2, 2014 8:05 pm

If the Lakers happen to land the 6th pick in the lottery and Smart is available, I think it's actually an idea situation if L.A. drafts him and takes a shot on him as one of their rebuilding pieces. He won't contribute to a chip immediately, but you need to have some defense ready once of these major FA become available.

Smart/Kobe/Deng/Love/?
Resident band wagon vigilante.
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Post#86 » by ColdBlooded » Fri May 2, 2014 8:18 pm

ManualRam wrote:i think he's closer to a lance stephenson with a weaker handle.

i agree with this.

all i know is that Smart will be a great defender the 1st minute he steps on the court. he's a straight bulldog on that end.

offensively, theres alot wrong. he cant shoot, yet throws up shots like he things he can. which means he doesnt know his imitations yet. not a great passer and probably will never be.

i love how he can draw fouls though. seems to have flopping down to an art.
Sam Hinkie crew.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#87 » by Komodo » Sat May 3, 2014 2:16 pm

How does he compare to Oladipo? Knowing what we know now, who do you like better?
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,484

Post#88 » by 165bows » Sat May 3, 2014 7:36 pm

Komodo wrote:How does he compare to Oladipo? Knowing what we know now, who do you like better?

I had that same question:

http://deanondraft.com/2014/02/28/marcu ... /#comments
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#89 » by Orlwillbeback » Sun May 4, 2014 7:32 am

smart is not quick, and he is a terrible shooter. He ends up taking so many bad shots because he just cant get where he wants on the court sometimes. But he still makes it work for his team. His team nearly fell apart without him, and he can show a great bbiq on some plays and bad bbiq on other(primarily shot selection).

He is not as shifty as Lance or as good a ballhandler as stuckey. But there is still something about him that makes you think he could make it work in the nba.

one thing he does do is play his ass off.

he is the point guard version of shabazz muhammad.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#90 » by Johnlac1 » Sun May 4, 2014 10:07 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:smart is not quick, and he is a terrible shooter. He ends up taking so many bad shots because he just cant get where he wants on the court sometimes. But he still makes it work for his team. His team nearly fell apart without him, and he can show a great bbiq on some plays and bad bbiq on other(primarily shot selection).

He is not as shifty as Lance or as good a ballhandler as stuckey. But there is still something about him that makes you think he could make it work in the nba.

He's not quick? Really? Ever see him get to the basket? He's get there very quickly.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#91 » by jman3134 » Sun May 4, 2014 5:13 pm

He is not nearly as crafty as Stephenson and is shorter. Not the physical specimen that Stephenson is either. Stephenson has a NYC handle, but never understood how to pick his spots. Smart does not have nearly the same handle imo.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#92 » by jman3134 » Sun May 4, 2014 5:15 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:smart is not quick, and he is a terrible shooter. He ends up taking so many bad shots because he just cant get where he wants on the court sometimes. But he still makes it work for his team. His team nearly fell apart without him, and he can show a great bbiq on some plays and bad bbiq on other(primarily shot selection).

He's not quick? Really? Ever see him get to the basket? He's get there very quickly.

I think he meant his first step is not super quick, which is true.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,201

Post#93 » by babyjax13 » Mon May 5, 2014 12:11 am

Tony Allen with more ability to get to the basket on offense. I don't think he's a true point guard, and I don't think he's the next hyperathletic combo guard a la Westbrook and Rose. He's a shooting guard with the ability to put the ball on the floor and play tremendous defense.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
toughtrasher
Freshman
And1: 16

Post#94 » by toughtrasher » Mon May 5, 2014 3:11 am

I've been a big fan of his motor and athletic ability, so I'd go with a Westbrook comparison. However, that's only for body.

No idea how he'd translate to the pros, but I hope he does well despite everyone hating on him because of his suspension and whatnot.
Air Jordan Retro 11 Gamma Blue review.

Funny #Division6Bound basketball tweets: @Div6Bound
Ballislife.org: Destination for all things NBA, college ball, and basketball gear (shoe pics and reviews etc)
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#95 » by cedric76 » Mon May 5, 2014 5:48 am

No doubt he 'll become a very player, but a franchise player? Not sure.
I 'll be happy to draft him for sure
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
RapHippy
Rookie
And1: 267

Post#96 » by RapHippy » Mon May 5, 2014 12:21 pm

cedric76 wrote:He might not be a future all star but I have no doubt he 'll succeed in nba

Really hope he ends up in Orlando

Smart & Oladipo would be an AWESOME defensive back-court. I think that's enough for Henny to at least consider it a possibility. If we can come out the draft with 2 top 7 talents, I'd be ecstatic
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#97 » by EricAnderson » Mon May 5, 2014 2:16 pm

RapHippy wrote:
cedric76 wrote:He might not be a future all star but I have no doubt he 'll succeed in nba

Smart & Oladipo would be an AWESOME defensive back-court. I think that's enough for Henny to at least consider it a possibility. If we can come out the draft with 2 top 7 talents, I'd be ecstatic

That would be a dreadful outside shootign backourt though i dont think that would work
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#98 » by Johnlac1 » Mon May 5, 2014 2:26 pm

If we're looking at teams (other than my Bucks) who Smart would be a good fit for, with Hardaway and him in the backcourt, the Knicks would have an excellent, young combo.
toughtrasher
Freshman
And1: 16

Post#99 » by toughtrasher » Mon May 5, 2014 5:51 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
RapHippy wrote:

That would be a dreadful outside shootign backourt though i dont think that would work

Right, not to mention they don't really have that many shooters in other positions as well.
Air Jordan Retro 11 Gamma Blue review.

Funny #Division6Bound basketball tweets: @Div6Bound
Ballislife.org: Destination for all things NBA, college ball, and basketball gear (shoe pics and reviews etc)
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#100 » by ImHeisenberg » Mon May 5, 2014 7:35 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:If we're looking at teams (other than my Bucks) who Smart would be a good fit for, with Hardaway and him in the backcourt, the Knicks would have an excellent, young combo.

Considering that the Knicks don't even have a first round draft pick, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume Smart doesn't land in NY.

Return to NBA Draft