Josh Jackson (Class of 2016)

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,432

Josh Jackson (Class of 2016) 

Post#1 » by B-Ball Freak » Fri May 9, 2014 2:03 am

This kid is looking like the next big thing if he develops his game right, just wanted to ask the board their thoughts on the kid. Also, is his athleticism equal to Andrew Wiggins same age?
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Josh Jackson (Class of 2016) 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Fri May 9, 2014 2:22 am

he's not as athletic as wiggins is. he's not as long as wiggins is either, but his ball skills, creativity and feel for the game are better at the same age. his better handle makes him quicker with the ball. he's got legit break down ability. he looks to make plays for others too which is another attribute he has over wiggins. he has primary ball-handler potential which wiggins will never be.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
B-Ball Freak
RealGM

Post#3 » by B-Ball Freak » Fri May 9, 2014 2:52 am

I know you said you have got him number 1 in 2016 over Thon Maker, do you think that will be the consensus two years from now?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#4 » by Marcus » Fri May 9, 2014 3:07 am

Josh is overall nasty as long as he keeps developing. I just wonder if somebody is gonna try and alter that release of his.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#5 » by ManualRam » Fri May 9, 2014 7:29 am

B-Ball Freak wrote:I know you said you have got him number 1 in 2016 over Thon Maker, do you think that will be the consensus two years from now?

it's a 3 horse race imo, but he'd be my favorite if all continued on their same rate of progression.

don't sleep on harry giles. i know he hasn't gotten much buzz lately because he's recovering from injury, but if the new measurements are correct (6'10 220), i would not count him out. he's long, athletic, more skilled than maker, younger than both jackson and maker and he has a tremendous mind for the game.
i'm looking forward to seeing how he has recovered and if he's added new dimensions to his game this summer.

maker's the more unique physical freak of nature and with that usually comes a higher ceiling but i do have questions about the direction he's decided to develop.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
beans-boy
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#6 » by beans-boy » Fri May 9, 2014 12:54 pm

ManualRam wrote:
B-Ball Freak wrote:I know you said you have got him number 1 in 2016 over Thon Maker, do you think that will be the consensus two years from now?

it's a 3 horse race imo, but he'd be my favorite if all continued on their same rate of progression.

don't sleep on harry giles. i know he hasn't gotten much buzz lately because he's recovering from injury, but if the new measurements are correct (6'10 220), i would not count him out. he's long, athletic, more skilled than maker, younger than both jackson and maker and he has a tremendous mind for the game.
i'm looking forward to seeing how he has recovered and if he's added new dimensions to his game this summer.

maker's the more unique physical freak of nature and with that usually comes a higher ceiling but i do have questions about the direction he's decided to develop.

PLUS Maker is like 21 years old... :crazy: :crazy:
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Marcus » Fri May 9, 2014 3:57 pm

ManualRam wrote:maker's the more unique physical freak of nature and with that usually comes a higher ceiling but i do have questions about the direction he's decided to develop.

some of the more recent footage that has surfaced shows him working from the block a little more. Short jump hooks, turnarounds, and some baseline spins. Might be a sign of things to come. Still doesn't deal with bigger bodies down low all that well from the looks of it. But that might always be the case.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#8 » by ManualRam » Fri May 9, 2014 7:58 pm

Marcus wrote:
ManualRam wrote:maker's the more unique physical freak of nature and with that usually comes a higher ceiling but i do have questions about the direction he's decided to develop.

some of the more recent footage that has surfaced shows him working from the block a little more. Short jump hooks, turnarounds, and some baseline spins. Might be a sign of things to come. Still doesn't deal with bigger bodies down low all that well from the looks of it. But that might always be the case.

you're right. that might always be the case given his build. it also might always be the case that he can't consistently beat nba SFs off the dribble, which means he'll have to become an exceptional shooter to open up the rest of his offensive game.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Marcus » Fri May 9, 2014 8:05 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Marcus wrote:

you're right. that might always be the case given his build. it also might always be the case that he can't consistently beat nba SFs off the dribble, which means he'll have to become an exceptional shooter to open up the rest of his offensive game.

and i think that's where a good portion of the bust aspect of Maker comes into play. Huge reason y im not completely sold on him. But he's nowhere near a finished product. Maybe that jumper does come into play. I don't think he'll ever quite be Durant and that appears to be the goal currently but if the Jumper does come around and fall consistently then he may live up to some of the billing he's received.

Still like Jackson more though.
Watch More Basketball

grubs10
Ballboy
And1: 19

Post#10 » by grubs10 » Sat May 10, 2014 3:08 am

Thoughts on Jayson Tatum's pro potential/comparison?
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#11 » by ManualRam » Sat May 10, 2014 6:36 am

grubs10 wrote:Thoughts on Jayson Tatum's pro potential/comparison?

he's a good all-around player and he's drawn comparisons to shaun livingston, but i don't see it. he wants to be a tall point, but i could see him outgrowing that position soon and i don't think he's quick enough to defend that position. livingston was much quicker in HS, was a better ball-handler/passer and he wasn't as much of a shooter/scorer that tatum is. i don't get the comparison at all. he's listed at 6'7 but looks taller than that now. i think he's more comparable to a steve smith stylistically and in terms of athleticism.

he's got a lot of buzz right now and rightfully so. he's well-rounded with a mature game, but i think his spot in the top 4-5 of his class is tenuous (i could see dennis smith jr taking his spot) because he's not that great of an athlete. he lacks quickness and has a naturally thin build too.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#12 » by EricAnderson » Sat May 10, 2014 6:20 pm

What about Tyus Battle? and i also heard Dennis Smith Jr is a guy whos exploding on the scene do you like him?
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#13 » by ManualRam » Sat May 10, 2014 7:25 pm

EricAnderson wrote:What about Tyus Battle? and i also heard Dennis Smith Jr is a guy whos exploding on the scene do you like him?

battle is a very smooth, all-around SG with good size who's coached well at the HS level. he can shoot, handle and pass. he even runs some point and make plays. i think what separates him from other SGs in his class is his handle. he's got a PG-like handle that he can use to break down or create his own shot. he's also a good defender for his age.
not an explosive athlete, but above average and fluid. he needs to bulk up like most kids his age do and he could turn up the intensity a bit sometimes. very smooth, but it looks like sometimes he plays it a little too cool. i don't see superstar talent, but as far as the basics go, there aren't many holes in his game.

i've only recently seen dennis smith in game action finally and he has all the tools to be a superstar PG. he's quick, shifty, explosive, has good size. needs to put on more weight, but plays strong already finishing through contact. he gets into the paint with ease. has good vision and creativity. mostly a drive and dish passer, but will move the ball around. can be over-aggressive attacking the paint, but i wouldn't say he's out-of-control. first impression is that he's top 5 in his class.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#14 » by reanimator » Sun May 11, 2014 2:46 am

Dennis Smith Jr reminds me of a young Steve Francis.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#15 » by ManualRam » Sun May 11, 2014 2:59 am

reanimator wrote:Dennis Smith Jr reminds me of a young Steve Francis.

he looks like a better passer, more under control and less iso heavy. don't be fooled by those mixtapes floating around. he's not always flashy.
here's some footage without the beats, bells and whistles. footage is always better when it's not dressed up.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1nJ2A9kerA[/youtube]
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#16 » by EricAnderson » Tue May 13, 2014 2:34 pm

Two other guys in that class im wondering if anyones seen

Udoka Azubuike i heard this kids really raw but his length arhletic ability size and explosivness is off the charts..and TJ Leaf while he doesnt seem like a great athlete he looks very skilled for his age
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Marcus » Wed May 14, 2014 5:10 pm

ManualRam wrote:
reanimator wrote:Dennis Smith Jr reminds me of a young Steve Francis.

he looks like a better passer, more under control and less iso heavy. don't be fooled by those mixtapes floating around. he's not always flashy.
here's some footage without the beats, bells and whistles. footage is always better when it's not dressed up.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1nJ2A9kerA[/youtube]

Vid shows quick burst, some shift, good PnR play, and a good ability to finish at the rim against size. Big fan of the "controlled quick PG" so this is good to see in Smith.
Watch More Basketball

B-Ball Freak
RealGM

Post#18 » by B-Ball Freak » Thu May 15, 2014 4:27 am

What do you guys think Josh Jackson can be/play like if he reaches his ceiling?

McGrady?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by Marcus » Thu May 15, 2014 3:35 pm

B-Ball Freak wrote:What do you guys think Josh Jackson can be/play like if he reaches his ceiling?

McGrady?

I think that could be the case later down the line. the ball handling is there, he's smooth, athletic, and even though its ugly has a pretty effective jumper.
Watch More Basketball

Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,355

Post#20 » by Saul Goodman » Fri May 16, 2014 1:01 am

Let's pray the Nuggets and Knicks are the two worst teams in 2016 :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo

Return to NBA Draft