Jusuf Nurkic

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

StaticRoar
Pro Prospect
And1: 884

Jusuf Nurkic 

Post#1 » by StaticRoar » Tue May 20, 2014 7:48 am

Where did this guy come from? Never even heard of him and now he is all of the sudden he is #9 on DraftExpress.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Re: Jusuf Nurkic 

Post#2 » by EMG518 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:46 am

People have been on him all year from what I saw here, including draft express and some other sites. I don't know that he goes 9 but he is certainly lottery worthy. Draft express always seems to favor international talent.
Xepa777
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,743

Post#3 » by Xepa777 » Tue May 20, 2014 11:05 am

EMG518 wrote:People have been on him all year from what I saw here, including draft express and some other sites. I don't know that he goes 9 but he is certainly lottery worthy. Draft express always seems to favor international talent.

Draftexpress is just fair and objective on its talent evaluation while the majority of fans see highlights and don't know how players' games translate to the NBA (offensive/defensive schemes, stamina, etc.). They've seen international prospects far more.

This is the reason why Draftexpress gets the most accurate mock every year (at least the past 3).

EDIT: He DOES take contracts into consideration, which he has spoken about numerously on Saric.
dancooper
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#4 » by dancooper » Tue May 20, 2014 11:30 am

on nbadraft (if not mistaken) he is a late 1st round draftee...

Sent from my Vodafone 875 using RealGM Forums mobile app
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#5 » by ManualRam » Tue May 20, 2014 11:57 am

Xepa777 wrote:
EMG518 wrote:People have been on him all year from what I saw here, including draft express and some other sites. I don't know that he goes 9 but he is certainly lottery worthy. Draft express always seems to favor international talent.

Draftexpress is just fair and objective on its talent evaluation while the majority of fans see highlights and don't know how players' games translate to the NBA (offensive/defensive schemes, stamina, etc.). They've seen international prospects far more.

givony is high on int'l prospects because those are the only ones, besides HS players at events or players local to him, that he scouts in person. he doesn't travel city to city in the states during the college season watching prospects. i think he's heavily swayed by what he sees in person. it doesn't even look like he takes their contract situations and possible arrival dates into consideration when putting them in his mocks.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,039

Post#6 » by shangrila » Tue May 20, 2014 12:16 pm

It's not surprising. He does a lot of scouting work for various international teams, so it's literally his job to scout these guys.

Nurkic seems to be like Pek on the Wolves. Skilled, bruising big man without elite athleticism but good size.
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#7 » by Rosque » Tue May 20, 2014 12:42 pm

shangrila wrote:
Nurkic seems to be like Pek on the Wolves. Skilled, bruising big man without elite athleticism but good size.

Also good defensive instincts but due to his age he is often out of position and thus getting in foul trouble...a lot. If he manages to be in right position he will be good starting center in the NBA (think: Gortat. 12-8-1.5). He also muscles everybody out of his way the way Shaq did. It's awesome seeing him do that.
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#8 » by mg » Tue May 20, 2014 12:42 pm

Givony has been on Nurkic for awhile now. Of course I've only seen the videos but at such a young age Nurkic has NBA size for the C position and seems to have a very nice touch on his shot. I read that he recently signed a contract over in Europe. Not sure about the buyout situation but that could push him down in the mocks as we get closer to the draft esp if he can't come over right away.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#9 » by Jazzfan12 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:34 pm

Nurkic is awesome and was pretty dominant in the minutes he played this year. Not sure why he's so much lower in other mocks. Nurkic is dumb as of now, but he's gigantic and has great offensive ability.
Apollo64
Starter
And1: 724

Post#10 » by Apollo64 » Tue May 20, 2014 2:48 pm

Fans will love him, opposing players will hate him. He is nowhere near as good as Pekovic was offensively at his age, but he is so strong that he may command double teams in the future. His #1 problem is fouls, since he plays very aggresively in defense.

EDIT: Also be prepared for the inevitable influx of crap hype articles next year likening him to a "White Shaq".
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#11 » by boogie-reke » Tue May 20, 2014 4:25 pm

He really reminds you of DeMarcus when you watch his film.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#12 » by Ruzious » Tue May 20, 2014 5:09 pm

boogie-reke wrote:He really reminds you of DeMarcus when you watch his film.

Speaking of which, he's got the same turnovers problem that Cousins has. And his max verticle is listed as 23 inches. Jeebus, that's horrible. With his Cuz like problems with defense and turnovers, there are big red flags, but his abilities to both rebound and especially score will make him a top 10 pick. If I picked him, I'd look to trade him, because I don't think you win big in the NBA building around a player like Cousins.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Apollo64
Starter
And1: 724

Post#13 » by Apollo64 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:42 pm

Except he's nothing like Cousins, so...
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Ruzious » Tue May 20, 2014 5:55 pm

Apollo64 wrote:Except he's nothing like Cousins, so...

He's got the same problems that I just mentioned. Do you disagree with that?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rosque
Analyst

Post#15 » by Rosque » Tue May 20, 2014 5:58 pm

He's nowhere as athletic as Cousins but is more stronger because he is bulkier. Nurkic never posed team issues -- only goul trouble and turnovers. That's it.
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Ruzious » Tue May 20, 2014 6:16 pm

Rosque wrote:He's nowhere as athletic as Cousins but is more stronger because he is bulkier. Nurkic never posed team issues -- only goul trouble and turnovers. That's it.

Goul trouble can indeed be a problem at late games in certain cities.

I don't think Cousins is particularly athletic, and I think Cousins main problems are with how he plays - not team issues.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,631

Post#17 » by Skin » Tue May 20, 2014 6:30 pm

Looks slow and unathletic. Big size, but not muscular in bulk and strength. Size is always a valued commodity in the NBA, but I don't think he's going to be really special. Good NBA player like Pek and Asik, possibly.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Rosque
Analyst

Post#18 » by Rosque » Tue May 20, 2014 7:29 pm

He is more of a Zach Randolph than Pek/Ašik. Can't jump but is strong. Bad at positioning but good man defender.
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,415

Post#19 » by MiltownHawkeye » Tue May 20, 2014 7:46 pm

Skin wrote:Looks slow and unathletic. Big size, but not muscular in bulk and strength. Size is always a valued commodity in the NBA, but I don't think he's going to be really special. Good NBA player like Pek and Asik, possibly.

Pekovic and Asik would be very good picks at #9.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#20 » by SlowPaced » Tue May 20, 2014 8:10 pm

He reminds me a whole lot of Nikola Pekovic. Not surprising that he gets attention, elite low post scoring threats are rare and very valuable.

Return to NBA Draft