2014 FIFA World Cup: Group B (ESP/NED/CHI/AUS)

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Who advances from Group B?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:19 am

Spain
38%
Netherlands
41%
Chile
16%
Australia
4%

Total votes: 134

LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

2014 FIFA World Cup: Group B (ESP/NED/CHI/AUS) 

Post#1 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:19 am

13 June 16:00 Spain Netherlands
13 June 19:00 Chile Australia
18 June 17:00 Spain Chile
18 June 13:00 Netherlands Australia
23 June 13:00 Australia Spain
23 June 13:00 Netherlands Chile

* All Times EST
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,077

Re: 2014 FIFA World Cup: Group B (ESP/NED/CHI/AUS) 

Post#2 » by magik9113 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:38 pm

It is difficult for me to pick against Vidal in his own continent. Sorry Netherlands
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#3 » by PANDEMONEUM » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:01 pm

who voted for Australia ?

common now.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Jun 2, 2014 10:34 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Brazil14WC/status/472701594606518272[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Brazil14WC/status/472698407044546562[/tweet]
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#5 » by blkout » Wed Jun 4, 2014 10:31 am

Gulp.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#6 » by Foye » Wed Jun 4, 2014 10:37 am

I got Spain & Chile.
spectacularmove
Bench Warmer
And1: 316

Post#7 » by spectacularmove » Wed Jun 4, 2014 3:34 pm

The key game for Chile is the first one against Australia, if they win that one the will have momentum and I think they end up playing for the first place of the group against the Netherlands. I dont see Spain going into the second round really, too much satisfaction and the core of that great team is too old or retired. One factor that makes this group even more appealing is that the one that comes second, will probably go against Brazil in 1/8. So for Spain, the Netherlands and Chile, its no enough to just pass to the second round, they all want to come first.
you are not your thoughts
Man of Steel
Lead Assistant
And1: 548

Post#8 » by Man of Steel » Wed Jun 4, 2014 4:08 pm

Spain's fallen off a bit and I don't want to see VDB succeed because of some of the choices he's made but I can't see a scenario in which they don't get to the knockout stages, and I'm sure Brazil won't exactly be thrilled to play them. I'm sure group B teams would rather play Croatia but we'll see. Picked Chile for my second because Netherlands gonna Netherlands, and that's without the injuries.
HALA MADRID || GO LEAFS GO || LET'S GO RAPTORS
sorokii
Junior
And1: 32

Post#9 » by sorokii » Wed Jun 4, 2014 6:48 pm

Spain and Netherlands have a tough game to start. The losing team will have a hard time after that, it would be win or go home for them and Chile is just the kind of team you dont want in that situation.

So I think Chile is going through, with Spain (lots of more experiencie than the oranjes)
da da da da daaaaaa...
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Jun 4, 2014 6:56 pm

Where's all the Aussies?
criteriado
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,257

Post#11 » by criteriado » Wed Jun 4, 2014 7:02 pm

Hopefully we don't screw it up on the first game of the WC, like we did the last time. I guess that Fabregas will play as the 9.
Jugs
RealGM
And1: 6,488

Post#12 » by Jugs » Thu Jun 5, 2014 7:33 am

LittleOzzy wrote:Where's all the Aussies?

they have zero chance of progressing so nothing to discuss or get hyped about. i'll still watch the games though
EuroPacer
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#13 » by EuroPacer » Thu Jun 5, 2014 8:59 am

Here is my analysis of the Netherlands' chances for this World Cup:

The key is that the manager (Louis van Gaal) has actually changed the way the Netherlands play, shaping the team to a 5-3-2 variant to fit the available personnel.

This is key because it reveals a number of things:

The midfield isn't as good as it once was, Sneijder has played in a poorish division for a few years now, Strootman is injured and although exciting prospects Wijnaldum and Clasie aren't quite experienced enough to do anything at a World Cup. De Guzman and Fer are solid role-players but not a lot more and Nigel de Jong is where the 5-3-2 becomes revealing: Van Gaal will likely play him as a midfield enforcer behind Sneijder and one of the other candidates.

The defence is a massive work in progress with some very young/inexperienced players, they haven't got 100 caps between them and Ron Vlaar is the most experienced man, but is he capable of turning the likes of De Vrij and Martins Indi into proper centre backs in a system that relies on two wing-backs (Janmaat and Blind) to find the space in front all the time? Behind them a selection of inexperienced (at international level) goalies. I would go with Krul but it looks like Van Gaal will favour Cillessen of Ajax. By the way, don't be fooled by not having heard of De Vrij and Martins Indi, you will soon enough, both are being targeted by big European clubs.

The attack is by far the most potent part of the team, Dirk Kuyt is coming along as pinch-hitter, Robben and Van Persie will lead the attack to start each game and if needed Huntelaar (underrated!) can come on to force things as a centre-forward. My issue with the system is the reliance on Robben and Van Persie playing well together, there is no denying they are incredible players individually, but can they break open a dogged Aussie backline or the crafty Chileans?

I reckon the Netherlands will get out of the group in second place, behind Spain, but only just. That will likely mean Brazil in round two and although exciting because young, there is no way that this defense can stop Neymar and co from scoring.
Vogel is Dutch for Bird.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#14 » by studcrackers » Sat Jun 7, 2014 1:29 am

if any of you aussie's like myself want to support our team and country throughout the world cup, here's the official logo that we're going with

Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,568

Post#15 » by Sofia » Sat Jun 7, 2014 9:28 am

CHILE IS THE BEST! CHUCK OUT THE REST!
President of the Grady Dick Fanclub - top ****
President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub - go stiffies!
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#16 » by Point forward » Sat Jun 7, 2014 11:59 am

EuroPacer wrote:Here is my analysis of the Netherlands' chances for this World Cup:

The key is that the manager (Louis van Gaal) has actually changed the way the Netherlands play, shaping the team to a 5-3-2 variant to fit the available personnel. The midfield isn't as good as it once was, the defence is a massive work in progress with some very young/inexperienced players, the attack is by far the most potent part of the team. I reckon the Netherlands will get out of the group in second place, behind Spain, but only just.

Van Gaal has always been great with young, inexperienced players. I trust him to cobble together a defense which is at least decent, and on that base, you can make use of your superb attackers. And don't forget you don't have to put up with Van der Vaart. Believe me, this a huge advantage :lol:
Jogi Löw to Mario Götze wrote:Show the world that you are better than Messi.
EuroPacer
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#17 » by EuroPacer » Sat Jun 7, 2014 1:26 pm

Point forward wrote:
EuroPacer wrote:Here is my analysis of the Netherlands' chances for this World Cup:

The key is that the manager (Louis van Gaal) has actually changed the way the Netherlands play, shaping the team to a 5-3-2 variant to fit the available personnel. The midfield isn't as good as it once was, the defence is a massive work in progress with some very young/inexperienced players, the attack is by far the most potent part of the team. I reckon the Netherlands will get out of the group in second place, behind Spain, but only just.

Van Gaal has always been great with young, inexperienced players. I trust him to cobble together a defense which is at least decent, and on that base, you can make use of your superb attackers. And don't forget you don't have to put up with Van der Vaart. Believe me, this a huge advantage :lol:

Haha yeah I agree on VdV!

I haven't lived in the Netherlands for quite some time now so I'm not keeping up with things, but this seems a very utilitarian squad, very interesting as an experiment.
Vogel is Dutch for Bird.
TheAdmiral
RealGM
And1: 1,213

Post#18 » by TheAdmiral » Sat Jun 7, 2014 2:27 pm

At least Sneijder seems to be fit, he's been training vigorously (with a kickboxer) to get into shape. He's no way near the Sneijder of 2010, but him being fit is somewhat of a plus. Van Persie still seems to be struggling with his form, but who knows, with the likes of Robben and RVP up front The Netherlands can do some damage.

Not a whole lot of damage though. Presence of the likes of Martins Indi etc and the absence of Strootman will hurt their chances significantly.

I expect Spain and The Netherlands to advance, but I honestly also wouldn't be shocked if Chile would end up winning the group, leaving one of the other two sides out. A lot to look forward to!
D-31 wrote:again..all of u Jordan fans are caught up in his scoring accolades and fail to realize that he was a lousy basketball player.

Jordan never fully understood basketball. He had the lowest basketball IQ of any NBA "superstar" in history.
pass first
Head Coach
And1: 763

Post#19 » by pass first » Sun Jun 8, 2014 7:34 pm

This is the worst Dutch squad in over 25 years. For the first time in my lifetime they have no realistic chance to win it all (after qualifying).

They might still reach the second round but it wouldn´t shock me if they don´t. I expect their matches to be rather dull as they are going to play relatively defensively. I wonder how this is going to suit Van Persie who they failed to set up for good chances in 2010 with a more attacking line up.

I would give more for their chances if they´d play a better goalkeeper (either Vorm or Krul, who are not great but better than Cillesen imo) and if Van Gaal hadn´t inexplicably left their potentially best defender Virgil van Dijk (Celtic) out of the squad.

That being said I still think it´s crazy that they´re not seeded as head of the group and drew Spain.

I know Spain may not be as good as in 2010 but I think the Netherlands drop off since then is probably worse. Therefore Spain is still favorite imo but I could see them draw in the first game, a lazy 0-0 lol. Spain probably respect the Netherlands´ team more than they deserve.
TheAdmiral
RealGM
And1: 1,213

Post#20 » by TheAdmiral » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:36 pm

Vidal ruled out vs Australia.

"@TheSunFootball: Arturo Vidal has been ruled out of Chile's opening World Cup game against Australia with a knee injury"
D-31 wrote:again..all of u Jordan fans are caught up in his scoring accolades and fail to realize that he was a lousy basketball player.

Jordan never fully understood basketball. He had the lowest basketball IQ of any NBA "superstar" in history.

Return to The General Soccer Board