Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,643

Spencer Dinwiddie 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:59 pm

Why did he come out? Coming off the injury, it seems unlikely he goes before the mid-second round. I think if he had returned to college, proved he was healthy, and had a good year, he could have worked his way in to the late first. Curious decision all around.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Re: Spencer Dinwiddie 

Post#2 » by miltk » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:06 pm

hasn't medicine progressed to the point where you DON'T have to prove you're passed an injury.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#3 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:36 pm

Questionable decision, but it'd be hard for a guy like Dinwiddie to crack 1st round as a senior prospect next year, especially if he didn't play as well because of his injury. He may have felt he had more to lose than gain next year.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,184

Post#4 » by brackdan70 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:49 am

tough call, he could be a late first rounder or early to mid 2nd. He would have to have a huge year to improve his stock if he came back.
Sign here
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#5 » by ManualRam » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:26 am

i don't have an issue with him coming out. he would've been a senior and i already consider him a low ceiling player so i don't think he would've been able to improve his stock much. at least he can concentrate fully on his rehab and recovery now.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#6 » by Old Man Game » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:53 am

ManualRam wrote:i don't have an issue with him coming out. he would've been a senior and i already consider him a low ceiling player so i don't think he would've been able to improve his stock much. at least he can concentrate fully on his rehab and recovery now.

Just curious, How much of this dude's game do you think translates to the next level? He's not getting all those free throw attempts I would think. I'm not sure his his dribble is tight enough or foot speed good enough for the driving game to survive either.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#7 » by ManualRam » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:04 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
ManualRam wrote:i don't have an issue with him coming out. he would've been a senior and i already consider him a low ceiling player so i don't think he would've been able to improve his stock much. at least he can concentrate fully on his rehab and recovery now.

Just curious, How much of this dude's game do you think translates to the next level? He's not getting all those free throw attempts I would think. I'm not sure his his dribble is tight enough or foot speed good enough for the driving game to survive either.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app

i think he'll be able to shoot with range and i think he can be a 2ndary handler handling some PnR. outside of that i'm not sure what else in his game can translate. the aforementioned things, along with sound defense (he is smart with good length, but with a weak frame) are enough for him to be a rotation player, but he looks like a 7th man to me.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
siar617
Analyst
And1: 457

Post#8 » by siar617 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:12 pm

Perfect player for the Knicks triangle offense. He could even start after he heals and rehabs
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,184

Post#9 » by Notanoob » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:15 pm

I'm praying the Pistons land him. We desperately need a wing player who can shoot and handle the ball some; currently the only true wing players we have are Kyle Singler and KCP. I feel like Dinwiddie is really getting slept on, he doesn't really have a hole in his game. He just needs to make a full recover and get a bit stronger and he could be a starter in this SG-depleted league.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#10 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:48 pm

I thought he was skinny for his position from the visuals, but he weighed 205 pounds (average SG is 200, SF 210) at only 5.4% body fat at the combine. I think he has solid defensive potential for his length and lateral ability and is a good offensive player as a dribbler/shooter/passer
Baller2014
Banned User
And1: 519

Post#11 » by Baller2014 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:32 am

Might have a promise.
kf96
Junior
And1: 69

Post#12 » by kf96 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:12 am

Detroit should take him

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#13 » by ManualRam » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:24 pm

i don't see that much difference b/t he and kyle weaver.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
greenandgold
Senior
And1: 202

Post#14 » by greenandgold » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:30 pm

ManualRam wrote:i don't see that much difference b/t he and kyle weaver.

Kyle Weaver! I liked that kid. Charming comparison. False, but charming.

Dinwiddie put up way more points per minute and at much higher efficiency (60% TS vs Weaver's 54% TS). Dinwiddie got to the free throw line at a much higher rate. Dinwiddie shot 38.6% from 3P for his career, while Weaver shot 27.7% from 3P. Offensively there's no comparison.

Weaver was a better rebounder and was committed to the defense end.

Both guys are skinny black combo guards. That's about where the similarities end.
greenandgold
Senior

Post#15 » by greenandgold » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Dinwiddie in a short 17 game season this year put up an astounding 135.3 offensive rating. Best in the 2014 class, though of course that number would likely have come down if he hadn't been injured over the second 17 games in the schedule.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#16 » by ManualRam » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:31 pm

greenandgold wrote:

Dinwiddie put up way more points per minute and at much higher efficiency (60% TS vs Weaver's 54% TS). Dinwiddie got to the free throw line at a much higher rate. Dinwiddie shot 38.6% from 3P for his career, while Weaver shot 27.7% from 3P. Offensively there's no comparison.

Both guys are skinny black combo guards. That's about where the similarities end.

neither are combo guards at the next level, both are jack of all trades NBA SGs with thin builds, lack of body strength, without good quickness, speed in the open floor, explosion at the rim. good, not great shooters who can handle the ball in PnR and make sound decisions but don't have the quickness or strength to beat their man 1 on 1 or finish.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#17 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:48 pm

ManualRam wrote:
greenandgold wrote:

neither are combo guards at the next level, both are jack of all trades NBA SGs with thin builds, lack of body strength, without good quickness, speed in the open floor, explosion at the rim. good, not great shooters who can handle the ball in PnR and make sound decisions but don't have the quickness or strength to beat their man 1 on 1 or finish.

Your description could fit Rip Hamilton coming out of UConn. Dinwiddie was arguably a better player as a freshman than Weaver was as a senior. They may have similarities, but Dinwiddie's significantly better. `
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#18 » by ManualRam » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:02 pm

Ruzious wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
greenandgold wrote:

Weaver was a better rebounder and was committed to the defeshoonse end.

Your description could fit Rip Hamilton coming out of UConn. Dinwiddie was arguably a better player as a freshman than Weaver was as a senior. They may have similarities, but Dinwiddie's significantly better. `

rip was a shooter, a prolific off screen/movement shooter who didn't play on the ball. that was the role he eventually played in the league too. his quickness (which imo was better than both these guys) on the ball didn't matter as much because he was an off-the-ball player.

how about dinwiddie vs weaver in the year they were drafted?
significantly? i can't agree with that. both these guys are pretty blah. they both look like jack of all trades 2 guards with no stand out qualities skill-wise, physically or athletically.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
greenandgold
Senior

Post#19 » by greenandgold » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:32 pm

ManualRam wrote:
greenandgold wrote:

What evidence do you have that Dinwiddie is not a great shooter? My evidence he's a terrific shooter: 67% true shooting this year (on a significant percentage of jump shots) better than both McDermott and Stauskas, considered the two best pure shooters in the draft.

What do you want Dinwiddie to shoot? 70% TS? 80% TS? This is getting unrealistic.

Call Dinwiddie injury ridden. Talk about how he's not going to recover his quickness b/c of the ACL tear. Criticize his defence. But comparing him to Kyle Weaver? Nonsense.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#20 » by ManualRam » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:49 pm

greenandgold wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
greenandgold wrote:

What evidence do you have that Dinwiddie is not a great shooter? My evidence he's a terrific shooter: 67% true shooting this year (on a significant percentage of jump shots) better than both McDermott and Stauskas, considered the two best pure shooters in the draft.

What do you want Dinwiddie to shoot? 70% TS? 80% TS? This is getting unrealistic.

TS measures scoring efficiency not shooting. EFG is the stat that you wanna quote. as a guy who's posts almost exclusively consist of stats, you should know that.
his EFG looks great for a 17 game sample, but i don't think that would've been sustainable as his team got into the meat of conference play and beyond.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo

Return to NBA Draft