Marcus Smart comparisons

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#161 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Tue May 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Choker wrote:In the long run I'm just projecting Smart's best case scenario. He gets into the lane by his strength, but his strength isn't going to save him in most scenarios in the NBA. When he gets doubled or the defense converge on him, is he going to just barrel over two people? Wade in his prime when he can't use his strength in a similar situation has the ability to maneuver his body to split defenses or juke them out with his handles. I don't think Smart has the athleticism nor handles to do either, he just has his strength.

I'm not knocking his ability to get to the rim and draw fouls, but in those scenarios what are his alternatives or counters? I don't see him consistently punishing defenses by making sweet dish passes, and again he doesn't really have the handles to shake his defender off to create more room when he's driving into the paint.

My argument is more that Smart doesn't have anything else going for him aside from strength. Yeah he's quick but I don't think he's terribly quick. Quick for someone with his strength and bulk but he's just averagely quick in general imo. And his handles and vision are above average at best. When his strength can't save him what else does he have to fall on?

Than you havent watched him enough imo. He's a 2way player with elite defense,rebounding,and shot blocking for his position. Sure in a halfcourt set he might not make the best decisions or have the perfect shot selection at times but what rookie does? Guys like Steph Curry/Lillard will be shutdown by him. He is a better ball handler than you give him credit for aswell. Honestly i think he'll be a nightmare for most PG's aslong as he proves he can hit a 15ter so that they dont go under the screen everytime. He isnt a low IQ PG like Tyreke who falls apart once he cant drive. Smart plays well offball and crashes the boards . He has this weird intagible of ron artest where his hands are like stone when he goes for steals and just strips guys with ease. check it out

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0utw7005-Pw[/youtube]

JR : Next Gen
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#162 » by Kabookalu » Tue May 27, 2014 9:42 pm

GhostX wrote:Than you havent watched him enough imo. He's a 2way player with elite defense,rebounding,and shot blocking for his position. Sure in a halfcourt set he might not make the best decisions or have the perfect shot selection at times but what rookie does? Guys like Steph Curry/Lillard will be shutdown by him. He is a better ball handler than you give him credit for aswell. Honestly i think he'll be a nightmare for most PG's aslong as he proves he can hit a 15ter so that they dont go under the screen everytime. He isnt a low IQ PG like Tyreke who falls apart once he cant drive. Smart plays well offball and crashes the boards . He has this weird intagible of ron artest where his hands are like stone when he goes for steals and just strips guys with ease. check it out

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0utw7005-Pw[/youtube]

I was just talking exclusively offensively. I already project him to be an elite defender the minute he steps on an NBA court.
Read on Twitter
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#163 » by cedric76 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:33 pm

We all agree that he is gonna be a stud in defense
As for the offense , he could become a bigger billups/Lowry combo once he develop a legit 3pt shot
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
kdot99
Veteran
And1: 212

Post#164 » by kdot99 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:27 am

Choker wrote:
KRSN wrote:I'd disagree, the two top PG's at getting to the line in the league - Westbrook and Lowry - are similar to Smart in that they are not pure Point's but are effective at managing the offense. Smart is built similar in that he has the strength and ability to absorb contact at the rim, create and finish. The main challenge with Smart is can he run an NBA offense as a PG? You won't know until you try, and I can see him succeeding if he's under the right coach

Smart following Lowry's path would be a great trajectory for him. Lowry came in with no jumpshot and now he's one of the best shooters in the league. However the thing with Smart and those two guys though is that Westbrook has two more gears in his step that's so rarely attained by players, his explosiveness is just downright unfair. Smart, nor any other point guard aside from a healthy Rose and John Wall have that. And Lowry is really crafty with the ball, he utilizes head fakes and feigns his moves better than any Raptor player I've ever seen. You just never know what he's going to do. Lowry has the reputation of a bulldog but he has a Chris Paul like ability to telegraph what he's going to do, and then just do something else on the stop of a dime.

For the most part I see Smart just taking advantage of lanes that are open to him, not unlike Lowry who creates openings for himself with craftiness.

Fair points and examples, I agree with you for the most part but I think you're underestimating Smart's ability to improve and grow in the NBA and fine tune his game. Definitely feel like he will be a better Pro than college player, I don't see him lasting past the Kings.
AgentZer0
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#165 » by AgentZer0 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:52 am

I don't think there is a player out there that accurately compares to Smart. Kyle Lowry is probably the most accurate, but he's much better than Lowry was coming out of college and has higher potential, so a Super Kyle Lowry would be best. He plays like a shooting guard, but I have no question that he'll be a point guard at the NBA level. With so much depth at the point guard position in the NBA, he'll be a valuable player for his defensive ability. I think he'll be able to use his size and strength to get points even if his jump shot remains a liability. If he can develop a jump shot, he could make a few All-Star teams.

I wrote a complete scouting report on Smart here with more detail, along with scouting reports on other incoming rookies here at http://freeagentzero.com/2014/06/16/nba ... cus-smart/
Check out my in-depth, team-by-team season previews at [color=#0000BF]freeagentzero.com[/color]
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,084

Post#166 » by JB2 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:24 am

AgentZer0 wrote:I don't think there is a player out there that accurately compares to Smart. Kyle Lowry is probably the most accurate, but he's much better than Lowry was coming out of college and has higher potential, so a Super Kyle Lowry would be best. He plays like a shooting guard, but I have no question that he'll be a point guard at the NBA level. With so much depth at the point guard position in the NBA, he'll be a valuable player for his defensive ability. I think he'll be able to use his size and strength to get points even if his jump shot remains a liability. If he can develop a jump shot, he could make a few All-Star teams.

I wrote a complete scouting report on Smart here with more detail, along with scouting reports on other incoming rookies here at http://freeagentzero.com/2014/06/16/nba ... cus-smart/

The best way to describe Smart is a PG version of Ron Artest. Strong, extremely quick hands, shut down d, incredible strength, agile, good athlete, fearless, a little hot headed, not the most efficient scorer and not the greatest stand still shooter.

He's going to be a beast in the NBA. Not on a Westbrook/Curry/Parker level, but I do think he can be a guy who will change the game every night be it with his ability to attack the basket to cause havoc on the defensive end.

Potential isn't as high as the guys ahead of him, but I think his floor is an elite defender who can be a adequate starter on a high level team. Best case, he really works on his shooting and looks like D Wade on O and a stellar defender.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#167 » by EricAnderson » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:24 pm

Tyreke Evans
mid-post
Analyst
And1: 70

Post#168 » by mid-post » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:10 am

I look at Smart and I see Tony Allen, from the athleticism and aggression to the (slightly less) broken form on the jumper. And maybe the OSU thing.

The only question I guess I have with him is whether he can actually punish guys for sagging off him (and in the NBA people will be sagging off him like titties off an 80 year old). There are definitely better prospects to go with near the top of the draft considering he only shoots 30% from three. Other than the fact that he's a big body and a good athlete, I don't really get the "upside" with him offensively. But who knows, maybe he'll be good at bully ball in the NBA as well. And he definitely has upside/potential as a lockdown defender.

Best case scenario? Poor man's DWade meets Tony Allen. Not bad when you think about it, but that's assuming his jumper ends up being somewhat effective. Which looking at it, and looking at the numbers in college, it doesn't look like a great gamble.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Post#169 » by tmorgan » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:28 am

I really like the PG Ron Artest characterization -- now, what you make of that depends on how optimistic you want to be.

A player with young Metta's skillset, if properly developed, could be an absolute monster at PG. Lockdown defense, a bully with the ball, intense to the point of being scary, and absolutely impossible to physically contain -- these things seem almost certain. He'll need to work on his actual PG skills and handle, and most certainly his shot, but if all of those things can grade out to even average for a PG, he'll be a near All-Star player. If he gets good at a couple of them, we're talking a player that can lead a team deep in the playoffs.

On the other hand, the weaknesses World Peace has always had are going to be magnified playing PG and could completely derail Smart's career as a PG, making him either a weak scoring SG (Tony Allen) or a bench player. Poor decision making, poor shot selection, and uneven composure are all characteristics of both Smart and Artest, and if those don't improve, you're looking at something close to a bust for a top 8 pick in this deep draft.

Which will it be? I sure as hell don't know or I'd be making mad money in a front office somewhere. His floor is fairly high because of his defense, and his ceiling is really high because of lots of things, but there's always that risk he isn't composed enough to be a PG, and as a SG he probably barely deserves to be in the lottery.
kd 35
Senior
And1: 605

Post#170 » by kd 35 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:56 pm

Marcus Smart's "team" is apparently not interested in a workout with Utah.

The full video of the interview is on Jazz.com and Perrin references the fact that Smart had a tweet which was later deleted saying the Jazz weren't interested. Perrin states that the team has done substantial work on Smart and are interested in him at No. 5. When asked whether they plan to have him in for a workout, Perrin says "I've talked to his agent four times trying to get Marcus in," indicating they tried and were unsuccessful. "Whatever the reason that they don't want Marcus to come in, Perrin said, "that's on them."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24592001/jazz-say-marcus-smart-wont-work-out-for-them

This sounds like he might have a promise from Orlando to go 4th. Otherwise I think he falls to LA at 7.
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#171 » by dballislife » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:40 am

hes at least a better dion waiters rite...hes goin top 5 i think, 6 at least
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#172 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:46 am

mid-post wrote:I look at Smart and I see Tony Allen, from the athleticism and aggression to the (slightly less) broken form on the jumper. And maybe the OSU thing.

The only question I guess I have with him is whether he can actually punish guys for sagging off him (and in the NBA people will be sagging off him like titties off an 80 year old). There are definitely better prospects to go with near the top of the draft considering he only shoots 30% from three. Other than the fact that he's a big body and a good athlete, I don't really get the "upside" with him offensively. But who knows, maybe he'll be good at bully ball in the NBA as well. And he definitely has upside/potential as a lockdown defender.

Best case scenario? Poor man's DWade meets Tony Allen. Not bad when you think about it, but that's assuming his jumper ends up being somewhat effective. Which looking at it, and looking at the numbers in college, it doesn't look like a great gamble.

I think his upside offensively is him having good enough offensive skills so he can stay on the court and impact the game with his lockdown defense. If he can be a shutdown defender who can guard both 1s and 2s in today's league that is pretty rare/valuable considering there is no more hand checking.

His 3 point shot is a problem, but his shot selection is a much bigger concern. TBH his ceiling for most of his skills are probably him being average. Average decision maker, average handler, average shooter - the only two things that he has the potential to be above average is slashing (pretty important) and having a post game ( unique/rare to develop for a PG). He could have an Andre Miller type of approach if his 3 point shot never pans out, and try to draw attention via backing smaller guards up, which he has the strength and tenacity to do. Actually the more I think about it, the more I like him getting a post game, could make for a very interesting player.
Lukeem
Analyst
And1: 2,577

Post#173 » by Lukeem » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:39 am

Defensive minded James harden ceiling

Rodney Stuckey floor

Sent from my C6906 using RealGM Forums mobile app
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#174 » by yitur » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:22 am

He doesn't have poor shooting touch as much as people make him out to be. He has poor shot selection. People were derailing Oladipo's handling for even a SG but he was good enough to be a PG with those handles. Marcus Smart will be a longer and better version of Kyle Lowry. I think in his prime he will be something like, 18-6-7 with almost 3 steals and lockdown defense.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#175 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:06 pm

yitur wrote:He doesn't have poor shooting touch as much as people make him out to be. He has poor shot selection. People were derailing Oladipo's handling for even a SG but he was good enough to be a PG with those handles. Marcus Smart will be a longer and better version of Kyle Lowry. I think in his prime he will be something like, 18-6-7 with almost 3 steals and lockdown defense.

Oladipo can't play PG in the NBA well at all.
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#176 » by yitur » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:00 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
yitur wrote:He doesn't have poor shooting touch as much as people make him out to be. He has poor shot selection. People were derailing Oladipo's handling for even a SG but he was good enough to be a PG with those handles. Marcus Smart will be a longer and better version of Kyle Lowry. I think in his prime he will be something like, 18-6-7 with almost 3 steals and lockdown defense.

Oladipo can't play PG in the NBA well at all.

Yeah he won't be the PG for sure but that wasn't my point, anyway Smart rules, haters suck bla bla bla.
OlDirtMcBert
Senior
And1: 157

Post#177 » by OlDirtMcBert » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:53 pm

He's the hardest competitor in the draft, from what I've seen. Smart by most accounts: lacks explosiveness, intelligence, handles, and shooting yet every time I watched him play he was slashing inside dunking in traffic, picking off lazy passes, hitting long jumpers, boarding over pivots, leading his team, and shutting down the drive. He shoots from the outside too often, so he's too much like Westbrook in the shot-selection department, but he's always the aggressor. At both ends. I don't get it; what isn't there to like?

The comparison I see most is Charles Barkley. Too fat for his position. Too short, also. Too slow. Handles too spotty. Too selfish and a head-case on top of all that. But look at how hard he plays...who else in this draft competes like that? Nobody that I see. Barkley was a bully like that. But, there were 4 or 5 guys in that draft the same way. How many are like that in this draft? Not 4 or 5, that's for sure. I think Smart's going to be the next big bully at his position. Barkley's position makes it a little different, but it's the matchup-problems that'll matter more than points. Smart is definitely the type of mash-up of size/talent that'll put opponents at his position on tilt. Look at the pgs in the league...how many can handle 230lbs that can move? He'll be an impact player, IMO. Matchup nightmare because SG is ridiculously weak right now. Smart can cause problems with guys like Harden or Curry because he's a brick wall. Positioning players always peak my interest more than the vert stats. DWade or Gerald Green?
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#178 » by freshie2 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:57 pm

OlDirtMcBert wrote:The comparison I see most is Charles Barkley. Too fat for his position. Too short, also. Too slow. Handles too spotty. Too selfish and a head-case on top of all that. But look at how hard he plays...who else in this draft competes like that? Nobody that I see. Barkley was a bully like that. But, there were 4 or 5 guys in that draft the same way. How many are like that in this draft? Not 4 or 5, that's for sure. I think Smart's going to be the next big bully at his position. Barkley's position makes it a little different, but it's the matchup-problems that'll matter more than points. Smart is definitely the type of mash-up of size/talent that'll put opponents at his position on tilt. Look at the pgs in the league...how many can handle 230lbs that can move? He'll be an impact player, IMO. Matchup nightmare because SG is ridiculously weak right now. Smart can cause problems with guys like Harden or Curry because he's a brick wall. Positioning players always peak my interest more than the vert stats. DWade or Gerald Green?

Dream scenario for Smart's camp...better ex Sixer comp is Willie Green...he's no Barkley.
Mr Sixer
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#179 » by Mr Sixer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:48 pm

Lukeem wrote:Defensive minded James harden ceiling

Rodney Stuckey floor

Sent from my C6906 using RealGM Forums mobile app

What the hell is a defensive minded James Harden? That's like saying a 3 and D version of Andre Drummond
BucksBrew
Junior
And1: 112

Post#180 » by BucksBrew » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:24 pm

My biggest comparison I see is Wade

Size, speed, strength, competitiveness, finishing after contact, neither has a great jump shot, I just keep seeing a young Wade time will tell if he can match his prime.
Blame Rasho wrote:It is the same circle jerk fans like always going on and on and the sad part is that they don't even realize how pathetic they sound to a neutral fan.

Return to NBA Draft