Marcus Smart comparisons

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Sonrisen
Banned User
And1: 125

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#181 » by Sonrisen » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:27 pm

Less efficient Rodney Stuckey. The dude shot in the 30's on threes for crying out loud. He's sooooo over rated.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#182 » by SelfishPlayer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:20 pm

Marcus Smart is nothing like a young Wade. He lacks the break down handle, speed, length, and one foot explosion.
If Smart keeps developing, he may be a Chauncey Billups. But right now he's a form of Jarret Jack and Rodney Stuckey.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
kd 35
Senior
And1: 605

Post#183 » by kd 35 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:03 pm

I don't see the Stuckey comparisons.

His 3-point shooting has never been a strength of his game. He was trying to do too much on a team that was failing to meet it's high expectations. They lost their only post player to an achilles tear early in the season and the team never was the same. The team had an offense that would often stagnate, which led to forced shots from the perimeter players. It really seemed like he was trying to prove that he could hit 3's, not only to NBA scouts, but also himself. Travis Ford was unable to bench him for poor shot selection due to a lack of depth but that won't be the case in the NBA. Therefore, I don't think he'll be shooting many 3's until he improves in that area.

With that said, that's not what teams are expecting from him anyway. He'll be an elite defender from day 1. He has a nose for the ball with steals, rebounding, blocks, and hustle plays. His anticipation for seeing things happening before they happen is amazing. He's a ballhawk in the passing lanes. He will not get outworked by anyone. He's at his best when he's attacking the rim and not settling for jump shots. He's able to absorb contact with his size and strength to draw fouls and get to the line. His size alone will let him post up smaller defenders. I think his passing skills are underrated but he does force the issue. I think part of that goes back to him trying to overcompensate and do too much. His handles and athleticism are both better than he's given credit for. Also, his wingspan is 6'9.25" so I think he has plenty of length. He still has room to lose some weight to be a bit quicker. And a lot of his weaknesses are coachable skills he can develop; including his 3-point shot and decision making.

Toine85
Lead Assistant
And1: 61

Post#184 » by Toine85 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:51 am

Wow...Rodney Stuckey comparisons? That's rough. Give this guy some credit...he deserves better than that.

I can definitely see him as a Tyreke Evans type of player.
LilLeeroy
Senior
And1: 287

Post#185 » by LilLeeroy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:32 am

You guys are underrating him, Marcus Smart reminds me of a younger Baron Davis and if he goes to the right team could easily win RoY.
OldeBoy
Junior
And1: 189

Post#186 » by OldeBoy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:33 pm

LilLeeroy wrote:You guys are underrating him, Marcus Smart reminds me of a younger Baron Davis and if he goes to the right team could easily win RoY.

That is a good comparison. One I haven't heard before.

The thing people don't talk about is he received almost zero coaching at OSU from the horrific Travis Ford. He took a lot of forced bad shots, and basically did whatever he felt like out there. That led to his poor shooting percentage. Its not like he was bricking open or shots in rhythm. With all that said he still put up pretty incredible all around numbers, and a lot of the time he was playing defense at the 4 position due to OSU's lack of any inside depth, and even then he held his own.
Sonrisen
Banned User

Post#187 » by Sonrisen » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:36 pm

LilLeeroy wrote:You guys are underrating him, Marcus Smart reminds me of a younger Baron Davis and if he goes to the right team could easily win RoY.

Baron Davis was a very good 3 point shooter; to repeat Stuckey, er, Smart shot 29% from three this past season.
OldeBoy
Junior
And1: 189

Post#188 » by OldeBoy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Sonrisen wrote:

Baron Davis was a very good 3 point shooter; to repeat Stuckey, er, Smart shot 29% from three this past season.

He said young Davis. Davis shot 23% from 3 his rookie year, and 31% his 2nd year. he was far from a good, much less very good, 3 point shooter coming into the league. And he only ended up a career 32% shooter.
BoutPractice
Senior
And1: 540

Post#189 » by BoutPractice » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:55 pm

Smart is perfectly suited to today's NBA.

He's a strong, quick, tall lead guard whose best offensive skill is his ability to aggressively drive to the rim and flop.

He might be infuriating to watch, but this ought to work.
Sonrisen
Banned User

Post#190 » by Sonrisen » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:29 pm

OldeBoy wrote:
Sonrisen wrote:

He said young Davis. Davis shot 23% from 3 his rookie year, and 31% his 2nd year. he was far from a good, much less very good, 3 point shooter coming into the league. And he only ended up a career 32% shooter.

I stand corrected, thanks for clearing that up. I just don't think he has the vision to be a pg and isn't a good enogh shooter to be a full time at, he's a combo built like a tank he cs the Stuckey comparisons
The Prodigy
Starter
And1: 469

Post#191 » by The Prodigy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:04 pm

And while I think Smart's athleticism is a bit underrated, Baron was a significantly better athlete.
KFL
Junior
And1: 300

Post#192 » by KFL » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:45 pm

A lot of players come into the league unable to shoot well. Hopefully he can work on that part of his game because if he does, watch out
OlDirtMcBert
Senior
And1: 157

Post#193 » by OlDirtMcBert » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:36 am

Sonrisen wrote:

Do you realize you can score from inside the 3point line?
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#194 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:50 am

Smart is no where near the athlete that Baron Davis was.....and he can't shoot. Take those factors away from Bdiddy, and he was not a top 10 pick. I am a person who likes intangibles, but I can't stand behind a guy when I don't see value/ability to translate core competencies.
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#195 » by Novocaine » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:15 am

Most unsurprising pick in the draft. Smart is the typical Ainge guard. A mix of Tonny Allen, Avery Bradley and JR Giddens - but with a mix of Rajon Rondo in it.

I expect him to have at least half a dozen All-D team selections throughout his career. And his dribble-penetration is surely translatable to the NBA - in fact, it'll work even better there.
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#196 » by kurtis48239 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:37 am

LloydFree wrote:
Notanoob wrote:Personally I've been saying Stuckey, if Stuckey tried hard and played defense. Their offensive games are essentially the same, but Stuckey was faster and a better finisher at this point.

'Rodney Stuckey who tries hard and plays defense'.

That's a pretty good player.

If Kevin Love tried hard in all aspects, and played Defense, he might be Larry Bird.

Honestly stuckey isnt a bad defender at all,what hurts stuckey is his inconsistency.If stuckey would have landed on a team that wasant going thru what det was at the time and didnt have so much thrown in his lap,he would have turned out way better,still decent value for a 15th pick.I think if everything turns out right for smart,he will become what stuck should have,better shot consistency and a higher pg IQ,which is a damn fine player,top 5 pg in the league.I just hope the stigma dosent follow him into the league and he turns into a knucklehead.
username_taken
Veteran
And1: 2,412

Post#197 » by username_taken » Tue Sep 9, 2014 8:40 pm

I think a realistic career expectation is a tough top-tier sixth man that can come off the bench and play near-Tony Allen level defense and get to the line.
Tave
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,356

Post#198 » by Tave » Tue Sep 9, 2014 10:03 pm

Physically he looks like Bledsoe coming out of UK, only more skilled with the ball, more assertive, a more natural defender, further along offensively, and better mechanics on his shot.
NL41
Banned User
And1: 260

Post#199 » by NL41 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:26 pm

Eric Bledsoe weighed 192 coming out. Smart weighs 227. That's 35 lbs of beef.
Tave
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,356

Post#200 » by Tave » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:39 pm

NL41 wrote:Eric Bledsoe weighed 192 coming out. Smart weighs 227. That's 35 lbs of beef.

Bledsoe also came out a year earlier, and is 3 inches shorter. Their body types are fairly similar.

Return to NBA Draft